PDA

View Full Version : somethingsphishy feedback

tpl*co
01-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Or any info on that new phsycodelic discus that they have? Anybody with any experience ordering from them or with this fish?

lhforbes12
09-28-2006, 10:06 PM
DON'T DO IT! IMO that is the worst place to get discus PERIOD, worse even than an lfs. Horrid stunted and/or diseased fish I got from them. I purchased 6 what they called "Royal Blue Emperor" or something, everyone else on planet Earth calls them Red Turquoise, except one happened to be a Cobalt. 3 of them promptly died within a day. Two ended up being somewhat acceptable fish and the other, while pretty, is stunted (he is now almost two years old and not quite 5") I also paid extra to have a morning delivery and got an afternoon one.

Ed13
09-28-2006, 10:27 PM
DON'T DO IT! IMO that is the worst place to get discus PERIOD, worse even than an lfs. Horrid stunted and/or diseased fish I got from them. I purchased 6 what they called "Royal Blue Emperor" or something, everyone else on planet Earth calls them Red Turquoise, except one happened to be a Cobalt. 3 of them promptly died within a day. Two ended up being somewhat acceptable fish and the other, while pretty, is stunted (he is now almost two years old and not quite 5") I also paid extra to have a morning delivery and got an afternoon one.

Were they shipped in the "space age shipping containers":inquisitive: :rolleyes: aka plastic jars?
Never have personally owned one from them, I have seen dozens of them, while they sent very nice(round, big and seemingly healthy) adults(that I suspect were retired and old pairs) the young ones fit Larry's description of them, one or two ok, a couple of them stunted and some that looked like they wanted to be eutahnized:mad: .

You be the judge of that!

lhforbes12
09-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Were they shipped in the "space age shipping containers":inquisitive: :rolleyes: aka plastic jars?
Never have personally owned one from them, I have seen dozens of them, while they sent very nice(round, big and seemingly healthy) adults(that I suspect were retired and old pairs) the young ones fit Larry's description of them, one or two ok, a couple of them stunted and some that looked like they wanted to be eutahnized:mad: .

You be the judge of that!

Ed,
Yep they came in plastic jars. I actually kind of like that idea though, no way to puncture them, of course who knows how many times they were slammed into the jar during shipping.

sledwood
09-28-2006, 11:26 PM
tpl*co, Do yourself a HUGE favor, don't even think about it. I got my fish from them in the infamous plastic jars, rolling around in a cardboard box without any packing material in it. All dead, of course. I called and e-mailed them but received nothing in the way of a reply. Slam, Bam, thank you ma'm. Got my money and I got six jars of dead fish.................Ed

poconogal
09-29-2006, 05:20 AM
The name of the place, somethingsphishy, is a dead give away as to the type of business they run. I've posted on SD about the fish I received, in 70 degree water, one a runt with a swimbladder problem, one died right away, one of the larger 4" fish, although nice and round, and gorgeous, had gill flukes, and one is beautiful, but stunted. Oh, and they shipped the fish a week earlier than I was expecting them. I was just about to leave the house when they arrived, in snowstorm. I was lucky enough to get a response from the owner and half the money I paid refunded. I did not yet belong to Simply, because if I did, I know I wouldn't have bought from them. Stay away, stay far, far, far away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marilyn1998
09-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Tina,

Last December I ordered 6 discus from them, a pleco, and 2 wild cories. I was getting back in the hobby.
I waited for 2 weeks for them to ship, then noticed they had only shipped the discus, and not the others so I called them. They said they would fix the problem.
NExt day, I received TWO orders, of everything! All this for my 30 gallon tank that was setup for 3 weeks! Of the 12 discus, only one lived more than 3 days. The pleco arrived DOA, but I got nothing for him since I didnt send a picture within 4 hours. The cories died in 2 weeks.
I paid for 3" fish, none of the discus were bigger than 1.5 inches. One fish had one eye, one was without a fin, and all were diseased. IT was a disaster.
My yellow fish is the only one that survuved. He looked like a severum. He is more orange than yellow and football shaped. He is the one that is so sick now with nematodes and a bacterial infection. I beleive he has had them all along.

DONT DO IT!!!!!! His fish are NOT what they are described as. And his strains are common fish with nice new names. I lost $700 on that deal and am still paing for it!

poconogal
09-29-2006, 12:09 PM
....Another way to do it if the above is not your style is most lawyers will write a letter that can wake someone up real fast. Most of these cons last thing they want to deal with is someone with a lawyer and will pay up to get on with their life.

Also very effective!
Greg, what you say has a lot of merit. I did get half my money back, which was fair since I at least got 2 decent larger fish, but I also happen to work at a law firm and let it be known and I did comply with furnishing pics immediately after receiving the fish. Unfortunately, the cost of having an attorney even write a letter in many cases would be more than the fish bill! I was thinking that everyone should get together and file a claim against them with the Better Business Bureau or something. He really needs to be put out of business.

Connie

tpl*co
09-29-2006, 02:16 PM
I once DID receive a fish from them and their (transport jars) though. It was a replacement fish for a DOA from a seller. They didn't tell me who the replacement fish was coming from and then the fish came from them. I must have lucked out since the fish was in pretty good shape and grew (was an adolescent) but from now on I won't get shipped fish anymore. (too many things happen and too many variables :(, plus I like to see what I'm getting before I pay for it!) I never intentionally ordered any fish from them though.

Tina

Fern
09-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Oh my god you are all telling my story. But I will say I did order a small order under $200 just to see what came out of it and He did reimburse me for the one DOA I must say. He did try, the funny part is the jar thing and the quality of the fish.

Could we now tell him to are the best sellers to consider from sponsors to non sponsors.

Giniel
09-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Every fish I have ordered from them dies with in 6 months with no explained reason.... I have fish from other sources that are reaching 5 years old... Please do not order from them...Check sources here on Simply...

Debbie

deesdiscus
10-01-2006, 12:12 AM
i totally agree with everyone else, got a so called pair of white diamonds sent in plastic pickle jars. when i got them in the tank the female had swim bladder disease, tried treating her she died a couple days later and the male made it about a month and died. very bad experience, e-mailed never a response. Derrick

cneal112
03-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I received 12 mixed fish from him on last Friday and none of them lasted 3 days. I had a biologist friend autopsy the fish and they died from ich of all things and were over all very bad fish.

Just to clear things up the fish did not get ich from my tank as it was a new tank and used ro water and followed his directions to the letter. I sent the guy several e-mails and he stated that his fish were not substandard and were healthy when they left and proceeded to tell me that my friend that has over 50 years exp in the field was wrong.

This guy is a piece of work. I offered to pay shipping on replacements and he said no way then he offered to split the cost of the fish and I said no way. He then retracted his offer and is refusing to do anything about it so he thinks he won. I informed him that I will simply reverse the charges on my card and he stated "that once he got the charge back he would fight it and win because he has done that before"

But sadly to say he did not stop to think to ask me what I do for a living ( attorney :angel: )

cneal112
03-22-2007, 07:20 PM
I don't really care about the money spent I feel sorry for the poor fish. The guy claims to be the largest distributor of discus in the US but the guy is only a joke. I have kept fish for may years and have had and still keep discus so it is not like I don't know what I am talking about myself but these poor fish all suffered even though I tried to treat them and save them they all passed on and it is the fault of this guy. You would think that he would learn his lesson and get out of the fish breeding business

cneal112
03-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Yeah I get that alot lol. I have never seen anything like these fish in my life. If I would have known all of this was going on by other people I would have never used his service. I can have the charges reversed but that will not teach the guy a lesson and if he is doing this to everyone then he really needs to be put out of business IMO:mad: We have laws against things like this but he seems not to care.

brewmaster15
03-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Hi all,
Just a reminder... Please share your positive and negative experiences here with this seller...but Please keep the comments down to first hand experiences..

Thanks,
al

Deadwood
04-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Well I did order from them hoping to get a deal. WRONG! Ordered 8 Discus 3 died within 12 hours 4 had some sort of bacterial infection and died 4 days later on the bright side I have one left it doing well but not eating much. Mail ordering fish seems to be real hard on them, most had nothing but bones for dorsal fins. Will I order by mail again probably not. Wish I would have found Simply Discus sooner.

sophie68
04-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi all,

Sounds like I got lucky. I ordered 3 discus from something phishy. One did die within a couple days. The other one was pretty sick but I rescued him (a blue diamond) and he still has a scar but has grown tremendously and is doing great. I am actually attached to this fish. I just hope he does not die...The last one (a mandarin) was NOT what I had ordered (!!!) but is doing okay. I think a bit stunted though....not growing very fast... Still, I quarantined these fish for almost 6 weeks because they were pretty sick when I got them...Better stay away!!!! Like somebody else mentioned, he had forgotten to ship my order so I tried to cancel it and could not. This place is not together at all. Never ordered plecos from him and will never order anything from him again.

Sophie

Desertdiscus
04-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Hello.. I had the misfortune of buying 10 discus. He sent the first five on time and there was a delay sending the next group. When I finally got a hold of him to complain, he admitted that he was shorthanded and would send me an extra discus. He did but later 2 were sick and 4 died. I wouldn't buy from him again. A year and a half later, I have 6 discus from him. I wish that I knew about simply discus before. Although, I feel fortunate compared to the other posters with worse experiences.

btlethom
04-29-2007, 03:15 PM
No matter the deal, ordering from somethingsphishy is simply not worth it. I ordered 5 discus from him before I found this feedback. They arrived and I was scared to death to open the box because it reeked of dead fish. All five were alive but covered in Ich, two of the five have fungus all over their fins. One has a huge hole in its eye. Altogether my experience with somethingphishy has been horribly. I strongly recommend steering clear of this discus mill in Florida. His operation should be illegal and shut down in my opinion. I wish I had spent my money elsewhere.

discusman66
05-04-2007, 07:58 PM
I have had the same bad experience with these clowns. I ordered ten fish and all died within in two days. I have never seen fish in such bad condition. I never did get my money back either. I decided to order from Cary Strong at Great Lake Discus. These fish were the best I have ever ordered online. Cary is a great and will answer any questions you have is cares about the fish and the customer. Great guy.:)

btlethom
05-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Good news first I got my money back for the bait I bought from somethingphishy. Bad news is I've lost the fish. It started with ICH and fungus into ended in HITH quickly. Their heads turned into hamburger within three days. Gave it my best shot though. Water changes, meds and even tried mouth to mouth on one of them. Just kidding.
Having this happen leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I really wish I would have found this feedback earlier. Nice thing about this forum is that I was able to use it for examples to show how many people have gotten screwed by this guy. And if your purchase was through a bank they will most likey go to bat for you. And if there are enough complaints made, VISA might drop him as a vendor. I'm not giving up though! I will find some quality fish this time and get my long over due fish room started after longing for it for ten years.
Thanks for reading.
Cheers

lindajewel
06-27-2007, 01:42 AM
:angry: this guy is no-good i got seven discus from him, poor fish
were so sick my tanks are clean i know it was not me.
they all died they could not stay off of the botton of the tank and would
not eat.

BOTR
11-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Pulled the trigger early, and placed an order from them, then did a search...... Saw some real winning reviews, and now I'm a bit scared.

They seem like decent people, from my chat with them, but apparently their fish are very poor, and often die hours/days after arrival?

I am really hopefull that someone here has had a decent exp. with them!

Thanks,
Chris

angelqh
11-25-2007, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't call my experience good, but I think it's better than some other's I've heard of...

I ordered 5 fish about a year ago, they all arrived alive, but 2 died within a few weeks. The other 3 are still alive. One just won't grow (I call him Bonsai) past 2". One was an "assorted discus," and the other 2 don't seem to resemble any of the fish I picked out. One has chipped eyes.

They are very pretty fish and since I don't breed and just have them to enjoy I like them very much. Now that I know a bit more about discus I have some other very nice quality fish, but my little somethings phishy guys still get their spot in the tank. :)

good luck!

Corinne

2sybs
11-25-2007, 10:56 PM
About a year ago i got 8 asst discus from Something Phishy and around 3 months later I was down to just one so i picked up a couple from an lfs. Now some of the casualties can be attributed to my own inexperience but within a few weeks the last one died. The two I got from my lfs? they are doing great. Big fat and healthy.
I have not had any more deaths since the last of that first 8 died. (knock on wood)
Would I recommend Something Phishy? I don't think so!
Try ANY of the sponsors here and you will have much better luck.
At any rate I do wish you luck and hope you do better.
Ray

White Worm
11-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Bad move. Once things go down hill, you will not be able to contact them. I have not owned any but I have seen some with my own eyes and my friend who had them realized she should never take the chance and mix them with any of her others. They either died, never grew or were sick shortly after arrival and then never grew. With so many quality sellers these days (like here in the sponsors section), no reason to take your chances with people like that. Remember, you get what you pay for. If you skimp on price or dont research the breeders feedback first, you will most times get it bad in the end. Keep us informed and do post pics.

BOTR
11-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Fish are set to arrive on Tuesday. I keep alot of exotic fish around here, and haven't lost any in a LONG time. Really stinks thinking that I may recieve 5 Discus just to see them die off. Anyway, I will post pics, hope all goes well. At least Discus are relatively cheap, and the financial impact isn't major. Shoulda spent more time on here.... Just would hate to see these guys die.....

Thanks,
Chris

poconogal
11-26-2007, 05:04 PM
I ordered from Keith at Somethings Phishy. I ordered 4 total, two 4" Discus and two 2.5" Discus.

1. They arrived a week early, in a snow storm, totally unexpected even though I had a confirmed arrival date, for a week later.
2. Water in their stupid jars was a bit below 60 degrees.
3. One of the 2.5" fish died right away, the other was flat on its side, where it remained for the rest of its life, another 14 mos.
4. The two 4" fish were nice, but one, my PB, had gill flukes that took me awhile to get rid of. The other, my BD, was stunted.
5. The two 4" Discus have grown, my BD is larger, but still a stunted Discus, however she is a pretty decent BD with nice color. My PB is just a small Discus, doesn't really seem stunted, just a smaller Discus (about 5" SL), also not the best shaped, has a sort of straight forehead, but I've seen lots that were worse.

I contacted Keith by email immediately upon the arrival of the fish, and I attached pics of the ill ones. He did refund half of my total price, including shipping, but I think its because I made sure to contact him immediately, and made sure to include the pics. Also, since they shipped a week early on top of it all!

However, I would never order from them again, you just don't know what you'll get. It's just not worth it.

BOTR
11-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Already not looking good. He was supposed to give me tracking info. today, but I cant seem to reach him. Hopefully he shipped them out, tomorrow is the only day I have arranged to be here for delivery.

I guess if they dont show I can cancel and hopefully find a local breeder, or try one of the sponsers here....

Bainbridge Mike
11-27-2007, 01:14 AM
I deleted a few posts above that were wandering a bit too much. Lets please try to keep discussion in this section limited to first hand experiences with the product or breeder at issue.

Thanks,
Mike

poconogal
11-27-2007, 12:34 PM
That is because he corresponds by email only ~ he told me because: " I have to cut cost somewhere Marie "......O...kay...then...

That was a red flag for me.;)

I have a dear friend that was sent crap and they died ~ he would not replace them and only refunded a small portion of her money ~

I simply can not believe he is still in business ~

Where is Connie? I know she dealt with this fool too!

Here I am Marie! I posted before you - I was one of the lucky ones in my dealings with somethingsphishy!

aquaworks
11-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi,I Purchased Mixed Discus from SomethingsPhishy,they were Mixed Discus, so I wasn't Expecting Perfection.When they got here I noticed a few were Stunted,and about three weren't,the three that weren't stunted belonged to the same Strain,they looked like White Pigeon Bloods.After I Acclimated them to my Aquarium,Two of the Three that weren't Stunted Started to Rock back and forth and eventually Died.I've never had Fish do that before.Well after Eighty Percent Daily Water Changes, and a variety of Food. The Fish started to Pack on some Muscle,and after Feeding Plankton the Fish Started to Fill out.All of those fish are still alive after a year and a Half.I ordered a 2.5 inch Show Quality Aqua Green Scribble from him about Eight Months ago,and when it arrived it looked like a Decent Fish,but I didn't think it was Show quality, It has Grown into what I would call a show quality fish.How he knew it was going to be a show quality Fish at Two Inches I have no idea.I think I have figured out why the Fish are Dying at Arrival,he say's he ships them in Pure Reverse Osmosis Water,in all the Book's it says that nothing can live in Pure Reverse Osmosis Water.When they arrive, most People are using Conditioned Tap Water,what a shock for the fish.I think that if you Order your Fish through him you should be using Soft,slightly Acidic water.If you order Mixed Discus from them,some of the Discus are most likely going to be stunted.The person that runs the Place is hard to get ahold of and acts like he really doesn't want to talk.I hope this helps.It really is the best bet to get Quality fish from the beginning.I've heard alot of people suggesting International Discus,and KC Discus.

thebeaunes
12-12-2007, 03:15 PM
I ordered from Somethings Phishy about 6 months ago. I received my 6 2" mixed discus on time, but 1 was DOA and 2 more died within 1 hour of being acclimated to the quarantine tank. Since then the other 3 are still alive but one is stunted. It has not grown at all since I got it. Still only 2"....the other two seem to be doing fine, I have not had any problem with them being ill, although when I de-wormed them they had ALOT of worms. They seem to be a bit small but have started to fill out and grow, they are about 4" now. They have nice color, but their shape is not quite right...they seem a bit long with straight foreheads...quite different from my other discus. All in all the experience with Somethings Phishy was not a good one, even though I did receive a refund for the DOA, I would not recommend ordering from them.

Also, they were not shipped with rubber bands. The bags were sealed with plastic ties and much of the water had leaked out before they got to my house. I had never had that happen before and every fish I have ordered in the past was always sealed with rubber bands.

White Worm
12-14-2007, 12:51 AM
I saw the discus that Colette received from them and she also decided to never mix those when any of her nice discus that she received from quality sources. They never grew and then they died so she didnt have to worry about it after that. After I saw how she grew the others, I know it was bad fish from phishy.

TRAKURT
12-14-2007, 02:18 AM
:(

Apistomaster
12-27-2007, 11:59 PM
I bought my Heckels from Keith, my breeding Sturisoma stock and altogether nearly $3000 in fancy plecos and wild discus.
I also bought these discus as youngsters from Keith. One could argue whether it is show quality but it has been the favorite of all my discus by those who have seen what I have.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/DSC_9821.jpg
I think you should have experience handling trans-shipped fish or as a beginner, you may get in over your head and should stick with sponsors. I have a great deal of experience with handling trans-shipped fish because that is how I bought when I had a store. I bought in box lots, fish were often half dead but I saved most so my mark up could be quite high yet remain competitive.
I did have a separate large holding facility to condition and treat my trans-shipped fish.

So my advice is to be prepared if you order from trans-shippers. It is an entirely different business than discus breeding or discus specialists.

discus bob
01-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Already not looking good. He was supposed to give me tracking info. today, but I cant seem to reach him. Hopefully he shipped them out, tomorrow is the only day I have arranged to be here for delivery.

I guess if they dont show I can cancel and hopefully find a local breeder, or try one of the sponsers here....

What happened? I was following this, then..... Did the fish arrive?

Max Power
01-22-2008, 11:15 AM
I ordered from Keith, and then prompty did some internet research right AFTER ordering, unfortunately. Many negative comments, almost no positive ones except on his own website(duh), a policy page that references profanity from customers and CC chargebacks (a serious red flag if there ever was one), so I got cold feet and cancelled the order an hour later. After an hour he had already run the card even though I was scheduling delivery for three weeks from now (most reputable businesses run the card when they ship), and got nailed with a 20% restocking fee.

I consider it a fine for stupidity on my part, but damn, the picture of the Fire Dragon on his site is a beautiful fish. Lesson learned. I am new to this community, but have raised many Discus in the past. In the future I will be using sponsors of this site for stock.

Apistomaster
01-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Wow Apistomaster,Thats a beautiful Fish.What Strain is that?I think I would call that a Show Quality Fish.Do you know of any good Quality Discus Wholesalers in Florida or the United States?

That is a "fire dragon". Pretty but not like what is shown on the website.
I have not been able to find a source of nice wilds for almost two years.
Everyone tells me they are going to Japan at 4X the price we will pay for them.

happygirl65
02-07-2008, 07:35 PM
I wish I had seen this area of the site before I ordered from them. They are my first discus experience and I wish I could say it was better.
They communicated well though so far and promised to give me a refund for the 2 DOA so hopefully they will. It has only been a day and the 4 that survived are struggling but I suspect it has more to do with a 2 day ordeal in shipping than bad health or anything like that.

Time will tell I guess but in the future I will stick to sponsors here especially because I am a newbie to discus (and to having fish shipped to me)

happygirl65
02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
I wish I had seen this area of the site before I ordered from them. They are my first discus experience and I wish I could say it was better.
They communicated well though so far and promised to give me a refund for the 2 DOA so hopefully they will. It has only been a day and the 4 that survived are struggling but I suspect it has more to do with a 2 day ordeal in shipping than bad health or anything like that.

Time will tell I guess but in the future I will stick to sponsors here especially because I am a newbie to discus (and to having fish shipped to me)

Well, It has been almost a week two of the 6 are ok. One is very sick. Three have died so far. They gave me a refund for the two that were DOA. I would not suggest a newbie order from them...although for all I know they sent me some that werent great because they knew I was a newbie and thought I might not know better? I am speculating on that but they didn't seem in the best of health...but then 2 days in shipping who knows what could have happened. I felt they mislead me about the long shipping stating that the fish would be fine for two days or even longer. They were not fine, not healthy. Whether they started out that way or the shipping did it, I can't say.

My suggestion for anyone reading this is not to buy from them. Stick to sponsors here or people that have overwhelming positive reviews here and other places. :) I think if you can visit their facility and pick your fish it might be ok...but you better have an isolated QT. ;)

jgentry
02-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Hi,
I am new to the forums and found this thread only a couple of days after I had ordered from somethingsphishy.com. That made me extremely neverious and I pretty much expected half or all my fish to show up dead. I ordered 3 assorted 2 in discus and a gold nugget pleco and an albino brushynosed pleco. All arrived alive and well packed. I got the fish on Saturday, today is Wed and all seem to be eating well and active. One is a blue diamond, one is some sort of firey red/orange color and one is more plain with a blueish red color and strong vertical bars (this ones not showing much color yet). The blue diamond arrived a little beat up and a little thin, he didn't eat for the first 2 days but is now swimming arround the tank and attacking food. The other 2 ate within 24 hours and were fat and healthy. Keith the owner answered my questions quickly and seemed like a good enough guy. I think if you fallow the instructions he emails you when they ship and there website policies you will not have any trouble with refunds or keeping your fish alive. The only thing wrong with my fish is one of the discus has showed a spot or 2 that is most likely a pariste, so your definately need to quarenteen the fish like he says to. I'm hoping some good care and my addition on a U.V. sterilizer will take care of it. These are my first discus after being a long time saltwater and aggressive cichlid hobbiest so I hope all continues to go well.

aquagal
02-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi,
I am new to the forums and found this thread only a couple of days after I had ordered from somethingsphishy.com. That made me extremely neverious and I pretty much expected half or all my fish to show up dead. I ordered 3 assorted 2 in discus and a gold nugget pleco and an albino brushynosed pleco. All arrived alive and well packed. I got the fish on Saturday, today is Wed and all seem to be eating well and active. One is a blue diamond, one is some sort of firey red/orange color and one is more plain with a blueish red color and strong vertical bars (this ones not showing much color yet). The blue diamond arrived a little beat up and a little thin, he didn't eat for the first 2 days but is now swimming arround the tank and attacking food. The other 2 ate within 24 hours and were fat and healthy. Keith the owner answered my questions quickly and seemed like a good enough guy. I think if you fallow the instructions he emails you when they ship and there website policies you will not have any trouble with refunds or keeping your fish alive. The only thing wrong with my fish is one of the discus has showed a spot or 2 that is most likely a pariste, so your definately need to quarenteen the fish like he says to. I'm hoping some good care and my addition on a U.V. sterilizer will take care of it. These are my first discus after being a long time saltwater and aggressive cichlid hobbiest so I hope all continues to go well.

Your experience sounds better than some I have heard. As a contrast, I ordered 6 juvenilles from Cary with GLD (a sponsor of this site) and all six arrived fat and healthly, no signs of disease and ate like pigs from the first day they arrived. I've had them now for 3 months and I could not be happier. Buyer BEWARE!

jgentry
02-13-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm satified with what I got from them, but I think this many bad experiences definately says something. Buy the time I paid shipping I probably would have been just as well of to buy them locally.

YSS
02-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Found this somewhere else about them.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109390

terps
02-13-2008, 04:26 PM
http://westflorida.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=47&bbb=0653&firm=90011934

http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchresults.asp?q1=ALL&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0&submit2=Search%21&q5=somethingsphishy&Search=Search

Some good advice is to never order anything from a website that doesn't list the seller's full name, phone number or street address.

DiscusChris
02-22-2008, 03:42 PM
I must have been a lucky one too. I ordered 4 juvies, payed $90 shipped for everything, and got the fish less than 18 hours after they left FL. All of the fish were more than 2" and acclimated right away without any problems. These guys made a great addition to my tank!

Sorry to all of you who had a bad experience.

chuckbam
02-22-2008, 04:19 PM
I have never done any business with them. But, I talked to a lady just yesterday that was not happy with her order. She said several died and the Pigeon Bloods had lots of pepper. They where willing to give her a credit for the dead ones. She wanted a refund because she did not want to pay the freight again. I guess it would have been a wash.

happygirl65
02-22-2008, 06:02 PM
I ordered 6 from them 3 survived....I spent two weeks medicating them as one was on deaths door upon arrival. So far the three remaining are healthy and he did give me a refund for the 2 fish that died in shipping.
Overall it was not a good experience. I felt I was misled as to the health of these fish and several people have told me they look stunted.

alxjss
02-23-2008, 01:19 AM
I have never bought from them. For the simple reason? I researched and asked here on the forum and took their word that "Something Fishy" is exactly what they claim. If u think u r getting a bargan from them, sounds real good, but u get what u pay for. The sponsers here r wonderful. They back up all their fish and gaurentee their fish. All i can say is u cant go wrong w/buying fish from the sponsers here. May cost a little bit more, but hey, ur fish will be the "Ultimate". thats all i have to say.

Kindredspirit
02-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Some good advice is to never order anything from a website that doesn't list the seller's full name, phone number or street address.

...and when I asked for a phone number ~ I was told that they do not do business on the phone! ***? " we must cut cost, somewhere, Marie"

Okay then.

Email only ~ this was a big red flag to me ~ I never bought from him:D

But ~ a good friend did ~ total disaster:(

happygirl65
02-23-2008, 12:41 PM
I thought I had researched too, couldnt find much out there....this was before I found this section of this site....too bad for me....but hopefully others reading these can be saved some heartache and realize that if you pay for shipping plus some inexpensive fish but only half or less survive, your price just doubled! Add to that, the money for all the meds to make them better once you've got them. And you would have paid less in the long run to just use a sponsor or more reputable dealer.

Courtney1983
02-25-2008, 09:47 PM
I ordred 3 Discus's and a bunch of feeder guppies and black worms, all the guppies where in one big bag about 100 guppies and all dead and stunk, the Discus's one died right away and the other red one is still alive and a adult but it killed the blue one :( the blue one didnt even grow, i did get my money back from the guppies only because i kept bothering him about my money, my mom loves Discus's and i try even know i dont have alot of money to get her ones she likes/loves :(

LostAcres
03-08-2008, 03:39 PM
I guess I must have been one of the lucky ones also.. I did make the mistake of ordering before coming across this forum, and then got really worried. My fish left FLorida at 7pm and arrived at my house in Va at 9 am inthe morning. Po even called for me to pick them up, so they would not sit in the mailcarriers vehicle all day. I order 6 discus, 2", and while a couple of them were smaller then that, one is defiinately bigger then 2 inches. The bagging was incredible, doublebagged, no water loss, I acclimated the fish after inspecting them and released them 1/2 hour later. A bit stressed, they went into hiding for a few hours. I offered them alittle food (bloodworms) which some of them took but they staid in hiding. After turning off the light during the night, and turning it back on this morning, they are ALL over the tank, eating well, all look healthy, active, etc. Lets hope I stay one of the lucky ones, and they stay as healthy as they look now. Keeping fingers cross. I must add though that Keith is a little testy LOL

White Worm
03-08-2008, 05:23 PM
How about some pictures?

LostAcres
03-08-2008, 06:55 PM
How about some pictures?

Are you asking me? I took a picture of the red Siam last night, they all jsut arrived yesterday morning. DOING GREAT. If you want to see the one I took last night will be happy to post it

LostAcres
03-08-2008, 07:11 PM
How about some pictures?
Here is the Siam Red....taken last night, about 7 hours after they arrived. http://la-production.com/siamred.jpg
http://la-production.com/siamred2.jpg

Just took these now. sorry for the quality. but if someone can identify the type? I got the Red Siam, and then 5 of the mixed bag. Not sure what they are. SOme are bluish, and some are showing some yellow
http://la-production.com/discus1.jpg
http://la-production.com/discus2.jpg
http://la-production.com/discus3.jpg

aquagal
03-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Looks like you skipped the quarantine for the new arrivals. You should know you may have some issues. You may not, but you may. If you read through the posts on this site on quarantine, you'll see some of the many benefits you get from segregating the new fish for at least 6 weeks before adding them to the main tank.

Also, I used to have a planted tank for my juvenilles and finally gave up on them (the plants that is). It was too difficult to keep the plants healthy with so many water changes needed to keep the discus vibrant.

LostAcres
03-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Looks like you skipped the quarantine for the new arrivals. You should know you may have some issues. You may not, but you may. If you read through the posts on this site on quarantine, you'll see some of the many benefits you get from segregating the new fish for at least 6 weeks before adding them to the main tank.

Also, I used to have a planted tank for my juvenilles and finally gave up on them (the plants that is). It was too difficult to keep the plants healthy with so many water changes needed to keep the discus vibrant.

This was a brand new tank. Nothing in it. Set up just for the Discus. Added a few cory cats last night. It has been cycling for 3 weeks, seeded, and all parameters were correct. The discus were the first fish added to it. I am not new to fishkeeping, having raised bettas for a few years, but I AM new to discus. I know I have a lot to learn about these guys, so I am open to anything I am doing wrong. Learning is what it is all about.

Here are more pictures I just took. Not sure what type they are
http://la-production.com/discus5.jpg
http://la-production.com/discus6.jpg
http://la-production.com/discus7.jpg
http://la-production.com/discus8.jpg
http://la-production.com/discus9.jpg
http://la-production.com/discus10.jpg

LostAcres
03-08-2008, 07:37 PM

Aquagal, I just realized you are not far from where I am. I am in Linden, Va. Close to Front Royal.

aquagal
03-08-2008, 08:11 PM
yup, not far.

I almost ordered from SomethingsPhishy and found the reviews on this web site just before and decided not too.

I wish you the best of luck with your fish and am glad your experience has been good so far.

Lots of good info on this site, I have learned a ton since last November.

LostAcres
03-08-2008, 08:17 PM
yup, not far.

I almost ordered from SomethingsPhishy and found the reviews on this web site just before and decided not too.

I wish you the best of luck with your fish and am glad your experience has been good so far.

Lots of good info on this site, I have learned a ton since last November.

Yes I am learning too. I made the mistake to order before I read the forum. If it had been vs versa, I would never have ordered. I was holding my breath, trust me. So far, so good. And I will continue to read this website, and continue to learn. Just as I have with my Koi. 3 ponds biggest one 2000gallon and 6 yr old Koi that are healthy and happy and over 30 inches. Tons of work and tons of fun. Thanks for talking with me

White Worm
03-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Yes, discus will always keep you in the learning curve. Sounds like you may have had a better experience than most but the common fact here is that they are selling culls. It looks like you may have 3 decent ones but the others are most likely older than you think and quite stunted. Keep them well fed, keep the water clean and you just might have some nice pet discus. However, dont order from them again.

LostAcres
03-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Yes, discus will always keep you in the learning curve. Sounds like you may have had a better experience than most but the common fact here is that they are selling culls. It looks like you may have 3 decent ones but the others are most likely older than you think and quite stunted. Keep them well fed, keep the water clean and you just might have some nice pet discus. However, dont order from them again.

I won't order again. After reading this forum and looking at the fish, I realize that the eyes on 3 of them are much larger then the other three. Guess thats is a sign of "Stunting". I learned my lesson...but will do what i can with the fish I recieved. Will post updated pics, as they grow, or do NOT grow. Thanks again

jgentry
03-12-2008, 11:25 AM
It's been almost 2 months since my somethingfishey order and all the fish that I ordered are alive and eating well. I would have to agree that they are not the best quality fish. 2 of the 3 discus are growing great but one has very little color and the other has a lot of peppering (not a problem with me, but I know a lot of you don't like it and want fish without it). The 3rd fish is a blue diamond and it hasn't grown at all. It is still at best a little over 2 inches while the other 2 are already 4 inches. It had large eyes and was a little thin when it arrived, it also is not a very well shaped discus. It is shaped like a crappie. I bought 3 other discus from a local store and they are showing more color and seem to be better fish. All my fish made it, so I can't complain. But you will most likely get higher quality fish elsewhere.

jgentry
03-13-2008, 03:04 PM
I guess your right, I probably should complain about getting an inferior product. But that is what I get for ordering without doing proper research. If I would have found this site first I would have never ordered from them. Live and learn.

scowley
03-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I just received an order from Somethingsphishy and one of the five "Assorted 2 inchers" has a bad case of fin rot. The tail was mostly gone and the fins above and below were rotting away. When I tried to notify Keith Titus he never responded. I left a negative review on his site which was promptly deleted and my account removed. Before receiving the fish I tried to contact him 3 times about which colors he sent and other questions but never got a reply. I have read several negative reviews about how he has shipped Jack Dempsy's as Flowerhorns or cheaper types of Flowerhorns in place of bigger more expensive types.

bluedisc
03-18-2008, 04:16 PM
We ordered a butterfly pleco.price with shipping seemed reasonable the fish was shipped on a monday at 5:30 P.M. arrived 10:30 A.M. tuesday the pleco was alive.The Guarantee is,he Guarantees is a live arrival period.It came well packed in styrofoam box inside a cardboard Box.The heating pack was terrible the bags water was very hot the pleco was extremly stressed only survived less then twelve hours in my Hospital tank .

tkeller00
03-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Go figure, I ordered from this place and my fish are coming tomorrow!! Man I hate when I dont research enough on the web. Oh well Live and Learn. I should have know it was too good to be true that his site had 100% feedback and nothing under 5 stars :confused:

tkeller00
03-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Well my fish came today, and they seem to be fine, pretty good color, but the packing was a little shoddy. I also got a pair of killifish from them as well, and they were packed great, double bagged, and banded correctly, I was told that these fish came from another breeder he knows, so probably packed by the breeder. I have the fish in my quarantine tank right now. I'll keep you posted on how they do.. :shocked2:

Apistomaster
03-26-2008, 05:45 PM
For the sake of balance. I bought these ten Heckels from somethingsphishy May, '06.
They turned out alright from my perspective. I spent $3000, mainly on plecos but I got their phone number by request.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/3-22Heckel2.jpg

chuckbam
03-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Dear Larry,
I do like the Heckels. They are very striking. For being a 3K customer, you deserved extra good treatment.

Lee C
03-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Larry,
I agree with Chuckbam, those are some healthy Heckels;)

regards,
Lee

tkeller00
03-31-2008, 03:12 PM
Well of my order that arrived 2 weeks ago, 1 died the 2nd day, 4 are still alive, but not in very good shape, colors are slowly getting better, but they still refuse to eat with any regularity. Ive tried feeding about everything I could find, live, frozen, flake. I'm starting to think that the rest will probably die soon as well. They all arrived in very poor shape. Never again would I order from there. :mad:

bluedisc
04-10-2008, 03:20 PM
I just had to try him again for a fair chance, I bought another butterfly pleco and two red siam 2" discarrived in good shape this time,four weeks in my hospital tank, all is good they show good growth and color two weeks now in there new home, the disc now about 2.75 inch in length getting fat.

jonathan strihan
09-17-2008, 06:43 PM
what ever you do-DO not buy anything from that sneak and cheat KEITH, he will smoothtalk you and u might think he's on the legit only to be scarmed w dead fish. KEEP your discus family safe from his contaimented fishes. B:balloon:e warned and take care>

jonathan strihan
09-17-2008, 07:44 PM
I spent over 400$ and 4-7 are now dead and my tank is now contaimented, i have to start a new tank and hope my orginals family members stay alive long enough. THE owner is rude mean and old man drag queen type that will do anything for your money, trust me STAY AWAY from somethingsphisy because it IS!!!

takasumi
10-15-2008, 09:22 PM
I bought 2 fire dragon discus from Keith at somethingspishy. One actually is starting to look like the pictured discus.....the other.....I don't know what strain it is from? Not a Fire dragon! I assure you! They're also growing at a great rate!(about 4 inches now! I bought them at 2 inches!)

They're alive and healthy at this moment 4 months after purchase, quarantine and medication treatments!

I'm sorry for those that got majorly ripped off! That sucks!

Apistomaster
10-16-2008, 11:36 AM
I bought 6 somethingsphishy.com "Fire Dragons" @ 2", all lived and here is how they looked at nearing maturity. I don't know if they looked like your's but none looked like the example shown on the website. They appear to me to be a colorful Red Turquoise variant.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/DSC_9809.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/FireDragon-1.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/FireDragon0001.jpg
I sold them because they were poor breeders, something I find is common among most Discus imported from SE Asia. They were very colorful and attractive to most who saw them.

fishy_dude
10-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Well, unfortunatley, I purchsed 8 discus from these people and found this website a day latter. I too checked out the feedback on their website and saw all of the good things said and figured I would give it a try. The fish arrived as stated somewhere in this thread and as soon as I opened the box it smelled horrible, like dead fish. I figred things would be bad. He at least double baged them instead of using his "high tech" shipping containers. All fish were alive, one barely. After getting them in the tank, I checked them out the next day and the four blue diamonds look pretty nice. Good color, nice eyes, in good shape, no runts or stunted growth. The other four that are of the red melon variety, they looked horrible. It looked as if they had not been fed in weeks, so skinny you could see the bones, looked like the spine in their bodies. I emailed Keith about the issues and he did what everyone said in previous posts, he said he did not ship bad discus and told me I was too aggressive when I told him that he reacted just like everyone said he would and said my account was frozen and there would be no more contact with me, awww, that really hurt my feelings, he froze my account. Be serious, I emailed him and told him to cancel my account as I would never waste my time or money there again. I actually found four different websites where people have had the same experiece as described here and put up bad reviews. The BBB has lots of bad ratings for them too!!

I have had the discus for a little over a week now and lucky for me after treating the tank and lots of feeding with daily water changes they are starting to look much much better. Fattening up and getting some color in them. Hopefully they are close to getting outta the woods.

Please do not spend your money here. From joining and doing some research on this website there seem to be many GOOD dealers here to buy Discus from.

Joshcat
11-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Wow, reading all these posts is really depressing me:(. My husband and I just spent a ton of money to set up a 56 gallon discus aquarium, live plants, excellent filtration system, we went all out to do this right.

We searched our local fish stores and were not really impressed with what we found. We stumbled upon somethingphishy's web site and read tons and tons of positive reviews. So we figured this seems like a great way to go!

We are awaiting 8 juveniles of different coloration's wanting a variety. I'm going to be so upset if these fish are not a good quality or unhealthy or even worse dead. My excitement has now turned to disappointment. This is something we have been saving for a long time.

It's a shame we didn't find these posts earlier. I guess all we can do is hope for the best.

alan j t
11-10-2008, 02:07 PM
good luck
if you can cancel your order:(

Kindredspirit
11-10-2008, 11:30 PM
We stumbled upon somethingphishy's web site

Oh Dear. Well, I shall pray for you ~ who knows, there have been lucky folks.

How did you find Simply? So sorry it was kinda late! Just make sure you QT these fish when they come in. Don't dip your hands into other tanks, and separate equipment as well ~

Good Luck!

DiscusDude85
11-11-2008, 07:05 AM
Wow, reading all these posts is really depressing me:(. My husband and I just spent a ton of money to set up a 56 gallon discus aquarium, live plants, excellent filtration system, we went all out to do this right.

We searched our local fish stores and were not really impressed with what we found. We stumbled upon somethingphishy's web site and read tons and tons of positive reviews. So we figured this seems like a great way to go!

We are awaiting 8 juveniles of different coloration's wanting a variety. I'm going to be so upset if these fish are not a good quality or unhealthy or even worse dead. My excitement has now turned to disappointment. This is something we have been saving for a long time.

It's a shame we didn't find these posts earlier. I guess all we can do is hope for the best.\

Sorry to hear about your loss!. I hope all goes well but chances are they wont. Good luck

Joe

GrillMaster
11-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Just want to reitterate that the livestock and product review is for first hand experience only! Replies not pertaining to this effect will be edited or removed. Thanks guys an gals.

Joshcat, Hopefully your experience is a positive one and hope you will reply to this thread whatever your experience may be. :)

fishy_dude
11-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Update on my somethings phishy discus purchase. Knock on wood, all is going pretty well. No loses yet and it's been almost a month. They are all doing well and eating like the little pigs they are, getting some girth and growing pretty well. Colors are looking dag on good too. Hopefully this does not jinx me. I went to his webiste and did the online chat thing with him and found out he does some importing and only breeds a few strains himself. Maybe I got lucky and received some of his imports?

Joshcat, hope things work out for you guys. What types of discus did you buy? If they are not deceased when you get them, have some faith in the little guys and feed them well with plenty of water changes and things may work out well.

Let us know how it goes and good luck, take care, Brian

Joshcat
11-14-2008, 08:39 PM
We got the little guys yesterday and they are all alive and kicking. I ordered an assortment not knowing what we would end up with. I believe we have 5 blue diamonds, 1 red turquoise, 1 aqua green scribble and 1 red passion.

6 of them are doing great and 2 of the blue diamonds have their fins clamped up, are very dark and not eating well or swimming much. I'm hoping that after a few days they will not be so stressed and take a turn in the right direction. Out of the 8, the three that are not blue diamonds seem to be better quality fish.

They are all babies about 3" some a little bigger, some a little smaller. I've already grown attached to the little guys. The 6 that are healthy, are little piggies and each of them have a personality of their own. They have eaten everything I have introduced to the tank, frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, flakes and pellets.

The reason I didn't pick specific strains of coloration is because it was more costly doing it that way, and I was already skeptical about ordering via on-line. One of the reasons I chose "somethingphishy" was because they were one of the closest hatcheries to me. My LFS didn't have much to offer and were asking $110 for "3 blue diamonds/ 3" white diamonds and 3" red turquoise, which I felt was ridiculous.

After reading the posts on here, Keith got several e mails from me regarding my concerns (lol). In his defense he was very prompt in addressing all my concerns and has even e mailed me inquiring about the 2 that are not doing so well, wanting me to keep him posted on their status. What he will do if by chance they do not make it remains to seen.

I hoping they all make it being an avid fish lover. It always upsets me when I loose any of my fish, having owned aquariums for 21 years now. This is a new venture setting up a tank solely for discus. My husband and I have already gone out and bought 2 more 55 gallons and are cycling them for discus as well. THE DISCUS ADDICTION BEGINS!

Although I'm not sure that any of these little guys will be prize winners. To thus point, I am not disappointed. I'll keep you posted as to their progression.

Josh and Cathy Eisenman

takasumi
11-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Apistomaster!
My Fire dragons don't look anything like the ones in your pictures! I wish that I could find my usb for my camera because I would send you a picture of them!
Unfortunatly although, I lost one of them to a horrible PH drop in my aquarium(along with 2 other old timers!)

I believe that I received pidgeon blood discus. It too bad, too. I lost the reddest and most beautiful one of the pair. It had spots coming in all over it's body and was getting redder and redder each day that it lived.
That fish was a BIG TIME fighter before it passed!
I could've taught that fish how to jump through flaming hoops. It was SO tame and friendly!
Anyway. When I finally fing my wire for the camera, I'll post an older pic and you can let me know what a professional thinks of my "Fire Dragon" pidgeon discus!

Patr1ck
12-12-2008, 04:33 AM
I've placed 2 orders with them. No problems. Nicely packaged inside of a light blue bag inside of a styrofoam box inside of a cardboard box, also had a heat pack in it. Fish were in excellent shape. This link shows one of them that I got. Sorry about the bad pic it doesnt do the fish justice. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=67298
I would order from them again.:thumbsup:

P

philip69285
12-13-2008, 01:11 PM
I too sadly order from this site. A friend and I went in on 12 assorted discus to find one red melon spinning in circles (later died). 4 others where very dark in color and later died as well and one of the blue diamonds I got just randomly went crazy and died one day. I basically got 4 discus and he got 2. The ones that lived are doing great and growing... so far. We talked with Keith and he agree'd to give us 50% off our next order to try again. So, we both tried again. This time I ordered a Fire Red Dragon and a Red Leopard and he ordered 6 more assorted. The Fire Red came in at 4inches even tho I ordered a 2in fish. It looked horribled and was darker in color than it should be and very skinny. The Red Leopard tho came in awsome and was swimming with my other fish right away... other than having a hole in its fin which is now healing. I treated the dragon for internal parasites and it died right away after being treated. Out of my friends all have died and now his older ones are dieing. I talked with him again about this issue and he did the same thing to that he has done to others and also froze my account (Im so sad). DO NOT ORDER FROM HIM EVER.

philip69285
12-14-2008, 12:55 PM
I have not given up on this wonderful hobby. I already have an order placed for 7 more discus but from Backyarddiscus instead. Even after killing almost 10 or so discus from Keith I learned it wasn't just me and it was him. Try try again is what I always say. But the last 5 from Keith are doing great so Im very happy with that. But still would never ever buy off him ever again.

GrillMaster
12-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Please keep comments to personal experiences. Thanks...:)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/view.php?pg=rules_reviews

adavis829
12-17-2008, 10:13 PM
I just ordered from here 2 weeks ago. The worst experience ever. I paid 65 dollars for overnight shipping. It took 2 nights and a half day for them to get here. The low was in the 20s where I live. I ordered 4 assorted discus, they were in bags but had barely a cup of water in them. The water was frigid and foul. They were highly stressed and refused to eat for several days. Customer service was horrible, they told me if I was not happy about how my fish were shipped I should order from somewhere else. I tried to put a bad review on their site multiple times and they kept deleting it. I continued to put it up and now they have blocked my computer from accessing their site. 3 of the 4 are decently colored although not sure what they are. The fourth one is really kinda mud colored. They are all fairly young I suppose or according to other posts here very stunted.

terps
01-28-2009, 11:09 AM
The Better Business Bureau gives them a rating of 'F'. That's as low as they rate a company. Stay away.

http://westflorida.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=47&bbb=0653&firm=90011934

pcsb23
02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Folks, may I respectfully remind you that only first hand experiences should be posted in this section.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/view.php?pg=rules_reviews

Thanks.

darkknight87
03-16-2009, 07:54 PM
I must say..I actually have done just well with Keith.
Ive placed a total of 3 orders with him..and although Ive lost several of the fish after a long period of time..I do not attribute that to a problem with the particular fish..and most of them i recieved from him were vibrant and healthy..not the best vendor Ive delt with..but much better than others. He reponds well to my emails and when I did loose some, he offered me discounts and made up for what I had lost.

David Rose
07-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi All,

I started up my 75 gallon tank and wanted to stock Discus again. Being new to the Harrisburg, Pa area, I found only one store that carried Discus bread locally that seemed poor quality, so I "Googled" online to quickly find SomethingPhishy.com. Regrettably, I had already placed two orders within a few weeks apart before finding the Simply Discus forum as a resource and mostly negative member comments about SomethingPhishy.com. From my personal experience in 06/2009, SOMETHINGPHISHY.COM is defintely NOT RECOMMENDED.

Why? My first order was for two Red Snakeskins and I received two Blue Snakeskins. After sending a photo to point out the mixup, I was offered a 20% discount on my next order, which would not even come close to the cost of shipping. The second order that was already in process containing two Blue Diamonds and two Yellow Siam Masters they arrived to my surprise misshapen, poor quality and have been sickly taking weeks of tlc and time to nurse back to health. Again SomethingPhishy offered nothing of consequence to assist me.

IME, SomethingPhishy seriously lacks good ethics, quality control and customer service at this time. IMO SimplyDiscus sponsors and members are much more reputable as a resource to patronize.

Sincerely,
David

terps
09-28-2009, 05:29 AM
From the BBB.

"BBB Rating for SomethingsPhishy.com

Based on BBB files, SomethingsPhishy.com has a BBB Rating of F on a scale from A+ to F.
Reasons for this rating include:

* 20 complaints filed against business
* Failure to respond to 18 complaints filed against business.
* BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business.
* One complaint filed against business that was not resolved.

"Business Contact and Profile for SomethingsPhishy.com
Name: SomethingsPhishy.com
Phone: (813) 672-3002
Address: 13006 Prestwick Dr
Riverview, FL 33569-7046

Just search for 'somethingsphishy' for all the details at the Better Business Bureau link. Click Florida for the state.

http://westflorida.bbb.org/Business-Search/

VIOLIN33
09-28-2009, 10:33 AM
dont you do it the worst place to get anything,they are rude and the fish are not worth having, buy from someone on this site...dave:

Dkarc@Aol.com
09-28-2009, 11:00 AM
From the BBB.

"BBB Rating for SomethingsPhishy.com

Based on BBB files, SomethingsPhishy.com has a BBB Rating of F on a scale from A+ to F.
Reasons for this rating include:

* 20 complaints filed against business
* Failure to respond to 18 complaints filed against business.
* BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business.
* One complaint filed against business that was not resolved.

"Business Contact and Profile for SomethingsPhishy.com
Name: SomethingsPhishy.com
Phone: (813) 672-3002
Address: 13006 Prestwick Dr
Riverview, FL 33569-7046

Just search for 'somethingsphishy' for all the details at the Better Business Bureau link. Click Florida for the state.

http://westflorida.bbb.org/Business-Search/

Hrmm, an address....they are right around the corner from me. Mapquest says they're in a golf club community though, so probably gated. :idea:

-Ryan

jrodriguez
10-08-2009, 08:51 PM
OMG! I was going to send some good money there,but when they told me i cant even pick the fish out or pick the fish up! i said something is phishy. Decided to look on here for any feed back and found this thread. A big thanks for everyone who posted on here!!!!A blessing for the guys who created simplydiscus!!

David Rose
10-10-2009, 10:53 AM
OMG! I was going to send some good money there,but when they told me i cant even pick the fish out or pick the fish up! i said something is phishy. Decided to look on here for any feed back and found this thread. A big thanks for everyone who posted on here!!!!A blessing for the guys who created simlydiscus!!

Since my dealings with SomethingPhishy, I have patronized several of the Sponsors on this site. You may not get to hand pick the fish your want, but you can see tank shots and/or get pictures to know what you'll get. IME, you are much better off buying from them guaranteed!

fightingslander
10-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Any of you who have bought fish from somethingsphishy aka Keith Titus aka Traci Titus, and if you received damaged fish, and then demanded your money back, you NEED to do a google search on your name right away! He has slandered many who have bought from him and asked for their money back due to dead or damaged fish. He gets your name and info from your credit card transaction and then does a quick google search to find out your profession/business. Then he files a phony ripoff report on you or complaint on other sites. You would never suspect it was him because you think it's someone you know... he writes the phony review as if he knows you because he knows enough from googling you to find out a little bit of info. If you had this happen to you, find a good defamation attorney and go after him.

Again, somethingsphishy is run by Keith and Traci Titus. The address given by many of you above is correct. It is not a "facility" in any way, shape or form. He runs it out of his residence! Go to google maps and input the street address and you will see, it's a private home, NOT a facility as he claims.

Jennie
09-16-2010, 02:48 PM
YEP! my little cobalt stunted guy is from there and he's only 3 inches and at about 8 months old. ;( I no longer have the rest of the fish I purchased from them. Only this one which I keep partly as a painful reminder quality does matter and partly because he's my first discus. he's called the panda but well really a cobaltxhttp://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae345/discuslover65/blue%20turk%20x/turk1.jpg

Danimal
10-14-2010, 07:00 PM
i must say i will never order from them either, the two i ordered were nice and healthy and grew just fine BUT they were FULL of peppering and looked nothing like the pictures on the web site ( i gave them away )

dan

sonny
12-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Yeah I get that alot lol. I have never seen anything like these fish in my life. If I would have known all of this was going on by other people I would have never used his service. I can have the charges reversed but that will not teach the guy a lesson and if he is doing this to everyone then he really needs to be put out of business IMO:mad: We have laws against things like this but he seems not to care.

the guy that owns something fishy is an a lawyer,once you buy his garbage,they put you on the do not reply list and cut off all conversation.

jtjsm
01-04-2011, 03:11 AM
I bought six fish from somethiingphishy. All arrived live and in good shape, ate like little pigs from day one. Ordered again about two months ago. Got three fish. They were supposed to be red, yellow and tangerine. Got two very peppered tangerines and a brown. One of the first six is stunted. I don't intend to breed so Im not real worried about quality. My fish are just to look at. All were well packed and arrived when they were expected.

BUYERBEWARE
09-20-2011, 05:47 PM
BUYER BEWARE!!!! Read the reviews on this place first!! There are plenty of them. Google the ripoffreport on line and enter them in you will be amazed at what you find! This is by far the worst on line site to purchase anything from. I purchased fish from here and questioned the owner Keith Titus and he banned me from the site, deleted my account so there was no way to access my tracking or order. He is a KNOWN scam artist!!! BUYER BEWARE!!

pcsb23
09-22-2011, 06:05 AM
Hi all,

I've gone through and removed a number of posts that were not first hand experiences and were only commenting. This is not the purpose of this section.

Please Click here (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?83559-Feedback-...ALL-READ-THIS!!!!!) and read Al's comments on this section before you post here.

Thanks.

Parrish
01-29-2012, 09:50 AM
My own experience was 50/50 and I won't order from them again. I ordered 4 fish; 2 red confetti and 2 fire dragon. I always specify "little or no peppering".
The 2 fire dragon were the f-ugliest, most heavily peppered fish I have ever seen to date. I was embarrassed to have them in my tank.

You would think that a vendor would have been ashamed to sell fish that looked like that. Luckily the other two fish were fine and even reproduced later on.

JL15219
01-31-2012, 04:01 PM
I was thinking placing an order with them. Thank God I fond this post!

My own experience was 50/50 and I won't order from them again. I ordered 4 fish; 2 red confetti and 2 fire dragon. I always specify "little or no peppering".
The 2 fire dragon were the f-ugliest, most heavily peppered fish I have ever seen to date. I was embarrassed to have them in my tank.

You would think that a vendor would have been ashamed to sell fish that looked like that. Luckily the other two fish were fine and even reproduced later on.

Yup Yup I got my first discus from Somethingphishy absolutely horrible.....but learned from my mistakes and bought from the Simply Sponsors Hans and Kenny and the discus were like night and day.......Both have great discus and both are great guys

TURQ64
02-01-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm not even gonna see if I already posted here; that crappy....Bought a dozen from them a while back on purpose, to see what you get..What I got was cold fish!..Shipped USPS, sat in my local PO overnight an extra day besides..drove in to see what was up, there they were..wouldn't have happened fedex...None of the fish died then, but none were much of what was advertised...really peppered pigeons, and some bu## ugly turq's.....guess I was a lucky one back then....

peterrabit
02-02-2012, 01:51 AM
Yes, Somethingsphishy stinks! No question about it. Can someone please suggest a couple business referral services where we can post our unpleasant experiences? Thanks.

Orange Crush
02-02-2012, 03:09 AM
Better Business Bureau http://www.bbb.org/

Celticreds5
02-29-2012, 11:20 PM
I wish I had found all this before ordering my discus from this place. I just got 5 from him and they were shipped on a Tues, sat in the post office overnight, and after worrying myself to death, I was finally able to pick them up at my post office on Thurs morn. I hurried home and opened the box--one Blue Diamond was DOA, the other four were pale, gasping and in sad condition. I didn't think they would make it overnight--but they did. And were eating well by Sat morning. I immediately took a picture of the DOA and sent it to him within an hour of picking them up. Keith (the owner) wrote me back and wanted a picture of the fish with a toothpick through it--he told me to read the email he had sent on getting a refund--sounded a bit put out about it all. This was bothersome to me, but I did it and if it weren't for me feeling badly for the fish, I would have been gruesome and made sure he knew it was dead--but I didn't--just the one toothpick. I got the refund the same day--to give him some credit. I then wrote a review and last time I looked it had not shown up. It was not 5 star--must have been why. It's been a week today and knock on wood, all are eating and seem to be doing well. And I think I got what I asked for--though I am still not sure on the Blue Diamond. I have since found out a place about an hour from me carries Hans Discus at a good price--I may have to get a bigger tank :) I won't be buying from Somethings Phishy every again.

TURQ64
03-01-2012, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't buy from them again either. But that said, in fairness, if the fish make it alive by way of USPS, then it's on the buyer from there on. I ordered fish last year expecting crap. I partly got what I expected, the fish weren't the strains I ordered, but here they are a year or so later..

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/DSC_0110-1.jpg

and a pair

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/Fish/DSC_0610.jpg

Celticreds5
03-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Very nice looking fish!
Yeah if the fish survive, I think they've got a good chance at being very pretty fish. I was not impressed with the shipping though. The bags had very little water in them and the water was very cold by the time I got them---which ended up being almost 48 hrs from time of shipment. He(the owner of SF said they pack the fish to make it 72 hours--there is no way these fish would have made it much longer--they were hours from expiring IMVHO. But that said, only one was DOA--the rest, so far--knock on wood--are alive. Keeping my fingers crossed. Lesson learned though--check out the forum to find out where to buy and where not to buy--experience is always the best teacher.

AmayaxSin
03-07-2012, 03:48 AM
They still are nice looking fish! :]
Especially that orange one. :D

TURQ64
03-07-2012, 03:20 PM
the 'Orange one' was sold as a 'Fire Dragon' strain of PB..two of them, both females.No intent of raising PB's, they can be yours for a mere pittance..

Apistomaster
03-09-2012, 02:24 AM
By no means am I endorsing this company but about 7 years ago I ordered some of their so-called "Fire Dragon" Discus and here is how mine turned out.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/DSC_9824.jpg

Trier20
03-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Just recieved some discus from them. Ordered 6 and got 6 live discus . They werent shipped in plastic jars. They were doubled bagged with damp newspaper and heat packs on top. Those bags were then put into a foam cooler with no room for movement from any of the bags. I have five of them that alive now( one died from stress, i was having problems with my tank heating that week) 4 of them are very nice while the ringed leopard isnt much to look at...they were all 2.5in.. so all in all it was cheaper and i got the fish that i wanted and wasn't spending $100 each at my LFS.

Discus-Hans
03-19-2012, 08:59 PM
If you are happy, we all are happy (for you) One question though......... I've never seen 2.5" Discus for $100 each in a store. If you've some time, show us some pictures of the nice Discus.

Trier20
03-19-2012, 10:52 PM
this is the "good" one. photo is from my phone sorry bout the quality

Trier20
03-19-2012, 10:54 PM
The yellow one behind him is from Discus Hans. Unfortunately he also passed when my tank went haywire :(

peglegderek
03-20-2012, 12:26 AM
i bought from there bout 7 years ago fish came way later than promised one dead one dies shortly after i put in tank! no refund just a discount on next order. F- - - - - - - - - -

Trier20
05-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Just recieved some discus from them. Ordered 6 and got 6 live discus . They werent shipped in plastic jars. They were doubled bagged with damp newspaper and heat packs on top. Those bags were then put into a foam cooler with no room for movement from any of the bags. I have five of them that alive now( one died from stress, i was having problems with my tank heating that week) 4 of them are very nice while the ringed leopard isnt much to look at...they were all 2.5in.. so all in all it was cheaper and i got the fish that i wanted and wasn't spending $100 each at my LFS.

Please let me retract this above statement if i can :) lol i do still have two of them. The leopard and "blue turq", so they say.They are still alive and growing. The other four all died.

jbuck
05-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Wow it sounds like you had some losses. What happened there, was it the water issue?

TURQ64
05-05-2012, 05:52 PM
As it has been mentioned repeatedly on this thread over time,

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?83559-Feedback-...ALL-READ-THIS!!!!!

simpleton
12-23-2012, 03:22 PM
A while back I ordered angel fish from this "outfit" To say the name is appropriate would be a gross understatement. The fish were shipped to me via USPS overnight. I picked them up within 10 minutes of their arrival at PO. I opened the cartoon and was greeted by a bag of dead and almost dead, baby angels. The bag size was fine for the fish I ordered, the amount of water was fine, the temperature was within limits and I assume there was oxygen in the bag. I took pictures of the bag and went to a local pet shop that I deal with (5 minutes away). I opened this mess to show them and I couldn't stop everyone from laughing at me! The owner was there and three fellow Angel breeders from southern Wisconsin, as well.

Upon arriving home shortly thereafter I e-mailed (with pictures) the situation to SFy. I told them that there was no reason in the world for these young fish to arrive dead and dying, (unless of course they were "inferior fish to start) I kept getting a response which was the printed "fine Print" of the "guarantee"
After sending a e-mail asking if they were on vacation? I received a reply that again inclosed the "guarantee sheet and a notation that "NO FURTHER CORRESPONDENCE WILL BE SENT" Evidently, I was supposed to stick a toothpick? through the gills of the corpses!

I had received several shipment of Discus via the same delivery system off Aquabid, weeks earlier, with no problems. A couple of Discus were DOA from Joe Gargas and when I sent the e mail with the photo, he more then accomodated me. As was the history of other fish orders over the last 35 years!!!!

If this outfit is not the perfect example of "BUYER BEWARE", nothing is! I have sat on this for some time because a week after this happened, the owner of the pet shop I stopped at called me and told me he had something for me. When I got there, he had 30 Angels for me from the three breeders that were present when I brought in these ""inferior Angels from the PO. They all "felt sorry" for me!

I happened across somethingphishy this morning and it reopened this "wound" I have all the correspondence and the pictures and will file an official complaint with the Florida BBB. I have dealt with a lot of people from coast to coast. I used to breed Discus and in shipment from multiple breeders, here and overseas, have never come up agaist a "BAD APPLE" I quess there is a first for everthing.

Russ

Trier20
12-23-2012, 03:37 PM
I almost feel like this should be a sticky LOL And sorry to hear you went through the same crap a majority of us did too. Only mine showed up alive and died a few days later.

Second Hand Pat
12-23-2012, 03:46 PM
I almost feel like this should be a sticky LOL And sorry to hear you went through the same crap a majority of us did too. Only mine showed up alive and died a few days later.

Consider that done.

jaleik
01-11-2013, 04:51 AM
First of all, hello everyone! I've lurked this forum before but never registered. I have bought a total of 10 discus from somethingsphishy (I didnt know any better) in 3 different orders over the course of 2009-2011. I received mine in the bag with heat pack, newspaper and foam and not in a jar or anything. Each time there was at least one that died in the first week or was critically ill. It was my first time with discus and I had read about how they are supposed to be hard to keep (I totally disagree about that now) and although I am an experienced aquarist that researched them extensively I thought I just failed them and felt pretty bad about it. After seeing all these poor reviews I must conclude that it was probably because the fish were not healthy when I received them. I did receive a refund on one of them but not the others since they died after "4hours".

Fastforward a few years and I still have 5 discus in my tank. One died a few months ago after I moved to a new house, the tank had been setup for about 3 weeks before he died though and showed no signs beforehand. I have 4 fully grown adults and one that is stunt but started growing again recently, surprisingly. I will post pictures when I get the chance.

After reading some of the reviews on here I consider myself somewhat lucky. I will never order from them again though, one of the biggest complaint I have is that I paid extra to get different colors but I did not receive what ordered. I complained about it and I was told that their patterns would change as they mature, they are now all mature and clearly it was bs!

DiscusLoverJeff
01-11-2013, 09:05 AM
I find it funny that all the bad press this company (using term lightly) is still in business. When you sell bad product you stick around to long but these guys have been around a good while, how?

jaleik
01-11-2013, 08:56 PM
I find it funny that all the bad press this company (using term lightly) is still in business. When you sell bad product you stick around to long but these guys have been around a good while, how?

They have some of the lowest prices so people buy from them without researching much plus im sure their fish mill is very overcrowded and not well maintained which keeps their overhead low. They also do not refund people most of the time since their guarrantee is extremely limited.

I'd say its the sad reality.

Sumo Boy 5
01-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Anyone know if there beefheart flake is good?

TURQ64
01-16-2013, 09:32 AM
I don't know if their still using the same supplier, but I purchased some of their beefheart flakes 2 years ago, and my fish ate it...but...why not try a sponsor here?....I recommend Kensfish.com for almost anything.

Tazalanche
01-16-2013, 12:43 PM
With all of the negative feedback listed in this thread (& other websites) I don't understand why anyone would consider buying anything from somethingsphishy, no matter the price. They are an ulcer on the aquatic community. To continue to buy from them just allows the ulcer to continue to fester.

fishdragon
01-16-2013, 07:11 PM
I just bought 6 jars beefheart flake from them.
it says "16 fl. oz. Jar" on their website, I thought it's "16 oz. Jar",
after I asked them after I weight it only about 60g per Jar,
they give me an expain by using WiKi definiaton of "fl. oz",
well, at least I learn something, that's my fault:alien:
any body can give me a good/cheap source for beefheart flake
I would very appreciate.

Lenin
01-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Kensfish

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2

TURQ64
01-16-2013, 08:13 PM
With all of the negative feedback listed in this thread (& other websites) I don't understand why anyone would consider buying anything from somethingsphishy, no matter the price. They are an ulcer on the aquatic community. To continue to buy from them just allows the ulcer to continue to fester.
I think it's simply a matter of web browsers...the top 5 stinky guys are the first that always pop up...

Apistomaster
01-17-2013, 02:53 AM
I just bought 6 jars beefheart flake from them.
it says "16 fl. oz. Jar" on their website, I thought it's "16 oz. Jar",
after I asked them after I weight it only about 60g per Jar,
they give me an expain by using WiKi definiaton of "fl. oz",
well, at least I learn something, that's my fault:alien:
any body can give me a good/cheap source for beefheart flake
I would very appreciate.

Kensfish buys from the same beef heart flakes supplier as somethingphishy.
You could too if you buy sufficient volume.
bestflakes.com makes all the generic flakes, pellets and sticks foods sold by reputable dealers like Kens and aquaticeco.com.
Kensfish has them at the best price and I believe he sells by weight rather than volume so you actually get what you are paying for.

KeithIndiana
01-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Man I wish I would have read all this 2 weeks ago....

adschef074
02-03-2013, 05:05 PM
DONT ORDER fISH FROM somethingsphishy.com- why you ask? There are several reasons and ill go into them each in detail. I ordered 4 discus from "keith" a stand up character who is one person when hes asking for your money and a completely different person after the deal has been made. Each of my discus that I had ordered had something wrong with it. One larger 2inch golden discus had half his tail sheered away- this did not happen during shipping- this fish was skin and bones and half dead by the time it arrived on my doorstep. I also ordered one blue snakeskin 2 inch and the fish came to me at just about one inch from top to bottom- it was basically just fry. Keith does not sell what he advertises for.. i can see him sending one a bit smaller than 2inches but this wasn't even close with two of the 4 fish I had ordered. The other one inch discus a "red scribbled discus" was a bit larger than the snakeskin and more colored in but the side fins were horribly deformed.. it looks like they are broken but he makes his way still around my tank. The 4th 2inch fish came in looking great.. it was a beautiful red leopard discus that was .. ull never believe - actually 2 inches. However I noticed right when I put him in my tank he had small bubbles sticking to him... 24 hours later a clear as day case of ich all over his body. 48 hours later the fish was dead and I had my first ich outbreak in over 7 years of this hobby. In the end of the outbreak- to which [I] am still giving treatment 4 discus had perished either from ich or from sensitivity to the medicine. I send keith an email right after I received my fish telling him that they had arrived and that I was please that they were all survived and I was indeed very happy with my red leopard. 2 days later I was furious and I just couldnt wrap my head around why keith would send me diseased, deformed, small fish. He's not in it because he loves fish he's in it for the money and theres a reason why his prices are just a bit cheaper than the rest. I sent him a follow up email about everything I had just explained and here is what "keith" the big man himself said in response.

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:30 PM, Somethingsphishy <KT@somethingsphishy.com> wrote:

Andrew-
"Unfortunately, you seem to have multiple personalities. Below is copy of the e-mail you sent directly after you got the order.
No mention of anything about a tail missing or Ich or too small. Please get therapy. There should only be one person inside you.
-We have closed your account."

_ So everyone this is exact word for word to me the "customer". If you have read this i'm sure you wont be ordering from somethingsphisy. But to me thats not enough - tell your friends and make sure they dont order here as well. Keith needs to be put out of business for good. For our sake and for all the fish he has trapped diseased and dyeing.

Psionic
03-30-2013, 02:42 PM
I really don't know where he gets his fish or if he just has them in buckets sitting outside all week long. My sister ordered 8 discus from him that were supposed to be 4". Turns out they were 2" black, clamped, floating sideways in a small container. No big styrofoam box, no kordon bags, no heat packs, nothing. Two showed up dead. There's been no reply to any of her emails either. The other fish died about a week later. She never even took them out of her quarantine tank. I'm surprised she didn't throw her tank away. They were in a 40 gallon long and never ate the entire time they were in there. Several of them never even straightened up and just stayed laying flat. Still no replies to her emails. They were small, stunted, diseased, already dying fish. Maybe he takes other people's culls. She ended up buying angel fish in Austin from a friend of hers who works at a fish store. She doesn't even want to try to have discus anymore. Good job, Keith on ruining someone's view on the fish. I wish she would have told me beforehand that she was going to order them from him.

DiscusPamela
06-15-2013, 09:01 AM
I ordered 6 assorted discus from somethingsphishy around February of this year. All arrived alive and packaged well. Of the 6, I have 5 left. One wasted away a couple of months ago, perhaps due to being on the bottom of the pecking order, or perhaps due to internal parasites. I ordered 2.5" fish, and that's about what I got save one who was smaller. A yellow one (I've no idea what strain except he's PB heavily peppered) is my runt and has barely grown at all. I have one red PB that is my pig and is about 5" now that I'm rather pleased with. I have some strain of red golden? and a blue ghost? that have grown to about 4" each and have spawned. The last one looked just like the big red PB when they arrived has not colored up like the big one and looks more like a football than a discus. In all fairness, none arrived sick, but I feel I got what I paid for. 10 dollar fish plus shipping.

Also in fairness, I've raised the juvies in a planted aquarium with gravel substrate with maybe once a week WC's so I did not set them up for the best growth conditions and am probably lucky I have not lost more. I fed them frozen BW's, BH, freeze dried BW, freeze dried brine shrimp, freeze dried tubifex worms, tetrabits and flakes. The large red PB has dominated the 55 gal tank, and I at least partially attribute him being the biggest to that fact.

Honestly, I would be happy to rehome these fish and start over with some quality discus and raise the juvies the right way in a BB tank with lots of WC's and my homemade discus food, but I don't want to pass on my problems to someone else so I guess I'm stuck with them. Having raised a 800 L tank full of healthy Stendker discus several years ago in a BB tank with adequate WC's and lots of BH mix, I can definitely see the difference in the fish.

Recently, I have moved all these discus to a BB and upped their feeding to several times a day with my homemade mix and WC's of 50% at least once daily, but I believe at this point, they will never grow to their potential, whatever that might have been.

LilacBlooms
07-04-2013, 04:23 AM
I have purchased a total of eleven discus from two separate shipments. These eleven discus included a variety of colorations that I specifically paid a larger amount to get and am very disappointed. The royal purple discus that I have had approximately six months looks nothing like the royal purple that was advertised, rather it looks identical to the brilliant blue mosaic. In addition, approximately two months ago I purchased the red leopard that looks far from any variation of a red leopard. Coincidentally I just happened to look at the discus fish for sale listing and a new "ruby red confetti" was added which is absolutely indistinguishable from what I have and nothing like a red leopard. Lastly, several of the discus I received had fins that displayed signs of bacterial and/or fungal infection. Fortunately with careful attention and exceptional water parameters I was able to eliminate whatever they arrived with. I also noticed significant growth variations in the discus. The one that was the smallest of four is now twice as big as the one that was largest prior. Positive note is the fish were packaged well (individual insulated bags, inside a Styrofoam bait/fish box with a chemical hot pack on the underside of the lid, and all of that was placed inside a box clearly labeled "Live Fish." I would not recommend purchasing from Somethingsphishy.com unless you are willing to take a big risk, and potentially be treating disease or have fish that will never look as advertised.

Mike Gaines
08-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Ordered 5 Discus and recieved them this past Tuesday. 2 red and white, 2 blues and one red stone dragon. Had new 75 gal tank with sand substrate so did not QT. Floated for 45 min. Then in the tank they went. One of the Blues stayed in the upper back cormers for about 12 hours. Acted as if couldn't get O2. Contacted Keith about problem sent picture he said the fish looked fine to him fins weren't clamped and color was good. Said just stressed. Got up 2:30 in the morning worried over the fish. Still in corner. Got up 5:30 that morning fish down swimming with rest.The Discus started eating within 24 hours. Seem to be happy and swimming around tank. We'll see what happens in the weeks to come. The problem I have so far is communication with service. Asked a the question about fish behavior and what he fed them. They weren't interested in beefheart flakes I bought from him. Now I am locked out of website. After reading the feedback on this site feel i'm lucky so far and obviously won't be buying from him again. Would like to know better places to buy Discus.

Kal-El
08-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Ordered 5 Discus and recieved them this past Tuesday. 2 red and white, 2 blues and one red stone dragon. Had new 75 gal tank with sand substrate so did not QT. Floated for 45 min. Then in the tank they went. One of the Blues stayed in the upper back cormers for about 12 hours. Acted as if couldn't get O2. Contacted Keith about problem sent picture he said the fish looked fine to him fins weren't clamped and color was good. Said just stressed. Got up 2:30 in the morning worried over the fish. Still in corner. Got up 5:30 that morning fish down swimming with rest.The Discus started eating within 24 hours. Seem to be happy and swimming around tank. We'll see what happens in the weeks to come. The problem I have so far is communication with service. Asked a the question about fish behavior and what he fed them. They weren't interested in beefheart flakes I bought from him. Now I am locked out of website. After reading the feedback on this site feel i'm lucky so far and obviously won't be buying from him again. Would like to know better places to buy Discus.

Look no further than our sponsor section. They all ship amazing top of the line fish. My avatar is a Piwow RT from Chicago Discus. Hans discus and Kenny Discus to name a few are the best in the business. Go see their section and pics.

Elliots
08-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Mike, everything Kalelhawj says is true. You do not say where you live. I bought from Hans and drove 178 miles each way. If you have a SD sponsor near you try them!

camuth8
08-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Mike, everything Kalelhawj says is true. If you have a SD sponsor near you try them!

+1

arielfe
08-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Hello to all the community:

I just want to say Thanks to everyone who has posted, sharing their experience with somethingsphishy.com. I have a new 72 gallon aquarium, that will be my returning back to the aquarium hobby, during my life I always want to have Discus but I never had the aquarium with the size plus the time and money to have a decent place for this lovely Fish...... Well seems now is the right time, so all your information help me to STAY AWAY FROM SOMETHINGSPHISHY:p

Thank you all :o

Second Hand Pat
08-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Guys, I am deleting the posts regarding Matt since those posts were made in error.

Larry Bugg
08-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks Pat. Matt's a good guy and just made the mistake of picking a name that is too similar to the bad one.

jmf3460
08-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Thanks Pat. Matt's a good guy and just made the mistake of picking a name that is too similar to the bad one.

Yes please do delete those posts, I apologize to everyone for confusing the two. Rookie mistake. I would hate for his rep to be tarnished over my ignorance.

Second Hand Pat
08-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks Larry and Jack, taken care of :)

Leonhard
09-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Has anyone had any experience buying Discus from this seller?

nc0gnet0
09-14-2013, 02:38 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?41161-somethingsphishy-feedback

DLock3d
09-14-2013, 03:07 PM
There's only been like 100 threads on them.

Madaboutdiscus
09-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Ive heard not good things. Friend of mine bought some. They came with a disease and wiped out all her discus.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Leonhard
09-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have looked at a lot of threads on them. I just didn't want to state anything negative about them until I got some information from fellow aquarium keepers.

I am 65 years old and have kept aquariums for over 50 years and have never experienced anything like this. I have made many friends over the years in the hobby and have successfully kept everything from simple freshwater aquariums to full blown reef aquariums but I have never ran into any business like this one. My current aquarium is 220 gallons, live plants (mostly Anubias) and my first attempt a Discus aquarium.

My experience was much like those who replied to my question. I purchased a couple of larger discus from them a few weeks ago and experience a delivery of two discus smaller than ordered and in poor condition. When I contacted them they wanted me to remove the already sickly fish from quarantine and lay them a ruler and photo them, seeing as how the fish where already emaciated and sickly I didn't want to further stress them. I contacted them back and received no reply.

Later I tried to log back on to the account I had to create to purchase my Discus only they find they had banned me as a customer.

I like the others before me would definitely encourage anyone to stay away from this seller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second Hand Pat
09-14-2013, 05:29 PM
WOW, I have never heard of banning a customer. You might consider checking out the sponsors here. You will not be disappointed.

Leonhard
09-14-2013, 08:58 PM
You are right the name should have given it away. After my 1st purchase and experience I should have known but I always try to have faith in people.

I new better but I decided I would give them another shot and ordered $198.42 of Discus from them, I paid them directly through PayPal. That's when I found out they had banned me. Not long after making the payment I received a refund from PayPal for my payment and at the bottom it stated "Banned Customer". Unbelievable, even after my first experience I gave them a 4 out of 5 star rating.

I have gone back and looked, my review was never posted. But if you want to check out their reviews they are about 99.9% 5 star, I could only find two 4 star reviews. No body is that perfect.

Buyer beware if you do business with these people.

Discus-Hans
09-17-2013, 02:07 AM
I have gone back and looked, my review was never posted. But if you want to check out their reviews they are about 99.9% 5 star, I could only find two 4 star reviews. No body is that perfect.

Leonhard,

sorry for the bad experience you had and if you can see in posts over here on the forum, it seems they delete the bad reviews.

Now there are companies who sell Discus, that are close to perfect, do things go wrong? o yeah sure, but as a seller you need to try to solve those problems in the best way (where possible)

If you look here: http://discusfishstore.com/catalog/reviews.php you can see perfect is possible and I can guarantee you there is not messed with those reviews (heck don't even know how to do that lol)

Hans

Ryan
09-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Leonhard, slightly off topic, but I grew up in Seville and went to school in Pierson! It's amazing to see someone from such a small town here. If you ever want to do a combined order with a sponsor, I may be interested in splitting shipping.

Leonhard
09-18-2013, 09:53 PM
That is unusual for two people from the same small rural area to be on the same forum. I too grew up and went to school in Pierson. I am a fourth generation Pierson family. My great grandfather was Nels Pierson who was one of the two brothers for who the town was named after.

wild4discus
09-19-2013, 03:21 PM
I bought five discus from this place earlier this year to try to save a few bucks and hoped for at least decent fish. It was a really bad experience and found out the hard way that it's worth spending some extra money on good quality discus. Don't buy anything from Somethingsphishy; horrible customer service, bad quality discus, pricey shipping, I can go on and on. Oh and all of the pics of the discus he sells are not of discus his place sells, hey are all internet pics that multiple sites use.

collister
09-29-2013, 10:02 PM
I am planning on getting about six Discus. There are no places around where I live that sell Discus, so I started searching the web and I found Somthings Phishy. Is this an okay source to by ealthy Discus? From the reviews people send in it sounds alright.

Yong73186
09-30-2013, 02:23 AM
Guys watch out for somethingsphisy. Just got ripped off They can change your order and send you totally different stuff
They freaking close my account. Funny as hell! They act like they choose the customer!lol

Yong73186
09-30-2013, 02:29 AM
And he can close the account you created at anytime so you won't have time to warn other people on his site! I just saved 7 little discus from him! Proud of myself. :angel:

Yong73186
09-30-2013, 02:32 AM
I am planning on getting about six Discus. There are no places around where I live that sell Discus, so I started searching the web and I found Somthings Phishy. Is this an okay source to by ealthy Discus? From the reviews people send in it sounds alright.
Don't. They send me wrong fish and I complain. Next day account was closed. Very bad ppl!!!

Yashua
10-01-2013, 11:02 PM
I have read this thread and I'm shocked to find negative reviews... I'm happy that I found out because I was going to order again. I ordered 4 discus to add to my tank and all 4 are living and growing nicely save 1 which was a runt (agree with quality issues). Just thought I share 1 good story

wild4discus
10-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Wow I could not believe all the bad reviews the site got!!!!! Amazing there is not one bad review on his actual website.

Keith Titus, the owner of Somethingsphishy, deletes all negative reviews and then blocks you from his site. Sorry, but no one gets %100 positive reviews.

Discus-Hans
10-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Keith Titus, the owner of Somethingsphishy, deletes all negative reviews and then blocks you from his site. Sorry, but no one gets %100 positive reviews.

Sorry have to disagree with you on that, I've a 100% positive positive on my store www.discusfishstore.com and believe me I don't even know HOW to delete a negative one lol.
I can give you a very trustworthy witness who can confirm this lol my webmaster

Hans

n2kboyi
03-05-2014, 01:36 AM
DO NOT BUY DISCUS FROM SOMETHINGSPHISHY!!! This place sells discus that are sick infected with the discus black diseases or discus plague disease!!! My entire discus collection is all gone because of this place selling sick ill discus!!!
His feedbacks are positive because he deletes the negative ones!!

Do not ever buy any fish from him unless u want to lose all your fish and have to disinfect everything and clean up everything like some virus outbreak to your fish aquarium collection!!!

*** Please only state what you have first hand knowledge of. What he pays for fish is not likely in that category. Also keep it professional -- Len

XAnhLe
09-01-2014, 03:15 AM
Leonhard,

sorry for the bad experience you had and if you can see in posts over here on the forum, it seems they delete the bad reviews.

Now there are companies who sell Discus, that are close to perfect, do things go wrong? o yeah sure, but as a seller you need to try to solve those problems in the best way (where possible)

If you look here: http://discusfishstore.com/catalog/reviews.php you can see perfect is possible and I can guarantee you there is not messed with those reviews (heck don't even know how to do that lol)

Hans

Hans,

you need to sue the guy from somethingphishy. He uses the exact format of your website, even the review page! All of my years shopping online/in-store, I have never seen anything like it.

By the way, I should thank you for bringing me into this hobby. I watched an interview that KGTropicals did with you and it made me feel so much more comfortable with discus and decided to give them a try. I've always admired you and hope to meet you one day before you get too old lol

XAnhLe
09-01-2014, 03:24 AM
I purchased 3 discus from somethingphishy, and for the first time in my life I bought something without googling them first. I was very nervous when I read some reviews here, probably 6 pages of it. The more I read, the more I was scared.

The discus arrived in poor condition, assuming from traveling. I slowly acclimated them into my QT tank. Two of them were healthy and swam around the tank within an hour. The third one was having swimming bladder problem and is a bit stunted. I did not jump the gun and dump medications on him with an exception of a 20 minutes Epson salt dip, and that was the best decision that I've ever made. I did water change regularly and use a bit of aquarium salt to help recover. The fish is now swimming normally and is eating like a pig.

I think my experience is much better than many others and I feel very lucky that I dodged a bullet.

DISCUS STU
02-19-2015, 11:31 AM
As you can see almost everyone that has had experience with this seller has had an overwhelmingly bad one. I purchased five and found the following.

1. Sickly runted fish, four of the five died even after being treated for bacterial infection. The one survivor, a Red Turq, is stunted.
2. Fish that seemed to be juiced (hormones), methyl testosterone to induce premature coloration. Dangerous to the fish and unethical.
3. The fish delivered had very little or nothing to do with what was advertised on the site. These appear to be C grade fish, the seconds and leftovers, that are juiced to be more viable. They are essentially junk Discus.
4. I tried to challenge the credit card payment but was unsuccessful.
5. Delivered to my home address but picked up from the post office, in the winter, this was after I gave them my work address.

NO, I would never purchase from this seller again and would advise all others to stear clear.

DISCUS STU
02-19-2015, 12:42 PM
You are right the name should have given it away. After my 1st purchase and experience I should have known but I always try to have faith in people.

I new better but I decided I would give them another shot and ordered $198.42 of Discus from them, I paid them directly through PayPal. That's when I found out they had banned me. Not long after making the payment I received a refund from PayPal for my payment and at the bottom it stated "Banned Customer". Unbelievable, even after my first experience I gave them a 4 out of 5 star rating.

They are obviously writing their own reviews and crowding out the bad ones which would be the 99.9% of the real reviews.

Why you would go back to purchase again after your original bad experience, similar to my terrible experience, is beyond me and makes no sense.

Woodduck
03-07-2015, 08:58 PM
I noticed ALOT of old posts about the "jars" and "stunted" fish and "dead" or "dying" Discus. Maybe that was true then, but I've had nothing but great luck with his fish. Nice, round, good finnage and colors appropriate for age. Ever eat at a resturant and were not pleased with the food, service or atmosphere? Did you ever go back. Because things change, different chef, different waiter and a different general feel to the place. Same thing has apparently happened to SomethingsPhishy. Great packaging, working heat packs, double bagged with opaque high mil liners to keep the Discus calm and prevent from sticking a dorsal spine through the bag.
Give it another shot
Woodduck85270

boonseong
03-13-2015, 03:04 PM
Whatever it is, I would stay away from buying from somethingphishy. When I was back in malaysia, I spoke to one of the former breeders. Basically, the wholesalers would come in and just buy everything in bulk for cheap. They don't care if the fish were sick/deformed etc as long as there was color on the fish. This guy is obviously one of the receivers of such shipment.

Pardal
05-12-2015, 12:08 PM
I guess . I was lucky before I found Simply I guessing before 2009 . I bought from them and even has an spawn from a female within days no wrigglers though, to me they were the best thing until I found simply sponsors and they weren't using the so call jars at that time.

Woodduck
06-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Att: To those who doubt
A lot of people do some nasty bashing on this forum. I bet some of you have never even tried SomethingsPhishy.
Well I have, and with great luck. Maybe some of you don't no how to treat a fish that's been shipped a couple of times before
it hit's your front porch. It's not easy but you can learn to see all your fish grow up nicely.
You should think about giving people respect until you know they dont' deserve it.
I have over 40 of his Discus, and with every other day water changes and great diet, I'm proud to say there's not a clamped fin
in the house.
Don't get me wrong, I'm on a limited budget and can't
afford, nor do I want to, buy fully adult fish. To me, that's like buying a classic car that's already restored. Not my style.
Attached is a pic of a 6.5" Fire Dragon I grew out from 2".
I hope this thread is taken with an open mind and without malice. It's not meant to offend. The best of luck to all on Simply Discus, enjoy your fish!
Never say never.
Woodduck88039

lpacheco
08-07-2015, 11:20 AM
Worst experience ever
A very bad customer service.
I ordered six discus fish, but one arrived very sick and died on day later, 5 others get sick and looks like they are going to die.
When I made the claim they indicated that they only cover DOA. No matter if a sick fish was shipped and subsequently die.
When I replied to them that I’ll write a review on the page, they canceled my account, also deleting my order so I cannot make further claims. Very clever.
I do not recommend for anyone to make a purchase from this site. You will be wasting your money on fish that will end up dying in a few days.

Rustyfins
12-08-2015, 11:00 PM
So I bought this and one other Discus fish. It came late the following day, at about 6:00 PM. In December, so it was fairly cold out. The UPS guy brought me the package, and I opened it before signing, to make sure they were there and well. I opened them up, and they were both dead. The bag the fish were in was freezing, so I'm assuming the water was as well.
I asked the UPS delivery guy what he thinks I should do at this point since I didn't order dead fish. They suggested refusing the shipment, so I agreed.
I then emailed customer service, asking for assistance. I was told since I refused the delivery I couldn't get a refund or anything. I was told it says in the guarantee that I need to sign for it. I re-read the guarantee and it didn't say I had to accept them. I had to open immediately and try to acclimate them. But, if they are dead, acclimating them wouldn't work.
As I wasn't sure what to do for a few minutes with the delivery guy, I didn't notice the gills move at all.
Pretty disappointed. I have ordered from SomtheingsPhishy before, an this is definitely the worst.

Rustyfins
12-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Had a terrible experience with these guys. Signed up for next day shipping, and got them the next day in the evening. Fish had been in the cold truck all day. The water was frozen and the warming pack seemed damaged. I checked, and the fish weren't moving or even slightly breathing. I refused them. Now they refuse to give me a refund because I didn't accept the package.

ericNH
12-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Had a terrible experience with these guys. Signed up for next day shipping, and got them the next day in the evening. Fish had been in the cold truck all day. The water was frozen and the warming pack seemed damaged. I checked, and the fish weren't moving or even slightly breathing. I refused them. Now they refuse to give me a refund because I didn't accept the package.

I have to say I'm really bummed out for you. What a really lousy company they must be. I'll never order from them based on your feedback alone.

Rustyfins
12-09-2015, 04:46 PM
I have to say I'm really bummed out for you. What a really lousy company they must be. I'll never order from them based on your feedback alone.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I just can't believe their customer service.

camthi609
07-01-2016, 03:43 AM
Omg, I dealt w/the same problem everyone has on here w/them back then. I purchased a few fish that arrived in bad shape, some oblong instead of round and some did not even look like it's gene but worst, one of these fish was actually deformed and had his tail bone protruding his body that you must of been blind not to see.... Well to make a long story short, when he was contacted, he never asked to see the picture of the fish nor did he offer any kind of reimbursement or credit and the fish ended up dead a couple days later so I had nothing to go on with but let it go. But I know I would Never, Ever want to do business w/them again! Hence the name "Somethingsphishy".
Also, RFTtropicalfish is also up there on the same list! Beware and save yourselves people, Do Not Buy!!!!! :eek:

Bc chick
07-01-2016, 09:45 AM

Im just starting this read so maybe my question will be answered but what place are we talking about?

Bc chick
07-01-2016, 09:49 AM
Ok never mind lol read the title properly ☺

monilovesdiscus
07-02-2016, 02:06 PM
I bought three fish from him last year. They were smaller ones. Unfortunately, I couldn't get them to last more than 3 months. They all died on me. The smallest that I bought didn't last long [pair of weeks]. I didn't have any luck with his fish. I wouldn't recommend his Discus as they just don't seem to have a lot of staying power. I'm local and close to him so I'd hoped that would be less stressful on the fish, but they just weren't durable.

robbwood64
09-20-2016, 03:09 PM
Thanks for my brother, I would have saved a potential headache. I'm new to the discus world. I decided to try my hands on discus after seeing my friend's aquarium. I saw their cheap price at their website and great reviews. I was about to order until my brother recommend to check this forum about them. I'm glad I joined this forum learned more about raising discus just going through this forum (and places NOT to buy good discus). I was easily fooled by great reviews on their site. I know better.

This is a great forum for beginners like myself.

Quintin
09-20-2016, 03:43 PM
Thats bad.