PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a water pump.

troyclark
01-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Hello, I am looking for a new or used water pump to take the RO treated water from my 55 gallon barrell and refill 29 gallon breeder tanks. The total head height will be 6'4" and the hose that attaches to this will be app. 12' long. I have a pump now (quiet one 1200) that does the job but does it really slow. I am looking to speed up my water changes. I was hoping for one that does at least 500 gallons per hour at 6' head height and is fully submersible. Thanks for looking.

Troy Clark

discusboy777
01-21-2005, 12:33 AM
look for pond pumps at garden centers i got mine at wal mart.

lauris
01-21-2005, 02:16 AM
i have just posted a thread regarding water pumps. perhaps you could look at it and let me know how the quiet one pump might address my concerns, particularly its ability to pass through semi-solids.

for what you are trying to do, i would use a sump pump from a home center. they are quiet, pump vast volumes of water, and are reasonable in price. for less than $80 you should be able to get one that will pump 2200 or so gallons per hour. i have a pedestal sump pump made by simer that i am now using to move 250 gallons of stored water around to diffent tank racks. i believe it is rated for 1900 gallons per hour. you can plumb from them with pvc of 1 1/4 or even 1 1/2 and with a couple of ball valves and some elbows, you could move a lot of water. there are 3000 gallon per hour sump pumps that i have seen used in fish rooms to move a lot of water, they run $125-50 or so at a home center.

i would definitely recommend pvc rather than the big hoses you see for some sump pumps. i had one of those and it worked okay, but it will thrash around when you are sending a lot water through it and mine had pinhole leaks within a year.

lauris
01-21-2005, 02:23 AM
i guess in rereading your post i think i may have advised overkill. hope no one paid any attention to anything i said. moving water from a 55 gallon drum to a 29 gallon tank, or several of them would probably call for less than what a sump pump does. i misread your post. the pumps i'm talking about would empty that 55 gallon drum in just a couple minutes. even at 500 gallons an hour you would be emptying the drum in the neighborhood of six minutes. what is your pump now rated? i have had good luck with the via aqua pumps from dr foster and smith. they sell one that empties a 110 gallon tank in less than ten minutes. i think it is the model 4600, and it costs about $35.