PDA

View Full Version : Eheim Wet/Dry 2227

PaintballFan07
01-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Hi, I just hooked up my wet/dry yesterday but i dont think its doing its job. One problem is the pressure side constantly pupms out bubbles along with the filtered water. Another problem is I am not getting the wet/dry effect. The outer chamber is not emptying and refilling, the floater just stays floating and never drops. the height from the top of my water to the filter is 3"11 n according to the manual this is the correct height. How can i fix these problems and how do i re-prime my filter. thanks in advance

jaydoc
01-20-2005, 11:03 PM
1) It is important that all 3 hoses are the same length.
2) Make sure you have the correct reducer for the height you are using ( the little clear or black plastic "donut" that is inserted into the bottom side of the head unit.)
3. I prime mine by filling the cannister completely full and then seal the head unit closed with the corner latches. Latch the hose assembly in place but make sure the valve switches are both closed. Fill both large hoses full using a funnel and then reconnect them to the rigid plastic J-tubes. Turn the unit on, open the fill valve first, then open the outlet valve. It should now be primed. Also important to make sure the opening of the small air tube does not contact the surface of the water or it will suck water instead of air.

Additionally, make sure you use a pre-filter sponge or you will have mulm build up in the cannister.

These are much better filters than traditional cannisters because they operate like a wet/dry filter, not an inclosed cannister. But, you still will need to be very careful about keeping it clean if used with discus. I take mine apart about once a month and rinse the filter media with aged, treated, heated water. then wash out the cannister well and reassemble.

Cary

PaintballFan07
01-20-2005, 11:09 PM
1) It is important that all 3 hoses are the same length.
2) Make sure you have the correct reducer for the height you are using ( the little clear or black plastic "donut" that is inserted into the bottom side of the head unit.)
3. I prime mine by filling the cannister completely full and then seal the head unit closed with the corner latches. Latch the hose assembly in place but make sure the valve switches are both closed. Fill both large hoses full using a funnel and then reconnect them to the rigid plastic J-tubes. Turn the unit on, open the fill valve first, then open the outlet valve. It should now be primed. Also important to make sure the opening of the small air tube does not contact the surface of the water or it will suck water instead of air.

Additionally, make sure you use a pre-filter sponge or you will have mulm build up in the cannister.

These are much better filters than traditional cannisters because they operate like a wet/dry filter, not an inclosed cannister. But, you still will need to be very careful about keeping it clean if used with discus. I take mine apart about once a month and rinse the filter media with aged, treated, heated water. then wash out the cannister well and reassemble.

Cary
I had a desaster today when i tried opening the canister after i unplugged it. I opened the latches and all of a sudden it started spitting out water everywhere. But i will make sure the hoses are the same length and i am using the prefilter. I did buy the prefilter that eheim sells for $13 but after i saw how it looked in the tank i decided to use the one that came with the filter. Is the continuos flow of bubbles that comes out along with the filtered water on the pressure side normal? The bubbles (small and large) comes from the canister itself n goes all the way through the tubbing and into the tank, so i dont think my connections are loose. I just converted the height of my tank into inches and i am using the wrong reducer. How do i get the filter to completely empty so i dont have the same desaster again because this filter is in my room and my room is carpeted so my parents wont be happy if my room becomes a swimming pool. thanks for the help

jaydoc
01-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Once you get it primed and running correctly, the majority of the bubbles will clear. As long as the float is cycling up and down every minute or two and there is a good stream of water flowing out of the tube during the discharge phase, it is ok. During the fill phase, the discharge will slow to a trickle but not stop entirely.

If you need to open the cannister, unplug it, shut off both valves, then disconnect the hose assembly. Carry the entire cannister to the sink, then open it. When you reattach it, repeat the above procedure. Except you shouldn't have to re-prime the hoses. If you shut the valves off, the hoses should still be full of water. Good luck!

PaintballFan07
01-21-2005, 01:34 AM
Once you get it primed and running correctly, the majority of the bubbles will clear. As long as the float is cycling up and down every minute or two and there is a good stream of water flowing out of the tube during the discharge phase, it is ok. During the fill phase, the discharge will slow to a trickle but not stop entirely.

If you need to open the cannister, unplug it, shut off both valves, then disconnect the hose assembly. Carry the entire cannister to the sink, then open it. When you reattach it, repeat the above procedure. Except you shouldn't have to re-prime the hoses. If you shut the valves off, the hoses should still be full of water. Good luck! I forgot to mention that i left out the installatio kits 1 & 2. So do i just shut off the valves on the filter itself and then pull the whole hose attachment thats on the filter itself off. preciate it

Huy Nguyen
01-21-2005, 01:53 AM
Hey guys. There is an ezier way to re-prime. After connecting all hoses to cannister. Take the little hose and suck on it. The water should start to fill the cannister. A better way to completely empty the cannister is to shut off the inlet hose and let water to be completely pumped out the cannister. Then shut off the outlet hose and disconnect all hoses from the cannister. This way you don't have to carry the cannister filled w/ water. It could be heavy and might hurt your back in one day. The hardest part is to get it to work properly. I always have a hard time w/ it. I usually play around w/ the outlet and inlet hose. Try this after u suck on the little hose and let the water fill completely til it no longer fill. Plug in power. Sometimes if you get lucky it will work in one try. If not then you have to play w/ the inlet and outlet hoses. Try to close one hose and open one and vice versa.

HTH,
Huy

jaydoc
01-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Paintball,
Yes, shut the valves off then pull out the entire hose attachment from the top of the cannister.

Huy,
Respectfully, I disagree. I have found that my technique results in the filter working the first time, every time. And, you only have to fill the hoses once. If you always shut the valves off and disconnect the hoses before doing maintainance, you never have to reprime. Just top off the cannister with water from a pitcher, cloe it up, start it up, then open the valves. Presto!

Huy Nguyen
01-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Jay, I agree w/ u. But sometime the hose need to be cleaned up or replace. Stuffs could be built up over time inside the hoses. I was just showing the easier way to re-prime. And a better way to empty the cannister w/o carry the entire cannister w/ water. It could be heavy and could hurt your back in one day.

Respectfully,
Huy

PaintballFan07
01-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Jay, I agree w/ u. But sometime the hose need to be cleaned up or replace. Stuffs could be built up over time inside the hoses. I was just showing the easier way to re-prime. And a better way to empty the cannister w/o carry the entire cannister w/ water. It could be heavy and could hurt your back in one day.

Respectfully,
Huy
Huy, I tried shuting off the inlet valve and letting the pump pump out all of the water but that didnt work. thanks for the help though

PaintballFan07
01-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Paintball,
Yes, shut the valves off then pull out the entire hose attachment from the top of the cannister.

Huy,
Respectfully, I disagree. I have found that my technique results in the filter working the first time, every time. And, you only have to fill the hoses once. If you always shut the valves off and disconnect the hoses before doing maintainance, you never have to reprime. Just top off the cannister with water from a pitcher, cloe it up, start it up, then open the valves. Presto! Thanks for the help Jay, im workin on it right now to see if this will work which it should.

PaintballFan07
01-21-2005, 05:07 PM
I still have the same problems. Plenty of bubbles and still the floater is still floating all the time.

lesley
01-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Don't know if my comments will help or not. I have a wet/dry eheim (2229) which I think operates the same way (eventually), just has another basket.

I regret buying one of these, I replaced my aquaclears for appearance problems only and when it eventually dies because something has blocked and the motor has run dry all day while we're not around it won't be replaced. It is a shame that such a good idea should be so poorly designed, especially when so much is paid for it. Once it is working it does a fantastic job. Sometimes price does not equal quality!!!! OK, enough of my whinging. Hope my comments will help.

I find the same as Huy Nguyen, since mine needs so much maintenance, I am cleaning something at least once each week. Since it was set up in the cupboard underneath the tank it is difficult to get at and I certainly couldn't lift the cannister full of water in and out all the time. I have to clean the hoses once a week and you must keep whatever you have on your intake as a mechanical filter scrupulously clean, once each day for me. I have a heavily planted tank so this may be why the hoses need constant cleaning for the filter to operate efficiently. I also use a thin layer of filter wool in the top basket, although the manual says not to. Initially I didn't do this, followed the instructions but found it made no difference to wether the filter worked or not. Probably you need to get your wet/dry working first before you add anything though.

I close off both the hoses down at the ends that plug into the head, once the filter is emptied or nearly emptied and light enough to lift. If you don't interfere with the hoses and you don't lose the syphon, then you can just reconnect and off it should go. If the hoses are emptied of water, then to establish a syphon, and with the hoses still closed off, I fill the intake hose to the top of the hose, then push in the hangover plastic pipe to the filled hose. I find that the tank needs to be full for this to work well. Then I open the intake hose "valve" and you should hear a rush of water and the filter fills. I find you get a better rush of water if the canister is empty. (If you find the canister is not filling, you could always attach the hose that you use for your water change to the intake pipe and force water through into the filter). Once the canister is full I then open the outlet hose and let the filter sit for some minutes. I turn the filter on and it then empties, if the motor is sounding rough, then it is not working properly and you need to repeat. The filter I bought did not come with any "restrictors" so I have mine running without anything restricting the intake. I have a 6x2x2 tank and the filter is set up at the lowest level that the manual says to work at. I do have the hoses the same length - make sure that the middle "air" hose is not in the water.

I spent many long hours besting this filter, you may need to make sure that all the attachments and o rings have vaseline on them, all that stuff must seal to work. Sometimes it won't restart easily and I have to do the shut off of hoses down at filter head and wait for the water to really settle in before starting off. I find if the wet/dry is not working then the filter hasn't filled properly and maybe there is an air bubble or something.

Certainly Jaydoc's method sounds easier, although the times I tried filling the canister first I couldn't get a prime without forcing water through with a hose.

Hope you get your filter working.

jaydoc
01-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Sorry gang,
I have Three of these buggers and never had any where near as much trouble as you describe. I do think that the little restrictor piece is an important part of the issue. I wash my prefilter every day or every other day and find that in my bare bottom discus setup, the cannister stays very clean. Most of us with discus wash our prefilters on whatever type of filter we have daily so that is no additional work. I agree these filters are expensive and on my newer grow-out tanks I have chosen to use just aquaclears but have not abandoned my wet/dry.

PaintballFan07
01-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Don't know if my comments will help or not. I have a wet/dry eheim (2229) which I think operates the same way (eventually), just has another basket.

I regret buying one of these, I replaced my aquaclears for appearance problems only and when it eventually dies because something has blocked and the motor has run dry all day while we're not around it won't be replaced. It is a shame that such a good idea should be so poorly designed, especially when so much is paid for it. Once it is working it does a fantastic job. Sometimes price does not equal quality!!!! OK, enough of my whinging. Hope my comments will help.

I find the same as Huy Nguyen, since mine needs so much maintenance, I am cleaning something at least once each week. Since it was set up in the cupboard underneath the tank it is difficult to get at and I certainly couldn't lift the cannister full of water in and out all the time. I have to clean the hoses once a week and you must keep whatever you have on your intake as a mechanical filter scrupulously clean, once each day for me. I have a heavily planted tank so this may be why the hoses need constant cleaning for the filter to operate efficiently. I also use a thin layer of filter wool in the top basket, although the manual says not to. Initially I didn't do this, followed the instructions but found it made no difference to wether the filter worked or not. Probably you need to get your wet/dry working first before you add anything though.

I close off both the hoses down at the ends that plug into the head, once the filter is emptied or nearly emptied and light enough to lift. If you don't interfere with the hoses and you don't lose the syphon, then you can just reconnect and off it should go. If the hoses are emptied of water, then to establish a syphon, and with the hoses still closed off, I fill the intake hose to the top of the hose, then push in the hangover plastic pipe to the filled hose. I find that the tank needs to be full for this to work well. Then I open the intake hose "valve" and you should hear a rush of water and the filter fills. I find you get a better rush of water if the canister is empty. (If you find the canister is not filling, you could always attach the hose that you use for your water change to the intake pipe and force water through into the filter). Once the canister is full I then open the outlet hose and let the filter sit for some minutes. I turn the filter on and it then empties, if the motor is sounding rough, then it is not working properly and you need to repeat. The filter I bought did not come with any "restrictors" so I have mine running without anything restricting the intake. I have a 6x2x2 tank and the filter is set up at the lowest level that the manual says to work at. I do have the hoses the same length - make sure that the middle "air" hose is not in the water.

I spent many long hours besting this filter, you may need to make sure that all the attachments and o rings have vaseline on them, all that stuff must seal to work. Sometimes it won't restart easily and I have to do the shut off of hoses down at filter head and wait for the water to really settle in before starting off. I find if the wet/dry is not working then the filter hasn't filled properly and maybe there is an air bubble or something.

Certainly Jaydoc's method sounds easier, although the times I tried filling the canister first I couldn't get a prime without forcing water through with a hose.

Hope you get your filter working. Thanks for the response. I hope i get my filter working also.

Huy Nguyen
01-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Hey Lesley, you could get ur filter prime w/ an easier way. Simply suck on the air hose. U will hear the rush sound of water filling the cannister. All hoses have to be properly connected into the cannister and open the inlet and outlet hoses.

HTH,
Huy

Huy Nguyen
01-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Hmm.. Mine works fine. Is your used or brand new Paint? About the floater, I think it's too heavy for it to sink. Or it could be that the water has not filled up completely to the point that makes the floater to sink. Because once time I cleaned my, I accidently broke the floater. I then glue together but it didn't sink. I notice that the glue made it heavier than it normally should.

PaintballFan07
01-21-2005, 09:31 PM
I have tried repriming my fitler several times now n its still not workin properly. continuous flow of bubbles from canister comes out along with filtered water. N im still not getting the wet/dry effect. What should i do now?

lesley
01-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Thanks Huy,

I will try that!

Lesley

lesley
01-22-2005, 08:42 PM
PaintballFan 07

When the filter is filled and you start it and it pumps out, is the float dropping? It should then stay down for a bit while the canister fills again then when the water is about halfway up the external tube, it moves again. If it is not moving then maybe the float is jammed or damaged?

Are you sure that you are within the levels mentioned in the manual? Is everything sealed properly. If so, then I think you need to go back to the seller and get it checked out.

Lesley

PaintballFan07
01-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Hmm.. Mine works fine. Is your used or brand new Paint? About the floater, I think it's too heavy for it to sink. Or it could be that the water has not filled up completely to the point that makes the floater to sink. Because once time I cleaned my, I accidently broke the floater. I then glue together but it didn't sink. I notice that the glue made it heavier than it normally should. Huy my filter is BRAND Spankin new. i just recieved it n hooked it up the day b4 or after i started this topic.

PaintballFan07
01-22-2005, 09:31 PM
PaintballFan 07

When the filter is filled and you start it and it pumps out, is the float dropping? It should then stay down for a bit while the canister fills again then when the water is about halfway up the external tube, it moves again. If it is not moving then maybe the float is jammed or damaged?

Are you sure that you are within the levels mentioned in the manual? Is everything sealed properly. If so, then I think you need to go back to the seller and get it checked out.

Lesley the float doesnt move at all. Im sure everything is correct according to the manual.