PDA

View Full Version : Questions, Questions, & Questions

ricmod
01-21-2005, 10:58 AM
New BEEEEEEE of four months!

1. Why do you drill tanks, can you explain the purpose?

2. I noticed sponge filters on the sides of tanks using pvc? Is this a cost saving thing or does it do a better job? Does some have a diag. of this or explain how these are made?

3 My shelves are 24 in. wide, can I put 29 gal tanks on these leaving 3 in hanging over the front and back to get more room? Will it create a problem over time?

Howie_W
01-21-2005, 12:09 PM
New BEEEEEEE of four months!

1. Why do you drill tanks, can you explain the purpose?

2. I noticed sponge filters on the sides of tanks using pvc? Is this a cost saving thing or does it do a better job? Does some have a diag. of this or explain how these are made?

3 My shelves are 24 in. wide, can I put 29 gal tanks on these leaving 3 in hanging over the front and back to get more room? Will it create a problem over time?

Hi ricmod,

1. Many people with fish rooms drill their tanks as part of their automated set-ups for filtration and water exchange.

2. The sponge filter/pvc combo is a DIY option that some use. One of the members here, Dan/Gulf Coast Discus has posted some excellent pics showing how he creates them...do a search and also check out the DIY section. Sponges filter are very inexpensive so it's really just personal preference. Basically the pvc gets holes drilled for air to pass through, and then the sponge inserted over it.

3. All tanks should be flush to the edges of your shelf for proper weight ditribution. A single filled 29 gallon tank weighs aprox. 260 lbs, so you need to make sure whatever you place it on will permanently support the weight.

HTH

Howie

nacra99
01-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Hello ricmod!

4 months? I'm still a newbie at 2.5 years =) There's always something more to learn about discus. So.. addressing some of your questions

1. I agree it Howie, in some filter systems, the holes allow the water easily to flow out of the tank and into the filtration system, it is then pumped back into the tank. But drilling is not absolutely necessary, it depends on the setup you want to have. The same effect of drilling may also be accomplished by various types of overflow systems and boxes.

2.Personally... I found it cheaper to make than getting them from the store. And besides.. i think part of the fun of keeping fish is doing my own diy projects. There's a nice sense of accomplishment when i see the finished product working well.. (but this is just my opinion ;) ). As Howie mentioned.. Dan from Gulf Coast had a really nice post in the DIY section awhile back... But i dont seem to see it anymore.

3. I believe 29gals are usually about 30 (or 31) inches? I'm not sure if that will hold up in the long run, but i sure do know that after spending so much time and effort (and $$$) on everything, I wouldn't take the risk. Besides... carpet soaked in 30 gals of water is not fun at all.My take... Better to get another tank rack to place the tank on.

What kind of fish r u going to get or already have? (discus i suppose?;) )

Cheers
Marc

ricmod
01-21-2005, 05:50 PM
I currently have 11 Discus / 5 in a planted tank and 6 in a BB both 55gal.
Also have two pairs of Angles and 6 GBRams 1/2 in. hope to be able to get some pairs there also. I was hoping to save some room by turning the 29 gals 90 degrees from shelf. Maybe if I support the tank with one in. plywood I could get by. Limited space you know!

ed8t
01-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Here's Dan's DIY sponge filter:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=40648

Economies of scale the more you make the bigger the savings.

ricmod
01-22-2005, 12:56 AM
Marc
I currently have 11 Discus 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 . 5 in planted tank and 6 in BB both 55 gal. 2 pairs of Angles. 6 juvie GBRams that I hope to get a pair out of. Cory, pleco's, neons, guppies, B mollies. Spread out in three 55 gal. each pair of Angles are in their own 29 gal. and 29 gal QT empty at the moment.

Ricmod

nacra99
01-22-2005, 01:44 AM
Wow... sounds like you got quite a setup =). R the guppies and mollies in the discus tank too? Coz they don't do too well in discus temperatures (at least with me they don't). Which discus are in the planted tank? Some of the breeders here will tell you that if you want fast growing large discus, you should grow them out in a BB tank, feed them like crazy and wait till their about fully grown before putting them in a planted tank. Planted tanks make for a harder time to achieve clean water and clean tanks (daily w/c's) in order to achieve those large sized discus that people talk about. But IMHO, if your goal is just to have a nice show tank with nice fish and are not concerned with the size, then having juveniles in planted tanks is ok. Personally, all my juveniles are in BB tanks... it's very much easier to maintain.
More of that is discussed in this thread.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=40849

I think the 1" plywood would be okay for the time being... but i've seen wierd things happen to even 1" plywood when water gets into it especially for prolonged periods.... I would personally play it safe and put it somewhere else... but that's just me :D Wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on this?

Post some pics =)

Cheers
Marc

aggie_67
01-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Drilled tanks are not only for automated systems. I have mine at half way point, great for changing water each night; no sucking on hose, no accidental draining tanks too low, etc. I open drain valve and tank drains to half full while I do other things. It's great!!!

ricmod
02-02-2005, 03:10 AM
nacra99
My guppies and mollies seem to do fine with the Discus at 84 degrees, even the neons seem to get used to it. Bcobalt, PB, BD 2-marbro reds, 2 yellow galaxy and they seen to be growing fine at present. Will be moving some of them to 125 gal I just set up, when cycled. It is a little harder to clean sand over floreite, but I don't care and the fish seem to think its clean enough. (At least thats what the tell me!) I'll try and get some pic's in a day or two.
ricmod :D :D :D

Northwestcoastdisc
02-02-2005, 03:22 PM
hi ricmod,

Wait your discus will grow bigger about 3" to 5 " They will eat neon.

The Drill hole tanks for water change with many tanks. If you have less than 10 tanks you should not make drill hole I have 50 tanks. They don't have drill hole. I do work with them by hose for water changes and fill up with big water pump 5 to 6 hours every day. If I will make drill hole tanks I would work about 1 or 2 hours maybe i am wrong I had no experince with drill hole tanks. some of discus breeders do that.

Good luck you will enjoy your discus grow bigger.

Duncan