PDA

View Full Version : wild heckel?

Chinaman
01-26-2005, 04:27 AM
has any one seen this type of heckel? I am been told this is a wild heckel.

Mike_T
01-26-2005, 10:33 AM
improbable, but not impossible i guess. i've never seen a proven wild fish that looks like that. the black rim is pretty pronounced. either way, gorgeous fish. maybe someone else can give you some insight.

fishfarm
01-26-2005, 11:46 AM
Looks like a wild fish, my guess is a natural wild cross with a blue, I've been getting some blue fish from Peru that are almost solid blue like that, and blues are not native to Peru, I think people are throwing domestic fish in the rivers and they are crossing with the wilds. Either way I'd like to have that blue heckel. :) Ken

Northwestcoastdisc
01-26-2005, 05:52 PM
hi Chinaman

1) Where did you get the photos?
2) Are they catch the blue heckel from the river?
3) Who take photo of them?

Duncan

Northwestcoastdisc
01-26-2005, 05:52 PM
The blue heckel is a male 100%

belowwater.com
01-26-2005, 08:07 PM
1. Please do not post photographs without the consent of the owner or at least link to the website...since that fish is here on Saturday and i was there last Saturday to select fish i am sure you understand.
2. there are wild fish that look like that, just not many, this is the best of around 30 fish like this i have here.
3. this is a blue Heckel from the Nhamunda region, there are hundreds of fish there like this, just not many this good. At least a dozen of you have fish like this from me.
4. If anyone thinks that throwing domestic fish in a river to improve the shape, colour, or anything on a wild population is even possible than you must not understand evolution. IT IS NONSENSE. but yes, it has been tried. You think you will grow poodles if you release 30 of them on a beach in Jamaica?

Oliver
http://www.belowwater.com

Cosmo
01-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Beautiful fish ... might have to look you up in a few months :)

Jim

Tad
01-27-2005, 01:00 AM
3. this is a blue Heckel from the Nhamunda region, there are hundreds of fish there like this, just not many this good. At least a dozen of you have fish like this from me.Oliver,
Im really impressed with the blue color of the Heckel from the Nhamunda. Not your normal Heckel, can you explain the genetics of this particular fish? Also as a special favor to Me :) Im wondering if I forward you another map of Amazonia if you could fill in again with colored dots the locations and origins of the different types of discus (like you did a couple of years ago) as this map is lost and it sure would help a lot of us wild enthusiast with some updated information. If not I can understand your busy schedule..

With the highest regards,
Tad

Chinaman
01-27-2005, 03:19 AM
Sorry Oliver,

didn't know this picture was from your web site. I have taken it off, once again I apologise.

Regards,

Ramon Anastacio
02-01-2005, 11:38 PM
http://news.petballoon.co.jp/arrival/050128files/050128.html

In addition to Oliver's website, you can click on the link above to see more blue Heckel photos. It's a Japanese company that sells wild discus and I usually enjoy looking through their pictures.

Ramon

Wahter
02-04-2005, 11:37 PM
I found a few more on this Japanese website too:

http://www.an-aquarium.com/An/Discus_An-Style/index.html

Certainly are nice looking wilds.

Spices
02-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Whoa!!! That is a gorgeous looking blue wild heckel. Thanks for providing the links fellas! Nice research, too, Oliver. Wonder what the going bid is for fish like that. Anyone knows?

*Angie*