PDA

View Full Version : DISCUS SHAPE

bio new
01-30-2005, 03:09 AM
HI,

How to "repair" or prevent a discus from having this shape > and looked like a macaw beak so that it will eventually become this shape ) around its forefront mouth?

Do you think it has something to do with the food that is being given?

CHEERS!

Howie_W
01-30-2005, 11:02 AM
The best way to prevent owning misshapen fish are;

1. Buy your fish from a reputable breeder.

2. Grow out your fish in clean stable water conditions.

Poor shape is often the result of genetic deformities. In addition, fish that have been raised in poor water conditions and with improper diet can easily become stunted/underdeveloped and have poor shape and size.

Howie

hexed
01-30-2005, 03:04 PM
How old are they and are they in a BB or graveled tank?
I had one that was shaped like a triangle LOL. He's now very nicely rounded. I think it's because of the water conditions and lack of food or not enough food. I feed mine a lot of food (I feed thew juvies 3-4 times a day). With WCs and proper feeding they will grow out. If they are already adults then they are stunted :(

bio new
01-31-2005, 01:00 AM
Hi Howie and Hexed,

I attached the fotos of my fish. Any chance to have them back to normal? I feed them with proper food and have daily WCs. As you can see, immediately after the lips down to the chest, there is some concave shape. The chest as I see, buldge out a bit.

Please comment.

Thank you.

bio new
01-31-2005, 01:05 AM
The second foto.

I think this one gone case, but I hope he can be saved.

Our friend here is abt 8 mths. Housed in a BB tank, eats alot until has chronic bloated case. Epsom salt didn't help at all. Very fierce to other tank mates.

Thanks again.

hexed
01-31-2005, 01:33 AM
They are still young, only 8 months. They will fill in and get nice and round ;)

Carol_Roberts
01-31-2005, 05:29 PM
# 1 looks fine, #2 may never be perfectly round - hard to tell with funny picture angle

blaze
01-31-2005, 09:30 PM
the one inthe first pic looks ok to me

bio new
02-01-2005, 08:59 AM
# 1 looks fine, #2 may never be perfectly round - hard to tell with funny picture angle

Carol,

Its from the 100% side view. Camera and fish are parallel to one another. The #2 really look odd, thats why I posted message.

I agree with you, maybe can never be perfectly round.

CHEERS!

bio new
02-01-2005, 09:02 AM
HI,

Thx alot for your comments and suggestions.

CHEERS!