PDA

View Full Version : 50/50 tank light bulbs

PaintballFan07
02-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Hi, I currently have 2 48" 40w sun glo bulbs in my tank n i prefer the ocean blue look that Actinic light bulbs have. If i were to use one of my sun glo's n 1 coral life 100% blue will this be the same as a 50/50? Can sumone post a pic of a 50/50 light in there tank n 1 of 100% actinic blue. thanks in advance

Cosmo
02-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Hey Paintball,

In the pics in my thread about just finishing the BB Conversion (this section last week), that tank had 2 30 watt 50/50 bulbs ... keep in mind though that other factors effect what the lights will look like, both in real life and especially in pics.. my guess is that you'd have to get pics from a saltwater type of nothing but straight actinic's since I don't think they're common on freshwater tanks..

On using one sun glo and one actinic, I think it would depend somewhat on the size of the tank.. on a small tank that may work, but on a big tank I think you'd notice a definite difference as the fish swam from the front to back and visa versa.

hth
Jim

PaintballFan07
02-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Hey Paintball,

In the pics in my thread about just finishing the BB Conversion (this section last week), that tank had 2 30 watt 50/50 bulbs ... keep in mind though that other factors effect what the lights will look like, both in real life and especially in pics.. my guess is that you'd have to get pics from a saltwater type of nothing but straight actinic's since I don't think they're common on freshwater tanks..

On using one sun glo and one actinic, I think it would depend somewhat on the size of the tank.. on a small tank that may work, but on a big tank I think you'd notice a definite difference as the fish swam from the front to back and visa versa.

hth
Jim
Thanx Cosmos. Arent lights that come with All Glass aquariums 100% actinic blue? If so then i kno wat 100% blue will make my tank look like.

Alaskaknucklehead
02-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Even actnics can even differ in color spectrums ranging from purple's to an almost white blue. Depinding on the color of your discus these may not be the best choice for you. In a NO lamp I like the aquari-lux, and they are inexpensive too.

Alaskaknucklehead
02-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Couldnt go wrong with the 50/50's though

PaintballFan07
02-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Couldnt go wrong with the 50/50's thoughThanx for the info. I am gonna purchase 2 coral life 50/50's

RandalB
02-08-2005, 12:23 PM
All-Glass strip lights come with a 9325K GE Aqua-Rays bulb. It's a Blue/Red enhancing bulb. It's a good freshwater bulb and cheap to boot. It's not considered a specific Actinic bulb.

HTH,
RandalB

Moon
02-08-2005, 01:28 PM
I understand Actinic lamps have a higher content of long wave UV. Will this have an impact on the fertility of discus?
Salt water guys use Actinic to reproduce deep water conditions where only the long wave part of the spectrum penetrates the deeps of the ocean. Discus are essentially shallow water fish and may be effected by long wave UV. Something to think about.