PDA

View Full Version : X-rays make discud sterile

blaze
02-07-2005, 08:31 PM
This has been said to me twice now. That when importing fish make sure that the fishes dont pass under the X-RAY machine. I doubt its true, what do ya'll say?

RyanH
02-07-2005, 08:52 PM
This has always been my understanding as well although I have not read any primary scientific literature or heard about any studies done.

If anyone has seen or has access to a primary source on this topic I'm sure that there are alot of people here that would be interested in reading it.

Huy Nguyen
02-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Well, I've heard about it too. But I speak from my experience that it's not true for me. I imported 2 discus a while back then. It happens that one is a male and the other is female. The male has been giving me 3 batches of fries already.

HTH,
Huy

blaze
02-08-2005, 11:47 AM
any other opinions?

roger
02-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Considering the number of fish that are imported from both Europe and Asia I think if there was any real truth to the matter that you would have people screaming bloody murder about it.

I think what your more likely to find is that domesticated male discus as a whole can be sterile part of the time, probably a greater part than we care to admit.

Asian spotted fish are also very prone to being sterile or infertile due to the use of hormones to get the spots to show up in small fish. Im not saying this to mean every imported asian fish is juiced or that they are sterile, more to say that chances go up with them.

Peace,
Roger

brewmaster15
02-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi,
It takes a very high dose of xrays for a certain duration to sterilize something...I don't think airport xrays would be strong enough to sterilize fish.

-al

JimmyL
02-08-2005, 03:42 PM
I bring back fish from Asia at least twice a year. All had been X-rayed twice and most are able to breed successfully. Eventhough I collect disavantage fish as God's gifts that other hobbyists consider culls. The F2 from the appearance challenged fish are also producing normal round body offsprings.I'm not able to collect too many so far.
Jimmy

blaze
02-08-2005, 06:20 PM
thought as much.......thanks everone

KYDISCUSCOLLECTOR
02-08-2005, 08:02 PM
I am an x-ray technologist, and discus would have to be x-rayed multiple times for extended periods for this to occur. The discus would be sick on arrival, as the threshold for biological effects would be near death to cause sterility.

RyanH
02-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know that I don't have to worry about this so much the next time I travel and end up buying fish. :)

Howie_W
02-09-2005, 11:11 AM
If you really wanted to go the extra mile, you could insert the box containing the fish into a lead lined container for extra piece of mind. :)

Howie

blaze
02-09-2005, 01:22 PM
well that will works ....... except lead is as heavy as...LEAD... shipping fees :(

mikeos
02-10-2005, 05:25 AM
I am an x-ray technologist, and discus would have to be x-rayed multiple times for extended periods for this to occur. The discus would be sick on arrival, as the threshold for biological effects would be near death to cause sterility.
Just checked with a friend of mine, in a similar job, & he says that to sterilise in one go from a "full body xray" the dose would actually kill..rather quickly

aziyaeian
02-10-2005, 06:11 AM
I am waiting for big batch from thailand.
these post made me assured.
thanks all