PDA

View Full Version : Water Storage/Changing Questions???

jdellman
02-08-2005, 11:16 PM
I have a few questions about the holding tank. I noticed that after about 6 weeks, the sides of my plastic garbage can are slimy. How often should it be cleaned, and does it need anything more than just a wipe down?

Also, I plan on switching to a holding tank underneath the tank in a cabinet for storing water, and assume that cleaning that tank will be very difficult. Any suggestions to make cleaning that one easier?

One last water change question- Whenever I change water, I can not get more than 20 gallons out of my 75 gallon tank before the HOB Emperor 400 starts sputtering, and finally stops. The inlet tube is still submerged, and I recently cleaned the Penquin. Any ideas on how to get more water out without having the Penquin stop?

Thanks in advance. :)

Carol_Roberts
02-09-2005, 12:21 AM
I can easily empty my tank by 50% and the aqua clear does not lose suction. I have two tubes (extension) as shown below

Carol_Roberts
02-09-2005, 12:25 AM
I wipe out my storage barrels a couple of times a year with a long handled toilet brush reserved for that purpose only. I rinse with tap water.

garumph
02-09-2005, 01:22 AM
I assume the mossy/moldy smell is OK? I have a small amount of brown slime on the sides of my storage container. I am wiping it down about once a month.

RyanH
02-09-2005, 11:27 AM
It is a good idea to wipe these storage containers down from time to time as they can be a good substrate for bacterial growth. The algae itself is harmless for the most part.

Howie_W
02-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Hi jdellman

I have a few questions about the holding tank. I noticed that after about 6 weeks, the sides of my plastic garbage can are slimy. How often should it be cleaned, and does it need anything more than just a wipe down? You want to make sure that excess bacteria is not building on the insides of the container or along any other equipment such as hose or airlines etc. When you get down to the bottom of the container during water changes you can periodically wipe down the insides with plain white (ink free) paper towel.

One last water change question- Whenever I change water, I can not get more than 20 gallons out of my 75 gallon tank before the HOB Emperor 400 starts sputtering, and finally stops. The inlet tube is still submerged, and I recently cleaned the Penquin. Any ideas on how to get more water out without having the Penquin stop? As Carol mentioned, it helps to have an extension on the inlet tube. It's also not a problem if you temporarily turn the filter off during your water change; If you do this you need to make sure you remove your prefilter before the power is turned off (your prefilter sponge should be rinsed once a day so this is a good time to do it). While the tank is refilling, you can inspect the inside of the filter to make sure it's clean, and or perform occasional maintenance such as rinsing any foam media in your used tank water.

I've also found it helpful to keep any electrical items being turned off during water changes on the same power strip...this makes it easy to quickly flick on and off during your water changes.

Howie

Cosmo
02-09-2005, 01:06 PM
In jdellman's defence.. I have the extension on my Emporor and it still sucks dry long before reaching the 50% point. Never had this problem with the one I had about 8 years ago... maybe they changed the motor ??

My storage tanks are about 4ft tall and only have an 8in screw off top to reach in with. I clean every few months using a new, untreated, scouring pad attached to a piece of pvc pipe with nylon ties. Normall just use tap water. As suggested by Howie.. also good to clean any air tubing, electrical lines (heaters) or tubing (pumps) at the same time.

Jim

jdellman
02-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Thank you all. My Aquaclear does not stop, it is only the Emperor, and it has an extension that reaches about two inches from the bottom. Maybe the motor is just too weak, and I should switch to another Aquaclear.

aggie_67
02-10-2005, 12:32 AM
It's not the motor, std alternating motors either run at there rated rpm or they kick out, no slowing down. It is more likely the design of the impellor-pump housing. The AC just has a better design.