PDA

View Full Version : Custom stand for a 55 gallon?

Ryan
02-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of a problem. I live in a small, old house and there's not much room in the living room for a tank. Before, I had it sitting next to my entertainment center, but it didn't look right there and made the walkway into my living room crowded.

I have recently redone my living room (new floors, new furniture, etc.) and I realized a perfect place for my tank -- there's a brick fireplace that takes up an entire wall in my living room, and part of the brick footer of the fireplace juts out at an angle where two of the walls meet.I thought that I could put the stand and tank on that brick footer, and it would be raised a little and show the tank off nicely. Plus the tank would be out of the way.

There's only one problem -- the mantle. My existing 55's won't fit there because they are too tall. With stand and lights included, the tank stands about 5" too tall to fit on that brick ledge because of the placement of the mantle.

Does anyone have plans for a shorter-than-standard 55 gallon stand? Or does anyone know where I can get regular 55 gallon stand prints, and then I could just shorten the height myself? I'm just looking to build a regular wood stand and paint it black.

Ryan

Alight
02-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Ryan, I believe that Walmart sells just the stand you're looking for. I got one for may tank, and had to raise it 5" with a custom built riser to bring it up to the standard height.

Its a good looking, black stand, designed specifically for a 55 long tank.

Its also very inexpensive--I think I got it for less than $100.