PDA

View Full Version : Couple Dark discus...

Marco164
02-10-2005, 08:37 PM
So i just got some fish shipped in from NWCD and they are awesome and packaging and everything was awesome but on hitting my water they have started breathing faster....Some are just breathing a bit faster and are light, showing color and eating....but i've got a few that are really dark and breathing fast and not eating...Could it just be those guys are handling the shipping a bit harsher? and have a bit more ammonia burn? I Have melafix is it ok to put that in or should i separate the good and bad into different tanks and put melafix in to just the dark ones tank? Or wait a bit....tho they are only a little bigger than a dollar soo....THey prolly won't do that great without food soon?(I've never had fish this small before!) :confused:

funkyfish
02-10-2005, 09:40 PM
i get my fish from a breeder with real soft water out of tap when i get them
they look good in the bag with his water when i get done aclimating them and put them in my tank they get dark and hide for a few days. I am not a pro but i think it has something to do with the hardness of my water.i have real hard water. when i buy from a local dealer i have no prob. just a few words from my experiance good luck

Marco164
02-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Hey thanks funkyfish, I think your right because all were eating now and looking better, I really got awesome fish From NWCD, duncan has great quality fish, there the best little guys i've had yet :D

Howie_W
02-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi Marco,

The entire transport ordeal is fairly stressful on fish and they need time to acclimate to their new set-up.

On the first full day I usually salt the tank to help relieve stress during transport, keep the lights off, and hold back on feeding while they get acclimated. If they are already settled in enough to eat that sounds great. No need to medicate. Keep up on water changes and tank maintenance and they should be fine.

Howie

Northwestcoastdisc
02-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi Marco.

I am so glad your Discus are doing so well!

I agree with Howie's suggestion.

Always put salt help them for keep clean, gill funcation, body, etc it is possable help stress less. The Melafixa can use it if you need them. I do melafix when fish from shipping they got bad wound, hurt, I would treat melafix.

very important is lot of water change, keep clean sides of glass tanks include bottom, heater, etc to make cut down baterica growth.

my tip.

1) wipe all sides of glasses.
2) turn off air bubbles because let dirty come down to bottom tank.
3) use vacum to clean up dirty off from bottom tank.
4) fill up new water or turn on air bubble.
5) add salt.

Enjoy your fish would be happy :)

HTH

Duncan