PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Cycle with fish or "fishless" cycle?

ecrew
02-18-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm setting up a 90 gal showtank soon and I was thinking of doing a "fishless" cycle.

What would you prefer?

Does it really matter which way you go?

Which method takes longer?

I don't have a problem with the time it'll tank to let the tank cycle. I'm not looking to purchase the Discus too soon anyway. We'll need to recover from buying the equipment and having the entertainment/fish tank cabinet unit built in the den. :)

Thanks!

Howie_W
02-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Hi Liz,

You have several options;

1. The easiest is to use your existing tank to seed several sponge filters that can be transferred to a new tank. I keep extra sponges going at all times...I find this is a must, especially if you need to set-up a hospital tank for emergencies..

2. The fishless cycle method. Best way to go if this is your first tank.

If you already have existing fish, it's healthier to leave them alone than to subject them to being placed in an uncycled tank and run the risk of having sick fish. If you are transferring a healthy sponge to a new set-up, you can always place some small dither fish from your existing set-up at the same time to make sure the tank is running properly.

Howie

ecrew
02-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Hi Howie,

Even though we're having trouble cycling our 40 gal, i'll probably get some sponges to add to it. That's a good idea!! At least that will give me a jumpstart! :)

Liz

alpine
02-18-2005, 02:41 PM
I am trying to cycle 3 tanks and decided to follow the Fishless Tank Advise , it made sense to me to start with a perfectly clean tank and then buy my Discus.
Howie, when you say you keep extra sponges fro a Hospital tank etc. I was thinking that I might want to have a 20 gallon aside for medication,with a heater and aged water but I though it would have to depend just in water changes since I though the medications would kill the bacteria present in the filters ??? Just having lots of time to think while I cycle .

thanks,
Roberto.

Cosmo
02-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Since you state you don't mind waiting, the fishless cycling is the safest method as you don't run the risk of transferring anything unwanted from the seeding tank to the new tank. As Howie said, putting fish in an uncycled tank is very stressful on the fish in addition to being considerably more work for you.

Roberto, some meds do kill the bacteria in the filter, some do not.. depends on what you're using, dosage, and how long. Having said that, it is still a good idea to do large daily WC's with a fish in the hospital to provide fresh water before you re-medicate the daily dose.

Jim

alpine
02-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the answer Jim. Do you keep one or two medication tanks. How large are your medication tanks ? Do you put Hydro sponge filters on them as a overall rule when you use them ? Are most regular meds use on Discus bad for the bacteria or just a few ? would it be ok for me to assume I could keep a 20 gallon with heater and aged water to medicate and not depend on biological filtration for the short amount of time needed ?

Liz, sorry. I hope I am not imposing on your thread.

Thanks,
Roberto.

ecrew
02-18-2005, 05:03 PM
Roberto, don't worry about it! :) You're asking great questions that I want answers to as well! :) I'm still trying to understand the QT/Hospital tank issue too.

Carol_Roberts
02-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the answer Jim. Do you keep one or two medication tanks. How large are your medication tanks ? Do you put Hydro sponge filters on them as a overall rule when you use them ? Are most regular meds use on Discus bad for the bacteria or just a few ? would it be ok for me to assume I could keep a 20 gallon with heater and aged water to medicate and not depend on biological filtration for the short amount of time needed ?

Liz, sorry. I hope I am not imposing on your thread.

Thanks,
Roberto.
One hospital tank whould be plenty - unless you are trying to quarantine new fish from two or more vendors.

29 gallon is a good size for a hospital tank. A hydro sponge or small aqua clear for filtration, but you can rely on daily water changes with aged water.

Most worm medications and metronidazole are easy on the biofilter.

Howie_W
02-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Howie, when you say you keep extra sponges fro a Hospital tank etc. I was thinking that I might want to have a 20 gallon aside for medication,with a heater and aged water but I though it would have to depend just in water changes since I though the medications would kill the bacteria present in the filters ??? Just having lots of time to think while I cycle .

thanks,
Roberto.

Hi Roberto,

In addition to Carol and Jim's comments, for Discus (and fish keeping in general) it's makes good sense to follow the Boy Scouts motto and "always be prepared." This is applies to all essential items like having extra heaters, sponges etc. available for whatever reason.

Even in situations that would require you to use medications that are harmful to the biofilter, you may reach a point where you are done medicating and are still keeping a fish in quarantine and making sure that it is fully recovered and ready to be transferred back in with other tank mates.

Howie

alpine
02-19-2005, 06:32 PM
I have decided to get a 20 gallon for medication tank , have a couple of steel stands my wife uses for the flowers and I can borrow one. I will put a heater and air stone and later depending on the type of medication will have a spare Aquaclear 50 that I can borrow some sponges from my regular tanks(double the sponges on them ) . Don't want to keep so many Hydros and Aquaclears running .
Thanks Carol, Jim and Howie.
Howie, I guess I will have to get my 22 year old son involve in helping me make my Discus Room decisions , he is after all an "Eagle Scout ". ;)
Thanks again,
Roberto.