PDA

View Full Version : Best filter type for planted discus tank?

2xWS6
02-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Hello everyone. I am planning my 55g discus tank. It will have a small gravel or florabase substrate, moderately planted with swords and bunch plants. My question is what type of filter do you guys reccomend for this kind of setup? I run a Fluval in my community tank and a hang on back powerfilter on my angel tank. These work fine for what I'm using them for, but which will keep the water clean enough for the discus? Thanks.

peteypob
02-20-2005, 11:37 PM
It really depends.... Will you be running co2? Do you have a budget?
IMO I would go with either another fluval or an ehiem to aviod water agitation and to keep from slamming your plants around. I have an aqua clear on one of my tanks(55gal) heavily planted and my plants tend to get pushed around with the current. If I could start again I would go with the ehiem. Not saying it cant be done with a hang on back filter because my tank has tremendous growth and is doing just fine. I just have to watch what I plant where the current is heavy. Ehiems do a pretty good job on keeping my water clean. I really dont like to see a bunch of equipment in my tank so on my ehiems I run an external heater and co2 reactor, all under the tank. On my 55gal I have my ebo and diffusor with I find ways to hide them. HTH
Pete