PDA

View Full Version : discus or beefheart recipes for the ACA

lauris
02-23-2005, 05:04 PM
This past weekend i took a sixty pound box of frozen beefheart and turned it into 42 separate 7 oz packages of discus food. In about hour ten of the ordeal, it occurred to me that there must be some personal use i could make of some ground beefheart. so, does anyone have any recipes using ground beefheart for human consumption? anyone care to participate in a beefheart bakeoff at the ACA?

on a somewhat related topic, how many members here have eaten their own discus? i have about ten blue pandas and blue diamonds that are well beyond eating size. i hope to get a couple pairs and then am seriously considering eating the rest. i really don't have the tank space to let them sit around eating beefheart and unless someone in the area wants them i am not going to be able to keep them. anyone for a discus fry at the ACA? that would blow some minds, a bunch of discus keepers barbequing their peppery pigeon bloods.

lldewe
02-23-2005, 06:01 PM
>>i hope to get a couple pairs and then am seriously considering eating the rest. i really don't have the tank space to let them sit around eating beefheart and unless someone in the area wants them i am not going to be able to keep them

Oh my Goodness...that is NOT something I have ever considered...heavens, if you don't want them send them my way please before you eat them!!!!!!

Lorie

bobcat
02-27-2005, 04:09 PM
yes. please send me the discus so i can have some of this yum yum

dirk50merc
03-25-2005, 02:04 PM
luaris,
I will gladly take some of your overstock of your hands.

I know Talapias are kept in the aquarium and also raised for eating. Lots of locals eat discus from local waters. But a word of advise, your fish have been raised in fairly confinned quarters and I could not imagine they will retain the flavor of their wild cousins. Use garlic.

If you really want to eat discus go buy some wild caught species see if they fit your pallet. Or better yet send those to me as well. LOL

jeep
03-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Mix it in with some ground pork and spices...:alien: LOTS of garlic :D

Moon
03-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Humans do consume beef hearts. Have you not heard of braised beef hearts? Very tasty I might add.

lauris
03-26-2005, 01:05 PM
moon, talk is cheap. pictures of you gnawing on a slab of braised beef heart? recipe? you can braise a shoe but that don't mean it would taste good. i was actually more interested in cooking the ground or cubed beef heart. a sausage recipe would be a lot of work, and after my recent experience with blood sausage, i am staying mainstream in my choice of breakfast links. as to eating discus culls, i really don't think it is that outlandish. isn't that a more honorable end for a discus than a slow chill in the freezer? or getting buried alive in the garden?

Moon
03-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Braised beef harts used to be very popular in the UK in the 60's. I have had it and it tastes good. I have no idea as to how it is cooked. Someone must have a recepie.

Tad
03-29-2005, 12:46 AM
I've only eaten Deer Heart and its good :D ,
Tad

dirk50merc
03-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Beef tongue isn't bad served at a lot of Delis, my wife loves it. Judging from tongue it will need cooked (boiled) for several hours to tenderize it. I have referance several old cook books and can not find any heart recipes, though I did find several tongue recipes, tripe recipes, and even a recipe for oppossum stuffing for you beef.

Then there is the internet OH BOY YUM YUM:

Recipe #1

Beef heart has a strong flavor and is not for the faint of heart. But
for those that love its robust flavor this recipe shines through.

Ingredients

4 pounds beef heart
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 potatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup red wine

Directions

1. Wash the heart and remove any fat and arteries. Slice the heart in
half, then slice it into 1/2 inch thick slices.
2. Dredge heart in flour and season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat the butter in large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the
heart slices and cook for 30 to 45 seconds per side.
4. Stir in the onion, carrots, potatoes, thyme, water and wine.
Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Serve

Recipe #2

Recipe: Anticuchos (grilled Beef Heart)
Anticuchos (Grilled Beef Heart)

8 dried puya chiles -- wiped clean
(or 4 dried California chiles) -- wiped
clean
4 chiles de arbol
2 tablespoons annatto seeds
1 garlic clove -- peeled
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 jalapeno chile -- stemmed, seeded,
-- and roughly chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 pound beef hearts -- trimmed of all
-- sinew and silverskin

Remove stems from chiles and shake out and discard seeds. In small saucepan place chiles with enough water to cover.
Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let sit 20 minutes to soften. Drain and discard water.
In a blender combine dried chiles, annatto seeds, garlic, cumin, red wine vinegar and jalapeno. Puree at high speed 1 to 2 minutes, or until thick and smooth. Add olive oil and salt and blend again until mixed.
Cut beef hearts into 2- by 1/4-inch strips. Place in a bowl, pour over chile mixture and toss to coat evenly.
Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat grill or broiler.
Thread 4 to 5 pieces of beef heart on a bamboo skewer.
Grill until seared on all sides, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Serve hot.

Let me know if those work, Dirk

NTORIUSB
04-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Does not sound like something I would want to eat!!!

chris allsop
04-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Eating discus???????
You have got to be joking?????????

raglanroad
04-26-2005, 12:19 PM
unless someone in the area wants them i am not going to be able to keep them. anyone for a discus fry at the ACA? that would blow some minds, a bunch of discus keepers barbequing their peppery pigeon bloods.Now we know what happened to the hamster.

ericatdallas
04-17-2011, 12:07 AM
on a somewhat related topic, how many members here have eaten their own discus? i have about ten blue pandas and blue diamonds that are well beyond eating size. i hope to get a couple pairs and then am seriously considering eating the rest. i really don't have the tank space to let them sit around eating beefheart and unless someone in the area wants them i am not going to be able to keep them. anyone for a discus fry at the ACA? that would blow some minds, a bunch of discus keepers barbequing their peppery pigeon bloods.

Don't know why I keep resurrecting old threads... Google brings up the strangest things when I try to look up things.

Anyway, did you (or anyone know if this guy) actually ate their discus? That's a bit odd to me... Someone somewhere will pay for them. I'll pay $20/lb for a discus and NOT eat it :P

I suppose this is another method of culling...

roclement
04-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Yeah Eric, him and I had a discus cook-off and I won! Discus stew is great, I prefer the flavor of German discus myself but some people swear by wild discus since they have a more gammy flavour! :)

Rodrigo...JK of course!