PDA

View Full Version : What are these wilds called?

hexed
02-23-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi,
I purchased two of these from Aquabid and was wondering what the exact name is for them? The title was "Wild Caught Tefe White 5 inch" The picture is the actual pic from the auction page and belongs to the seller.

brewmaster15
02-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Wild caught Tefe white? :confused: :confused:

Its a washed out pic but looks like a common Brown discus.

-al

hexed
02-24-2005, 12:40 AM
Her's some pics of what they look like in my tank

hexed
02-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Here's another, please bear with me I just found out yesterday that I am both near and far sighted so getting really clear pics is very difficult right now until I get my glasses LOL.

hexed
02-24-2005, 12:48 AM
One more. I was taking this one and noticed the pair next to them are laying eggs and the male is going over them OH HAPPY DAY! and they didn't even notice me and the flash LOL!

hexed
02-24-2005, 01:17 AM
One more question, Do wilds do Ok in a bare bottom tank or should I set up a tank with sand?

brewmaster15
02-24-2005, 01:17 AM
Hi Frank,
What you got looks like Blues, but the pics could be misleading.

-al

ShinShin
02-24-2005, 04:09 PM
From whom were these discus purchased? You can PM me if you are not comfortable posting the name. I have my suspicions, though.I have never heard of a Tefe White.

fishfarm
03-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Made up name to fool the unsuspecting, I saw that guys auctions and got a good laugh. He had 3 all with some weird made up name. They are NOT Tefe, not even greens, Look like common blues to me. If your happy with them it doesn't matter, I keep all my wilds in bare bottom tanks, easier to clean. Ken

discusrama
03-18-2005, 05:57 AM
Hi All!

I have over 20 of these discus. They are common blues. They are very hardy fishes and make good breeding pairs too.

Even here in Mumbai, India, we have shops selling common discus with exotic made-up-names like " Rudy dust", " Yellow Burgundy", "Sunshine",etc.

Well, any name - that can help sell the fish !!!

Rama :bandana:

Salvaje
03-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Fishfarm,

Yeah, I got a good laugh too when I saw you selling PERU BLUE discus in Aquabid. As far as I know, there are only greens over there.

;)
Pam

hexed
01-21-2007, 03:45 AM
Ok Al,
Here is the same fish all grown up. I took pics of each side. What kind is it LOL!

Polar_Bear
01-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Frank,
Symphysodon aequifasciatus haraldi, or "Royal Blue" I still have my doubts that this is an entirely wild fish though, it has far too many RT characteristics. But again it is certainly a very good looking discus.

architect1
01-21-2007, 11:37 AM
I have no clue but just wanted to say what a beautiful fish. amazing coloration and pattern.

AmberC
01-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Those are beautiful!

jim_shedden
01-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Blues

Jim

swinters66
01-21-2007, 11:16 PM
WOW...those last pictures are gorgeous! If they were mine...I wouldnt care what they are called...haha...

hexed
01-22-2007, 02:05 AM
Thanks guys, glad you like him cause I do too! :D
I do have to say this: He was more of a plain brownish color but all he eats mostly is colorbits and I think that is why he has an orangy color but the flash didn't hurt either just made it more intense.

Apistomaster
01-22-2007, 02:33 AM
I have to agree totally with Polar Bear. The last photos fit my concept of royal blues and the first photos as basic blues.
I seriously doubt the royal blues are wild fish. At most they might be a cross between wild and domestic but I lean toward domestic.
That does not in anyway detract from their beauty, What I like about your royals is that they retain much of the best feaures of wild type fish and wild fish are my favorites.
While discontinuous bars do occur in wild fish the degree the one fish shows is far more often seen among tank raised strains.

brewmaster15
01-22-2007, 12:41 PM
I thought they were blues when young... and I think the same now.:)

Are they wild or domestic crosses... who knows? When I used to sell wilds..I saw many that looked liked your fish when you first got them.

What makes me lean more towards them being wilds is when you got them they were close to five inches and had a very subdued color...with any commercial diet that hard to achieve in any domestic striated fish.... Its common for a juvenile wild though. JMO.

-al

Apistomaster
01-23-2007, 03:27 AM
All the wild blues I have ever had were showing their full adult colors at 5 inches and were fully capable of spawning. After that all that was left was for them to get larger. I had a fish shop and I specialized in stocking discus as well as my own breeding operation so I had the opportunity to go through a lot of fish compared to hobbyists. This occurred in the golden days of wild discus imports when royal blues could be easily purchased wholesale for $15 to $20 each.
Having done that I am only trying to breed Heckels since they are the only discus I haven't been successful breeding yet.
Of course it is impossible to really know now unless you have a reliable source of wild discus and with so many breeders around the world but it hasn't always been like that.

Apistomaster
01-25-2007, 11:47 PM
I don't know if this will work but I'm trying to post a photo of a 4-1/2 inch blue discus.
I'll be darned it worked. This is my idea of an archetypical plain blue discus. Note the colors on this young male. This is how much color it will always have. It remains only for it to grow larger. It is much bluer in life and not greenish as the picture shows. I don't have anything but turquoise or red spotted turquoise to match him up with which is something I'll be doing soon.
It falls short of being a royal blue but it is 100% wild.

brewmaster15
01-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Sorry Larry,
My experience with Wilds has been different than Yours. I have seen a tremendous amount of color change and development in young adults and Adult wilds in captivity. This I have seen in degree of red coloration, spot definition, and striation development.

Take care,
al

Ramon Anastacio
01-26-2007, 08:05 AM
My experience with wilds is similar to Al's - a lot of variation in color, striation with blue discus, especially as young adults mature in captivity.
I've had this wild caught blue for a little over three years now. When I first got the fish, it only had a few blue striations on it.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/ranastacio/HW5R2911_1.jpg

This Jatapu from Oliver Lucanus is my best Royal Blue. It looks like a striated red turquoise and it is wild caught.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/ranastacio/jatapuroyal.jpg

Apistomaster
01-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Hi Ramon and Brewmaster,
What superb royal blues you have, especially the one from Oliver.
I am not saying discus colors don't develop over time. So much depends on the genetic background of the fish.
All I meant to convey with my ordinary blue is that it has reached sexual maturity and I have no expectations that it will develop more striations or become anything like a royal blue. I just think this fish is a nice example of what I consider an ordinary blue discus, pretty in it's own right.
I received it in an order of Heckels! Not quite but it turned out alright despite the fact that it arrived starved to paper thin, no ventral fins and the anal and dorsal fins were nearly rotted off. I have never had a discus that sick live let alone recover to be in the shape it is in today. Basically he is my miracle discus. It does have a strong central bar bordered with blue depending on it's mood.