PDA

View Full Version : DriftWood Question

Caramon
03-03-2005, 04:07 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first post as I am new to the hobby.

My question is: I have some driftwoods found from a river but i don't dare to submerge them into my aquarium as I have read that they need some special process first(boiling etc). Well I searched through internet but i haven't found something clear. So if someone can describe me step by step the process I would be really greatfull.

Also i might submerge a ceramic amphora i have but i also don't know if it wants a special process as well.

Thanks for your help

korbi_doc
03-03-2005, 02:35 PM
:D Hi there Caramon & welcome to Simply Discus!!!! The driftwood question has been ongoing & you may find posts about it in the forum. Some of us clean the driftwood by soaking in a dilute solution of bleach in a barrel or trash barrel, then rinsing real well. When I started using it I was unsure what it would take & probably over killed with long term soaking. Now I just clean it well & soak it as above. You can also after the bleach treatment put it in the dishwasher (after cycling thru once or twice without detergent) if it'll fit & run thru cycles of hot water. When some pieces go in a tank, they will leach out tannins that'll color the water, this will not hurt the fish, but if you don't want this, then you'll need to soak it first for lots longer. I did this for 3-4 wks outside, but this is not really necessary. Have a go, don't overdue, but be sure the wood is rinsed well before going in a tank & you should do ok, good luck, Dottie :sun:

Caramon
03-04-2005, 06:49 AM
Ok m8 thanks a lot for your help. I also read the article in simplydiscus for driftwoods and i found also many valuable processes.

hexed
03-04-2005, 05:54 PM
All I usually do is baked it in the oven then boil on the stove. When it is cool enough to handle I put it in the tub and use a sponge with a scrubby side and wipe (scrub) the driftwood down then rinse. I never used any bleach so I will not dare try it, my discus cost me too much money for me to screw up with bleach :(