PDA

View Full Version : Buying Discus

ecrew
03-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Hi everyone!

I want to put 6 to 8 Discus in a 75 gal tank. I have the following questions concerning the size of Discus to buy.

1. Should I buy juvs? What do 6 to 8 juvs cost?
2. Can I buy 6 to 8 3 or 4inch Discus without spending a ton of money?
What would it cost?
3. Can I mix and match strains? I don't want to get all of the same strain.
4. Is it better to purchase two of the same kind of strain? In other words,
2 PB, 2 BD, 2 MR, etc... or does it matter?

We have 3 Stendker Discus right now that cost quiet a bit and I wasn't
sure whether or not I wanted to spend that kind of money on 6 to 8 of them.
BS - 3 in ($125.00), PB - 4 in ($59.99), BD - 4.5 in ($69.99).
I really don't want to pay roughly $600.00 for 6 to 8 Discus. I think that's a little much.

5. If I get juvs, what size?
6. Would the juvs do ok in a 75 gal or should they be in something smaller to start off with?
7. Could I get more than 8 juvs for my 75 gal? If so, how many and when, if ever, would I have to take some out?

Thanks,
Liz

Carol_Roberts
03-03-2005, 02:39 PM
1. Should I buy juvs? Sure What do 6 to 8 juvs cost? varies by quality of discus, size and type. I bet you could find 2 inch peppered pigeon bloods for $10 each
2. Can I buy 6 to 8 3 or 4inch Discus without spending a ton of money?yep
What would it cost? You need to contact sellers - all have leftovers they need to move out.
3. Can I mix and match strains? yes I don't want to get all of the same strain.
4. Is it better to purchase two of the same kind of strain? doesn't matter
5. If I get juvs, what size? 3 inch is good
6. Would the juvs do ok in a 75 gal or should they be in something smaller to start off with? IF discus are small (less than 3 inch) you can buy more (15-20) or start in 29 gallon tank.
7. Could I get more than 8 juvs for my 75 gal? yes If so, how many and when, if ever, would I have to take some out? 15-20 as they grow you would want to cull the football shaped, runty ones. by one year keep the 8 best.

IF you have a local hobbyist with too many babies you could buy 12 - 15 for $150 grow them out and maybe get a few nice ones.

or if you could buy 8 leftovers 3+ inch fish from an importer for $240 or maybe less. You need to ask yourself if you will be happy next year if the fish do not grow out as pretty or large as you had hoped . . . .

Best bet is to call around and talk to folks you'd be interested in buying from. Maybe someone is overstocked in pigeonbloods or red turks and will make you a deal.

RyanH
03-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Some of the sponsors here will frequently offer group specials. I've noticed Jeff Young doing this pretty regularly. I'd watch the Breeder/importer section for specials offered by the sponsors. You can get some really great deals there.

IMO, You will be happier in the long run if you spend a little more now and invest in good quality fish. However if you are unsure about your desire to get into Discus, buying a group of leftovers from somebody at a lower price may be the better option.

hth
-Ryan

ecrew
03-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks to you both for the advice!!!!

Carol, I think I know whal "cull" means, but could you explain further. Thanks!
Ryan, I do want quality Discus. We've bought Stendker Discus just because we
have an lfs who goes up to Hans shop, picks them out and brings them back.
They are well cared for in the lfs, but are quite expensive if you're considering buying a large group. I guess I can get juvs from Hans. Not sure yet. I haven't asked the lfs.

HTown Discus
03-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Liz, why don't you just goto Hans' yourself and pick them out? You would save a lot of money.

Carol_Roberts
03-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Cull = get rid of . . . either by giving away or killing . . .

ecrew
03-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Carol, I'm sure it's necessary, but that sounds awful. I guess i'm a little sensitive. :o
We had a tetra that was about dead and of course needed to be removed from the tank. My husband wasn't around so I had to get him out and flush him. That was a hard thing for me to do and it was just a little tetra. :o

HTown, I'm interested in different strains other than what Hans has advertised on his website. I've been looking at Cary's website and reading other's reviews of him on this website. I'm really interested in the yellow or gold based strains. The only thing i've been concerned about is mail ordering the Discus. My husband has enjoyed purchasing Han's Discus from our lfs because he feels those Discus have been acclimated to our water conditions. I guess if I mail order some, I would have to figure out how to acclimate them. Not sure about how to do that yet.

Thanks for the responses.

HTown Discus
03-04-2005, 10:46 AM
I guess if I mail order some, I would have to figure out how to acclimate them. Not sure about how to do that yet.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=42153

ecrew
03-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the link!