PDA

View Full Version : Discus is not coming out of hiding?

m500
03-09-2005, 10:11 AM
I just purchased my very first batch of young discus over the weekend. 2 blue diamond and 2 pigeon blood. My blue diamond seem to be doing well as they are coming out of hiding but both my pigeon blood is still hiding behind my water pump in the corner out of my view. What can I do to make these 2" yound discus come out of hiding?

dddd68sg
03-09-2005, 10:26 AM
I have the same problem also but got better. You may have to wait for around two weeks or more to let the fish get use to the new enviroment. Try to not to go too near to them so often. Discus are very timid fish. If they are eating well then not a problem. If not then you have to treat it ASAP. :)

Eddie
03-09-2005, 11:20 AM
M,
Your fish will come around. They are just settling in. Some fish get more comfortable sooner. Your Blue D's might end up being the more dominant discus in your tank. One thing that I would advise is to act normal around your tank. Sometimes if your overly cautious your fish will always be timid when your around the tank. Your gonna be moving around the tank and bumping into it when you do your water changes. When your fish get settled in they will be swimming around your hands and cleaning equipment. They will be fine. Just give it time. ;)

Carol_Roberts
03-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Your temp should be 86 and do daily water changes. Offer small amounts of food several times per day - alittle bit every time you come to the tank. Keep the uneaten food vacumed up. Watch them to make sure they are healthy. If you see strings of mucus hanging from the vent you will need to treat for intestinal flagelletes (see disease board - most common treatments thread.

Audrey
03-14-2005, 02:20 PM
I have heard both now: "Act normal around your tank of new discus", and "Observe from a distance at first"......so which is it????

Because I am getting my very first discus (babies) soon, and I have my heart set on parking a chair in front of their tank, only getting up to feed them or do a water change! :p

If you guys don't recommend the chair in front of their tank at first, guess I will break out the binoculars!!!

Audrey

aggie_67
03-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Welcome to the world of the internet where you will get advise from everyone. Lots of it good, some of it bad; but usually it is just that there is more than one way to raise discus.Until you are able to form your own theories on discus suggest you chose one person's method to follow, Can't go wrong with Carol Roberts!!!

Howie_W
03-14-2005, 09:41 PM
I have heard both now: "Act normal around your tank of new discus", and "Observe from a distance at first"......so which is it????

Because I am getting my very first discus (babies) soon, and I have my heart set on parking a chair in front of their tank, only getting up to feed them or do a water change! :p

If you guys don't recommend the chair in front of their tank at first, guess I will break out the binoculars!!!

Audrey

Audrey,

You should look forward to getting comfortable in that chair and enjoying your fish! http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/1218.gif

The one thing I think most would agree upon is that it's best to avoid sudden movements directly in front of the tank; i.e. no 50 yard dashes in front of the fish. http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/1277.gif The more time you spend with them, the sooner they will get use to you.

Howie

Eddie
03-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Audrey,
I put a chair in front of my tank a month before I even had my fish and that chair has been there since. From the time my Discus entered the tank and it will remain there until I move out of my house! :D

agave60
03-15-2005, 08:37 PM
I'm having the same problem. I brought my discus home last Monday and they're still acting very skittish and only one will eat. Hopefully they will feel more comfortable and eat by the two week mark.

discusrama
03-16-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi!

Give them some time to settle. Most discus do that in a new environment.
As carol says, keep a watch on the temperature and the pH.
And yes, i find that discus take time to adjusting to a new face peering at them!!!!

Have loads of fun. Cheers!!
Rama :bandana:

F8VRT-HBY
03-16-2005, 09:27 PM
I also have new discus. When I first got my dicus they were extremely skiddish. I have had them in the same tank for a little over a month and they are still sckidish, but they are getting better. They hide when i come in the room, but if i sit and watch for 10 plus minutes they will come out and swim and look at me, Its kind of cool rite now they only come out if its just me in the room. Kinda makes me feel special :)

The moral of my story is they get better with time and i wouldn't trade mine for the world