PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions

mattm025
03-11-2005, 02:53 AM
I've had a 55 gallon tank for around 3 and a half years now and just recently thought I should move on to my biggest passion, discus. Seeing how it's been in use now for 3.5 years, I would think its cycled. Here's my questions:

A few days ago I took out the sand at the bottom of the tank and put in polished stones. I also did a 50% water change at the same time. I was hoping to get five to six discus in the next few days. Will I have to wait again for the tank to re-cycle because of the sand and polished stone swith out?

I also have a Penguin 330 thats been in use since I bought the tank. Is that enough filtration for the discus? If not, what else do you recommend.

Heres a list of discus fish, that have my interest, my local fish store has:

Line pigeons 2" $29.99
Neon blues 2" $24.99
Blue diamonds 2" $24.99
Pigeon bloods 2" $19.99

Are those good prices? Would all those types do OK together as a group or no?

I also plan on feeding the discus Ocean Nutrition's Formula One every morning and switching off between Hikari's cichlid pellets and Wardley's tropical fish flakes each evening. Other info - Ph 7.0 and zero ammonia.

Here's what the setup looks like. What would be the easiest way to clean the bottom of the tank? Still syphon it the same way as I would with gravel or sand?

http://img137.exs.cx/img137/7708/tankpic9ik.jpg

Robin764
03-11-2005, 07:55 AM
Your bacteria you need should be in your filter media. Did you replace these as well?

I'm not familiar with the Penguin 300 filter, but if you have previously run it on your system with no problems, I would say it's fine. You can always add a sponge filter later if needed. I am running a Hydro V sponge filter and a Cyclone skimmer I didn't need so adapted it to a filter. Basically it's a hang-on cannister filter now...lol and my 90g sparkles:)

Those are good prices for 2 inch discus, but you would need to ask yourself some questions here. Do they look stunted? Are they colorful now, or just beginning to show colors? If they are colorful...they could have been hormone treated which will drastically shorten the life-span of your discus. I had one local pet store tell me that his 2 inch discus where as big as they get. They never grew while he was was there, so he assumed 2 inches was the biggest they could grow.
I would try one of the sponsers here first. I do know that Cary of Great Lakes Discus (Check banner at top of website) has some nice young discus that should be ready to go either this week or next. There are others as well...Dan from Gulf Coast...Tim and Eric from Carolina Discus. Also where are you located? I'm sure we could find a breeder near you, so that you may visit their hatcheries, if you wish to pick out fish in person. This would end the questions of what conditions the discus are in. If you go with the ones in your LFS, post pics as soon as you can....so folks can help you in case of any problems. Plus we like pics!!
Your discus choices should be fine as a group. Just remember that they are cichlids and there will be some bullying, and battles for pecking order.
If you are getting 2 inch juveniles, I would try to squeeze another feeding in there for optimum growth. Preferable something frozen like mysis shrimp, or bloodworms.
I use a python syphon when doing water changes on my tank...so I would assume it would work for your stones...you will just need to shove them around while cleaning to get the dirt from in between em.
It looks like a nice set-up to me. Get yourself a water-test kit to keep your eye on ammonia, nitrites/nitrates, etc. I would check it daily for awhile to make sure your water parameters are where you need them, and to let you know if you are doing enough water changes. Try to avoid all the additive things in your pet store like buffers, etc. If you are using tap water, just get some Prime, or aquaclear for de-chlorinating....otherwise keep it simple:)

Good luck, and welcome to the addiction!!
We've got you now!!!!

Robin

PaintballFan07
03-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Your tank should already be cycled if you are using the same filter media. How long has your tank been without fish? Your biological bacteria die if there is nothing for it to feed.
The prices are very good for 2" discus but do ask the lfs the questions Robin mentioned earlier. They will be fine kept together. As for filteration i think that would be enough but you could always add another HOB filter or sponge but the sponge filter wont look so neat in your tank because it is kinda big n bulky. You can never have to much filteration. Like Robin I also use a python. When syphoning make sure you do the best you can and try to get every single piece of food, waiste, and whatever else there is between and under the gravel. Juvy discus are very sensitive to ammonia spikes.Purchase a Master test kit and check ammonia levels regularly for ammonia. Check for ammonia after you syphon the tank just in case you could have stirred up wats below and inbetween the gravel and didnt pick up some of the nasties in there. Sometimes this may cause a ammonia spike. What you are feeding sounds ok but could you get ahold of frozen foods such as Frozen brine shrimp or frozen bloodworms? Alot of members make their own beefheart recipes on this forum and it is alot more nutritious for your discus than purchasing lfs sold frozen beef heart. To get the recipe check out the food and nutrition section of this forum. HTH

mattm025
03-11-2005, 03:24 PM
I would try one of the sponsers here first. I do know that Cary of Great Lakes Discus (Check banner at top of website) has some nice young discus that should be ready to go either this week or next. There are others as well...Dan from Gulf Coast...Tim and Eric from Carolina Discus. Also where are you located? I'm sure we could find a breeder near you, so that you may visit their hatcheries, if you wish to pick out fish in person. This would end the questions of what conditions the discus are in. If you go with the ones in your LFS, post pics as soon as you can....so folks can help you in case of any problems. Plus we like pics!!

I live in Cypress, CA - which is in Orange County and about 25-30 minutes from LA. I would much appreciate it if you could locate a local breeder near me. I was also thiking of ordering them and getting them sent to me but, I don't want to spend $85 to get the fish here. I really am looking for some red turquoise and cobalts. Iv'e also seen pictures of wild green X bluediamonds. I wouldn't mind getting a few of those. So if you could find a local breeder, I'd be really happy!

Oh yeah, I have 2 fish in my tank now to keep the filter cycle going. So I'm not worried about that. Also, would you mind getting me a link to see what exactly a sponge filter is. Especially the Hydro V because those seem the most popular and work great.

Howie_W
03-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi Matt and welcome to Simply! :)

If you are planning on growing out juveniles, you should considering removing the stones, leaving you with a barebottom set-up. This will make multiple feedings, and daily water changes and maintenance much easier, and avoid uneaten food and feces getting missed and fouling your tank.

I would also supplement the Penguin with a pair of Hydro sponges. In a 55gallon you don't have to go with the larger Hydro V. A pair of the smaller HydroIII's will work fine. Here's what the Hydro's look like;

http://petsolutions.com/images/200/12516106.jpg

The only thing you need to run them is an air pump, and some airline tubing, and optional airstone. By getting a pair you can alternate cleaning them on a daily basis.

As for your fish; health should be your number one priority. If you have confidence in your lfs, they go ahead and buy their fish. However, don't let a $70 freight cost stop you from having fish shipped to you...this is a minor cost compared to all the money wasted on poor quality fish, and the amount of time and energy you will invest into the hobby on a daily basis.

Howie

Alight
03-11-2005, 05:19 PM
There are probably several options for you in the LA area. I know only of this one http://www.discusfarm.us/ but I don't know anything about them. You can visit them and find out for yourself.

You might find more here, and also by looking at the breeders pages on the site.

http://www.aquaworldnet.com/dbws/

Good luck, and have fun!

Carol_Roberts
03-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Jeff Young from Discus Farm US has a banner at the top of this page. I have been happy with my orders from him. Go pick them out yourself and see his set up.

Get rid of the stones. They will trap all kinds of uneaten food and feces. It is best to grow out juveniles in a bare bottom tank with plenty of good food and lots of warm, clean, pH stable water.

mattm025
03-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Oh man, I just bought and put the stones in to. Can't take em back.

Carol_Roberts
03-11-2005, 08:50 PM
They would look nice in your garden ;)

Giniel
03-11-2005, 10:08 PM
When i changed my tanks i put all my gravel and stones in a garden and it makes it look very nice and if you run the python outside to the garden the rocks hold the moisture a lot longer than just dirt. And you get two thing s done you change tank water and water your flower garden.If you have to keep them put them in a clear container and put the plants in it , they can be removed for easy cleaning and still show off your rocks and plants.In this pic I put the plant in the bottom of the pot , very easy to clean .
Debbie