PDA

View Full Version : which med first for newbies

Eddie
03-11-2005, 09:24 PM
I just got ahold of a few discus from the LFS. They arrived this evening by plane and the choices were not good. I did purchase 2 small turqs and a blue something or other.They were dirt cheap and there is no picken and choosen out here in the Azores. Anyways, they are in there QT and I've added plenty of salt and the temp is high (88-90). These guys are moving about the tank fine but my concern is the 2 turqs seem to be quite emaciated. They have the whole sunken in sides. I saw a bit of stringy white poop coming from one. Now, would this be a good indication to start with metro as my first choice of medication?

PS I know I should be purchasing top grade fish and I would but it's simply not possible. You have no idea how hard it is to get nice fish here. Check this out, for 6 each medium size/small discus from Spain would run me about $500. How do like them apples?? No way jose.

Carol_Roberts
03-12-2005, 12:05 AM
Watch them for a couple of days. Try feeding bloodworms. If they do not eat and have mucus-like feces then yes, metronidazole is the medication to use.

Eddie
03-12-2005, 02:15 AM
Got it. Thanks Carol ;)

Howie_W
03-12-2005, 11:26 AM
I agree with Carol.

The tank does not need to stay salted...this is only for tank introduction to reduce stress.

Keep the temp. elevated and see how their appetites are. Blood worms are often the most readily accepted foods. If you can get them to eat pellet food intead even better, as it is easier on their digestive system with the higher temps. Make sure there is an ample supply of O2 in the tank. If the feces returns to normal than skip the meds. If you go the Metronidazole route remember that it is a full 2 week process.

Howie

Robin764
03-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Two weeks? Three days? I keep hearing different time frames for treating with metro. Starting to get confused...sheesh...2 weeks of metro at 400-500mg's/10gals is.......I don't think I can order a metro portion big enough lol...
I have treated for 3 days in the past...but I do have one fish that is not responding. Only thing I've seen him eat is the metro powder itself:/
He still has the slimey poop:(
Can you all post your successful metro treatment dosages and time frames here? Would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robin

Robin764
03-12-2005, 12:22 PM
lol...nevermind:) Nice articles on NADA site!

Thanks Carol

Robin

Carol_Roberts
03-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Glad you liked the website Robin. Here is the link again http://www.discusnada.org/ for anyone who missed it.

Eddie
03-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Today they are still moving about the tank. One of the turqs is a bit timid and still not attempting to eat. The other one is mouthing the bloodworms but spitting them out. The BD is eating. There is a problem with the BD though, his eyes are so dark/almost black and he seems to have a deformity. His right gill plate or cheek protrudes out. Is this something that will correct with proper care? He's a bit thin in the face as the other two.

Ammonia/nitrite/nitrates= 0
Temp= 90

Carol_Roberts
03-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Maybe . . . let them settle in for a week and watch them. Sometimes water changes alone will do the trick. I keep metro and formlin on hand for use when needed.

Eddie
03-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Okay Carol. Thanks.

Howie_W
03-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Today they are still moving about the tank. One of the turqs is a bit timid and still not attempting to eat. The other one is mouthing the bloodworms but spitting them out. The BD is eating. There is a problem with the BD though, his eyes are so dark/almost black and he seems to have a deformity. His right gill plate or cheek protrudes out. Is this something that will correct with proper care? He's a bit thin in the face as the other two.

Ammonia/nitrite/nitrates= 0
Temp= 90

It's unfortunate to bring home fish that are not perfectly healthy...often a very trying experience. Fresh clean water is your friend...and often your first defense. It sounds like the fish have suffered from being kept in poor water conditions, and internal parasites as a result. As Carol said, give them some time to acclimate, and see how they respond.

Howie

Howie_W
03-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Two weeks? Three days? I keep hearing different time frames for treating with metro. Starting to get confused...sheesh...2 weeks of metro at 400-500mg's/10gals is.......I don't think I can order a metro portion big enough lol...
I have treated for 3 days in the past...but I do have one fish that is not responding. Only thing I've seen him eat is the metro powder itself:/
He still has the slimey poop:(
Can you all post your successful metro treatment dosages and time frames here? Would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robin

Hi Robin,

In more serious cases (such as what you are indicating), I have had the most success with a full two week treament.

Keep in mind that Metronidazole lose it's effectiveness after 8 hours. My method is as follows;

20 gallon quarantine tank.
Week One: Temp: 92F. Turn up the airflow on tank to provide sufficent Oxygen. Metronidazole dossage: 400-500 mg per 10 gallons, every 8 hours for 5 days. Feed sparingly once a day. I try to feed only pellet foods as they are easier on the digestive system. Make sure tank stays clean at all times (keep feces and any uneaten food siphoned out). After last treatment I keep temp. up for two more days.

Week Two. Slowly reduce temp by one degree on a daily basis until you return to standard temp. Continue to feed sparingly.

Howie