PDA

View Full Version : 35 gal tank

asd159263
03-12-2005, 09:23 PM
I want to get a mated (breeding) pair of discus and put them into a 35 gal tank is that enough room for them and will they be okay with only the two of them. will the tank be okay for them to breed and live in? fry will be taken into another tank when they are big enough. but the original pair will stay together in this tank.

Carol_Roberts
03-12-2005, 09:34 PM
35 gallon is plenty big. Make sure it is bare bottom and you have a fully cycled, air driven sponge filter. Other types of filters suck in the fry.

asd159263
03-12-2005, 09:40 PM
will they be happy or just breeding machines, i hate seeing animals not happy. I was planning a bare bottom with plastic plants (either suction cup of led weight),

The reason i ask if they will be happy is that i heard they like to be in groups of 6 or 8. 2 is okay in a breeding tank but this will also be there permanent home.

I was also considering sand instead of bare bottom, since it also just let the waist sit at the top waiting to be sucked up?

what do you think?

btw thanks so much for the quick reply

Carol_Roberts
03-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Only juveniles need to be in groups. Adult pairs prefer to be in their own tank. An adult pair may do fine with sand and decorations, but you will find it next to impossible to keep a fry tank clean enough. If you intend to raise babies bare bottom is the way to go. A breeding cone in the only decoration a pair needs. Trust me, lots of clean water and live food are what makes discus happy. They could care less about the decorations.

asd159263
03-12-2005, 09:53 PM
wow, thanks so much. this is a great site.

Cosmo
03-13-2005, 12:21 AM
You'll find that plastic plants tend to collect a LOT of detritus that is virtually un-noticeable... until you brush one with the syphon tube, or, pull it out. The amount of yuck that is released into the water is unbelievable.

I tried the suction cup thing, and it will work, but I'v pulled all the plastic plants out of all of my tanks because they're impossible to keep clean..

Carol's right.. my fish don't seem to care a bit :)

Jim