PDA

View Full Version : Discus Color??

MFVionet
03-13-2005, 08:01 PM
I currently have one discus that I had purchased about 3 months ago. I feed it brine shrimp and blood worms 2-3 times a day (both frozen) and the water is at the correct levels to keep discus. But I can't seem to figure out why my discus hasn't shown it's color. It is suppose to be a Red Discus, but instead, it's color is a very pale orange. If anyone can explain to me why this is, please get back to me.

Carol_Roberts
03-13-2005, 09:11 PM
You need to feed red foods like tetra bits to enhance red color. Also color deepens as the fish matures.

Howie_W
03-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Hi MFVionet and welcome to Simply! :)

One of the great things about buying young Discus is watching their color slowly develop as they mature.

Many strains of Discus show very little color development until they begin to mature. In some strains, red can take the longest to fully develop. You can try foods like the tetrabits as Carol recommended to help bring out some of the color, or simply watch as the color develops over time.

Howie

Audrey
03-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Are those Tetra Color Bits okay to feed to all strains of Discus, or just the red strains?

Audrey

Carol_Roberts
03-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Tetra bits will make yellow fish orange - otherwise fine for all colors of discus