PDA

View Full Version : When to feed new fish

mattm025
03-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Just bought some discus and I was wondering when exactly to feed them. Usually new fish won't eat the first day or night, so I waited till last night to feed them and they didn't eat anything. I also tried to feed them this morning and they didn't eat. When will they start to eat? I don't want them dieing on me!!

Eddie
03-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Pump the temp up to about 88 and let them settle in. They will get hungary for sure.Feed foods like Frozen Bloodworms. Just feed them a small amount.
They will come around. ;)

Howie_W
03-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi Matt,

Sometimes fish can take days to become acclimated to their new home, while others are happy to start eating right away. This includes getting used to any and all movement outside the tank, and becoming used to their daily routine with you.

How many fish did you buy? Did you end-up removing the stones from your tank?

I agree with basshead on raising the tank to 88F for a few days. It may help if you find out from the place you purchased them what they were being fed. Bloodworms are one of the most readily accepted foods. Fish will also be most hungry in the morning. Feed sparingly to start, do not leave any uneaten food in the tank, and perform daily water changes.

Howie

ShinShin
03-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Sometimes age is a factor. I have had adult fish not eat for several days to a week after receiving. Young fish, however, if healthy seem to eat quickly. I have had them eat 10 minutes out of the bag.

mattm025
03-14-2005, 03:45 PM
I bought five discus - 2 red turqs, 2 blood pigeons, and a cobalt. I also decided to leave the stones in. Syphoning it isn't that much of a hassle. Thanks for the information guys, I really appreciate it!

mattm025
03-14-2005, 04:32 PM
I also just saw one of my blood pigeons pooping and it was brown and white. Could this mean it's sick or have a parasite?

Carol_Roberts
03-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Probably just upset stomach. . . .Sick discus poop looks like a long string of mucus.

mattm025
03-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Ok cool. I didn't think it was sick. It's not dark or hiding by itself anywhere. Looks like all five of the discus like each other, they don't leave each others side. :)

Northwestcoastdisc
03-16-2005, 01:48 PM
if ur discus hide , do not eat anything mean is they are sick, Start treatment metrodazole and raise temp at 90 or 94.

When the new discus arrival i would feed frozen hikari bloodworms.

Duncan

mattm025
03-17-2005, 12:15 AM
Theyve been eating for a few days now. Turned the heat up to 88, that's when they started eating.

Eddie
03-17-2005, 12:25 AM
Alright............thats what I like to hear. I'm glad they came around. I knew they would. ;)