PDA

View Full Version : UV Questions

Dave_S
03-16-2005, 01:44 AM
Hi
I have decided to add UV to my 80G planted/Discus tank. Can anyone advise on the model thay like best. Has anyone had problems with Turbo Twist? Also is ther a any problem if I get an over size unit? Can tank water be overexposed? It will be installed on the filter outlet.

Thank-you

peteypob
03-16-2005, 04:05 AM
Hi there Dave, I have a turbo twist 18watt on my 55gal palnted and lovin every bit of it. I think these are the most advanced UV's out there. As far as oversizing on the the UV its not a big concern, just make sure you have the right flow through it to do what you want it to do. I have heard of too much exposure having some effect on the micro or macro nutirents in the tank(not sure which one) but I havent noticed any effect on my plants. That is if you dose regularly. Coralife makes some of the best products out there and you will not regret the investment made on these UV sterillizers. Keep in mind that its your choice on running it 24/7 or just when your lights are on. Having the UV bulb turning off and on constantly will shorten the life of the bulb and have to replace it sooner than running it 24/7. These bulbs are NOT cheap, about $50 cheap :) . I have mine running 24/7 and doing just fine! HTH
-Pete

tag
03-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Hi Dave,

I also run an 18 watt turbo twist on my 125 gallon. I haven't had much luck at finding out what effect if any it makes to be running more than needed. I run mine 24/7 and have had no problems. This is my second UV sterilizer and I like the coralife TONS better than the other. The bulb does need to be replaced once a year. The nice part about the turbo twist is that it has a glass encasement around the bulb too which can be cleaned from time to time to keep the maximium UV available. Dave, I agree, regardless of your choices...flow rate is most important!! I finally got the right idea when I asked to see the flow of one they are running at my lfs, it was much slower than I imagined. Not a bad idea to see it first hand ;) . I think you'll find that UV use is still pretty unclear. I can say I wouldn't like to be without it.

Good luck with it.

Tina

Discusgeo2
03-16-2005, 06:44 PM
I don't know anything about the TurboTwist but the Turbo-Twist 6x: 18 watt, treats up to 250 gallon saltwater or freshwater aquariums.
To accommodate the Turbo-Twist 6X UV sterilizer, you will need a powerhead, pump or canster fliter that has a flow rate between 100 and 400 gallons per hour. It is recommended that a pre-filter be used with the pump to limit the amount of debris entering the sterilizer.

I have a Emperor Aquatics 40Watt on my 180 and it works great with my water flow at 314 GPh to control Protozoa outbreaks.

dishpanhands
03-16-2005, 08:41 PM
they say uv will cause the iron in the water to leave and plants need this badly so make sure you replace it

jesse
03-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Hello,

I'm using the powerclear 1000 and it is working great.
It is not expensive and the replace bulb is cheap.

Jess

Cosmo
03-16-2005, 11:10 PM
I have a turbo twist 6x (18watt) on my 180 that runs about 20/7... pushing the water thru it with a magnum w/ a micron filter in it... shut if off at feeding times only. Have a 9watt 3X on my 90 being pushed by an eheim 2215... and both units work great at keeping the water clear and the tanks free of algea. Planning on putting a 25watt pentair unit on the 180, the 18 watt on the 90, and the 9 watt off the sump to my hatchery... lots of work to do :)

In Degan Discus he states not to run it 24/7 cause it'll do such a good job of killing of the bad guys that the fish will not develop a strong enough immune system to fight off any infection it does pick up. Makes sense.

Jim

Dave_S
03-17-2005, 01:00 AM
Thanks everybody.
Look like Turbo-Twist has proven itself so I Just went out and got a 6X. My filter flows at 277GPM so the 6x look like a good match.

Thanks again.