PDA

View Full Version : Eheim Response on Ebo's

Cosmo
03-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Well,

Promised I'd write Eheim Tech Support to see if I could find out any information on why the new Jager heaters have the "do not submerge below this line" warning on them.. the response is as follows;

Dear Jim,
Thank you for your e-mail. Since EHEIM GmbH acquired JAGER GmbH in Germany we had to apply for a new UL certificate. In the mean time we cannot print that our heaters are submersible even if they are. We know this is a big concern to new JAGER and even old Ebo-Jager users. Hopefully we will have this settled soon.

It was signed by a member of the Eheim North America Support Team. It's interesting to note that even in the letter he did not (could not?) come out and say definitely that the heaters are fully submersible... (saying "even if they are" instead of saying "even though they are").

I suspect this is due to a legal issue but that is pure speculation on my part only.

Obviously, everyone needs to make the decision they feel is in the best interest of thier fish and themselves (yes.. in that order :D ) but I'll be keeping mine fully submerged... I'll let you know if I run into any problems..

hth

Jim

Eddie
03-18-2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks Jim,
I pretty much got the same response when I called thier customer support. I guess the whole process may take a long time. Years I was told. Thats a major issue. I for one will be a firm customer of the ebo's in the future. :D

Eddie

Cosmo
03-18-2005, 12:06 AM
You and me both Eddie :)

RyanH
03-18-2005, 12:27 AM
I haven't had any problems submerging mine.

RyanH
03-18-2005, 12:29 AM
OK, OK I admit it. I used this thread as an excuse to post pics. :p

But the new Ebo's are submergible whether they can legally say it on the box or not.

Eddie
03-18-2005, 12:36 AM
I'd say it was real good excuse. Nice fish Ryan! The set-up also. :thumbsup:

babyjess210
03-18-2005, 01:00 AM
Same here!!!
I have mine fully submerge for a few months now with no problems.
Kenny

GulfCoastDiscus
03-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Nice fish Ryan.

Some of my ebos has condensation inside.

Cosmo
03-18-2005, 10:13 AM
Beautiful Fish Ryan... and .. great demonstration that the ebo's are fully submersible... LOL

I like the way you elevated the hydro so the fish can get under it... GREAT idea. Did you simply add additional base extensions off multiple filters, or were you able to find/make/buy something that did the trick? Think I'm going to do that with the ones in my bigger tanks :)

Let us know bud :)

Jim

RyanH
03-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey Jim,

I simply buy extra steps for my hydros from my "secret source". LOL. :D :D

Don't tell anyone but www.kensfish.com sells all of the parts for hydros individually. IMO, this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I buy them buy the bushel. Plus, Ken is a good guy and I prefer to give my money to small business owners when I can.

After the sponge is fully cycled, I also remove the lift tube. I like to use the hydros soley for biological filtration and I rely on water changes and, to a lessor extent, my prefilters for mechanical. So by removing the lift tubes I get a slower flow and thus, less "icky stuff" in my sponges. :D IME, this also increases the efficiency of the bio-filter as water passes over the substrate where the nitrifying bacteria reside more slowly.

I add steps to the sponges as the fish get bigger so food doesn't get trapped under them. It also keeps me from going too crazy with my water changes as I don't like to drain the water lower than the tops of the sponges. :) So essentially, as my fish get larger, my water changes get a little smaller... because my sponges get taller. (I know, I'm insane. :p)

I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll get back to the subject at hand:

I've had water condensation in many of my Ebo's but this has never seemed to diminish performance. It may however, reduce the life expectancy of the heater as the internal components will likely corrode over time. Honestly, I haven't had the greatest luck with the new Jagers and I'm starting to experiment with other heaters.

My biggest problem with them has been their inability to keep a constant temperature; particularly when I need them to get up above 90 degrees F. I've also contacted Eheim with concerns and was told that they need to be calibrated from time to time. I explained the calibration process here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=42080

I was willing to throw caution to the wind recently and I bought a couple of Visi-Therm Stealth 200 watts. They have been a pleasant surprise for me as their performance has been rock solid so far. The glass is actually coated with plastic so they won't explode if exposed to air. The only thing missing from them is a light to indicate whether they are working or not. It's kind of irritating to not have that comforting, orange illuminescent glow telling me that all is well, when I look into my tank. Visi-Therm needs to strongly consider adding an LED to them and they would be perfect.

I'll shut up now. :D

-Ryan

PaintballFan07
03-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Jim, Im surprised that Eheim replied to your email so quickly. I sent and email to eheim tech. support concerning my wet/dry. It took them 3 weeks to respond to my email but they did give me some useful information but unfortanately my wet/dry still doesnt work like its supposed to. I fully submerge my ebo's. They have been submerged for about 2 weeks and I dont have a problem yet.

Cosmo
03-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Ryan, thanks for the info on the steps, but I think the least you could've done was told us who your secret source was :D It's not only food that gets under there either :p

Paintball.. don't tell anyone you got this from me, but..

Eheim Tech Support / North America 1-888-343-4662

The people I bought my wet/dry from gave me the number when I first got mine and had questions they couldn't answer.. this was about a year ago, so hope the numbers still good. If you don't get it running, PM me with what's happening and I'll see if I can help. Mine works perfectly... only had a problem once and it's been running over a year..

Jim

PaintballFan07
03-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Ryan, thanks for the info on the steps, but I think the least you could've done was told us who your secret source was :D It's not only food that gets under there either :p

Paintball.. don't tell anyone you got this from me, but..

Eheim Tech Support / North America 1-888-343-4662

The people I bought my wet/dry from gave me the number when I first got mine and had questions they couldn't answer.. this was about a year ago, so hope the numbers still good. If you don't get it running, PM me with what's happening and I'll see if I can help. Mine works perfectly... only had a problem once and it's been running over a year..

Jim
Thanks Jim, Im about to call them after lunch to see if they can help me fix my problem."They better"

Cosmo
03-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Was looking thru the Nov/04 issue of TFH and in the Holiday Product Showcase, there was an ad for the new Eheim Jager heaters. In the pic in the add was an obviously European model as it was listed for 220 - 240 volts and good for up to 300 litres. At the waterline are the words
"FULLY SUBMERSIBLE"

Guess there's no UL problem overseas :)

Jim

Discusgeo2
03-22-2005, 09:21 AM
So how are the new ones compared to the old Green ones which I still have. I have had to swith to the Jalli Titanium Heaters to get decents temperatures when needed.
Thanks
George

RyanH
03-22-2005, 01:19 PM
So how are the new ones compared to the old Green ones which I still have. I have had to swith to the Jalli Titanium Heaters to get decents temperatures when needed.
Thanks
George

Hey George,

There is absolutely no comparison. The old, green Ebo's IMO were the best glass heater to ever find it's way into my tanks. The new ones... um... not so much. :(

(Why did I sell them??!! Why??!! :cry: )

-Ryan

Cosmo
03-23-2005, 12:25 AM
Yup, there's no beating the old green ones.. still have one left.. it's in one of my storage tanks...

They were a pain to set the temp, but once you got it.. it stayed there. I have no problem getting good and steady temps out of my new ones either, but they do seem to run hotter than what I set them for :confused: Guess I should try out that new calibration do-hinky on top lol

Jim

lkleung007
03-23-2005, 02:22 AM
Hi Gang,

Thanks for the info. on the Ebo's.

Just a word of warning, I have purchased about 6 of the "new" Eheim Ebo's and like the ones before, 2 have already failed to keep the temp past 83F even though the temp was set as high as 90F. They have only been in my tanks for about a month. I guess I will be calling customer service.

Lester

BGTW
03-25-2005, 02:16 AM
Why bother submerging them?

It only makes them safer. When the contacts are out of the water, you don't risk putting your life on the line everytime you dip your hand in the tank?

JMO

Cosmo
03-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Hi Gang,

Thanks for the info. on the Ebo's.

Just a word of warning, I have purchased about 6 of the "new" Eheim Ebo's and like the ones before, 2 have already failed to keep the temp past 83F even though the temp was set as high as 90F. They have only been in my tanks for about a month. I guess I will be calling customer service.

Lester

Have you tried the reset button ?

Never had a problem keeping a tank up to heat with an ebo... right size heater for the tank?

Cosmo
03-25-2005, 08:32 AM
Why bother submerging them?

It only makes them safer. When the contacts are out of the water, you don't risk putting your life on the line everytime you dip your hand in the tank?

JMO

Orientation...

Many like to mount the heater horizontally near the bottom of the tank.. difficult to do w/o sumberging.. :D

Jim

Neil1_2
03-31-2005, 04:10 PM
NOT SUBMERSIBLE??? just came across this folks... http://arowanaclub.com/stories.php?story=05/03/13/6015493