PDA

View Full Version : My discus change colour frequently(Is thisnormal)

abhijeetbadrike
03-18-2005, 06:28 AM
I recently got three discus' from my friend. I think there are the turquoise species but i'm not sure(These are my first discus).Usually they are light brown in colour but 4-5 times a day they turn totally black. They just alternate between their light brown and black colour. I would like to know if this is normal or are my discus sick. I will try to post some of their pics in a few days. Till then please help me guys.[

Howie_W
03-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Hello and welcome to Simply! :)

Please let us know some basics about your set-up;

Tank size, temp., ammonia, nitrates, total number of fish in your tank. Are their appetites normal, and feces looking okay (dark and oval shaped vs. white/stingy/worm-like)?

In general, Discus turning dark is a sign of sickness. Perform daily 50% water changes and see how the fish respond.

Howie

abhijeetbadrike
03-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Hey my tank is 1.5 ft in length, 1 ft each in height and breadth. I keep the tank temperature a little higher than room temperature. Well i dont know the amount of ammonia and nitrates in the tank as i got my tank last week i still have to buy that kit. I have put 3 discus' in the tank who are a little less than 2 inch in length. Well their faeces are dark but i didnt get you by oval, well they are sort of elongated. They are eating OK but i really dont know how much is Ok i just had them for a week. I feed them tetra bits,beefheart and bloodworms. I'll try to post their pics in a few days or i'll mail u those.

funkyfish
03-18-2005, 02:46 PM
temp for discus should be around 86 how did u cycle the tank what kind of filter

ecrew
03-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Hi!!

Ammonia and Nitrites should be 0 and you should strive to keep your Nitrates at 5 or less. Some folks keep there's between 5 and 10. Anyway, funkyfish is right. The temp should be 86 or maybe higher, like 88. Also, the tank sounds a little small, but then again, the Discus are small as well. Maybe someone else can comment on whether or not the tank is a good size.

What kind of filtration do you have (power filter, canister, sponge etc...)? Did the
Discus act the same way in their previous home?

Let us know. :)
Liz

Howie_W
03-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Hey my tank is 1.5 ft in length, 1 ft each in height and breadth. I keep the tank temperature a little higher than room temperature. Well i dont know the amount of ammonia and nitrates in the tank as i got my tank last week i still have to buy that kit. I have put 3 discus' in the tank who are a little less than 2 inch in length. Well their faeces are dark but i didnt get you by oval, well they are sort of elongated. They are eating OK but i really dont know how much is Ok i just had them for a week. I feed them tetra bits,beefheart and bloodworms. I'll try to post their pics in a few days or i'll mail u those.

A couple basic problems going on here;

Your tank size is much too small for Discus. Small size juveniles can be kept in smaller gallon tanks for a short period of time. You should plan on moving your fish to a bare bottom tank that is at least twice the size of the one you are using. After a short period of time they will need to be moved to a much larger tank.

In all likelihood, it sounds like your fish are suffering from poor water quality, and a tank that is not fully cycled.

Please check your PM when you have a moment.

Howie

Carol_Roberts
03-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Your temperature need to be 30c. and ammonia and nitrItes should be zero