PDA

View Full Version : High Fin Boxer Discus??

cord
03-19-2005, 05:13 PM
Hello Everyone,

Can some one let me know what the proper name is for high fin boxer discus? Or post a few pictures of them. At a local store this is the name they called some of their discus. It is a asian aquarium store and these discus look great. They are juvenilles and I am not sure what they look like when they become adults. I am interested in purchasing a few but I cannot find info or photos on the net on this strain. Any info would help.

Thanks for your help!

Cosmo
03-19-2005, 07:49 PM
Cord,

Personally I've never heard of the strain.. doesn't mean there isn't any such thing though... I guess. It's not uncommon however for sellers to give fancy names to fish to help sell them. How big are they, and what do they look like now? What did the seller tell you it would look like?

If you really like the fish, does it really matter what the propper name is? Unless, of course, they are asking a premium price for it. :)
Jim

cord
03-19-2005, 11:10 PM
I also think the name is a slang name. Maybe a asian name or something. I am just interested in what they look like when full grown. I could not find no info on the internet. I thought someone may know on the forum. They are only 2 to 2 1/2 inches. I know whan a hi fin hi body is but not a boxer? Thanks for your reply.

Cord

Carol_Roberts
03-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Could it be a high fin Bulldog instead of Boxer?

JimmyL
03-20-2005, 12:49 AM
A bulldog cannot be found in a LFS. Only one broker in Penang has the exclusive rights to sell them to other brokers. Can't be bought directly from a breeder. Not a common fish. Boxer is the F2 corss from one of the bulldog parent. Boxer is any fish with an egg shape with special diet at juvenile stage. The pic. is a Red Hi body Hi fin SS. Not a bulldog. Some breeders bought the genes of this type of fish and create a new name "Boxer".
Jimmy.

JimmyL
03-20-2005, 01:19 AM
It's the muscular body with a big head gives them the name.

korbi_doc
03-20-2005, 10:53 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: By gosh, I knew Jimmy would know that one!! Love your fish Jimmy & still remember the "bulldogs" you showed us before!! I would still love to have some of these fish someday, lol, :fish: Dottie

cord
03-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Do these boxer discus do fine with RSG, Red & Blue Turquois since they are a bite beafer when they become adults? I have six juvenilles now around 2 1/2inches. These boxers at the LFS are the same size if not a little smaller. If no problems I think I will add one to my tank.

Thanks for your help everyone!!

Cord

korbi_doc
03-20-2005, 06:26 PM
:shocked2: :shocked2: Cord, please don't just add another fish; you need to quarantine any new ones 1st for 5-6 wks to be sure you won't start a problem & lose'm all....It may be better to get 4-6 & QT them until you can put'm together. JMO, Dottie :scared:

cord
03-20-2005, 09:06 PM
Do not worry I plan to quarantine the discus first in a seperate tank if I decide to purchase one or two.

Thanks for your concern though!
Cord

JimmyL
03-21-2005, 09:04 AM
I see you're located in St. C. The LFS do have what they called Boxer. They came from my Bulldog cross. I don't sell discus . I gave some away to a breeder who is producing and now selling the F2 grade B or C to the stores. That his own version of a bulldog cross since the name "Bulldog" is not accepted by novice hobbyists and he just change the name to "boxer". You can't find this name being used anywhere else. A true bulldog do not have too many strains. Only Cobalt blue and recently Blue Diamond only. No pigeon or spotted. But..... always a but... I've shown my Blue Diamond Bulldog in this forum many years ago. We are far ahead of the Asian in this area. I have spotted leopard bulldogs already and now the Red White. Just stay tune and you will be the first to see them. The discus world may see one the first of N. Amereica's Bulldog in Aquarama his year. Decision will be made soon cause it's a one way ticket to hell for the fish.
Jimmy

QUINGUYEN
03-21-2005, 11:34 PM
Hi Jimmy,can i call this one San Bulldog or Red Dog ??

QUINGUYEN
03-21-2005, 11:35 PM
one more

JimmyL
03-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Sorry, You cannot call the San Bulldog. Even brothers and sisters from the same brood of a bulldog pair cannot be called with the same name. They have their distinguish features and standards. Bulldogs has only 2 commonly recognized strains which are 5 bar Cobalt and recently Blue Diamond. The grade "C" of the same brood are hifin hibody or egg shape discus only worth 30% of the Bulldogs. But they can easily be champion of their category.

The Pic. below is not even a bulldog. Just Hifin Hibody eventhough he has a bulldog genes in him. He is lacking the distinguish protruding snout of a bulldog that's what novice hobbyist referred or called deformaities. This one is just a Grade "C" bulldog or boxer will be more appropriate. Can't classify as bulldog. A reject of that class of fish.
Jimmy

GEM
03-22-2005, 12:05 PM
o my give me all the rejects :D :D :D

gordon