PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Gloves.

alpine
03-19-2005, 08:41 PM
I just ordered some rubber gloves about elbow lenght . I am afraid to get some chemicals(auto mechanic) in the water while I am working on tanks.
has anyone used this gloves ? I figure i would rinse after each use, have three tanks so I guess I should not even think about worrying of problems with contamination from tank to tank..because it would be imposible to contain.

Any input would be appreciated .
Thanks,
roberto.
Still cycling.....

Cosmo
03-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Roberto,

I've come close to ordering some of those in the drs foster/smith catalogue many times, and was in fact just thinking about it again yesterday, and, looking for some at the grocery store today :o If you're tank isn't so deep the water would go above them I think they're a good idea, especially considering your job... I always wash my hands and arms before reaching into the tank but always wonder if I missed something, did I get all the soap off, etc..

Would probably be a good idea to sanitize them before going from tank to tank though and I'm not completely sure how you'd do that.. maybe someone else can answer that part of it.

At the very least I'd let them dry thoroughly before moving to another tank.. in fact, three pair would probably be better but I don't they're cheap :(

hth some
Jim

alpine
03-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Jim, I have really given up the idea I can contain contamination between my three tanks, be it by gloves, hands, nets ,refilling hoses , etc.
Glad to hear others have considered those tall gloves too....

roberto.

Cosmo
03-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Roberto,

It can be troublesome keeping separate this that and the other thing for each tank. Particularly when they are very near to each other. Problem is, if something does develop in one tank and spreads to all the tanks you'll become a believer after the fact... which isn't a fun position to be in.

Don't give up, just try and find a solution that offers you some measure of protection that isn't overly burdensome. For example, if you're going to use common nets, soak them in a bacteriacidal solution in between (meth blue / net soak perhaps).. on the hoses, use different syphon tubes but the same hoses.. things like that..

I think the gloves are a great idea.. let me know how they work, maybe that'll get me motivated to finally order some too :)

Jim

Carol_Roberts
03-20-2005, 12:22 AM
peroxide, rubbing alcohol, net soak, all will work. If all three tanks are healthy and you've had them up and running with no cahnges for several months I would not worry too much about cross contamination. New fish in a quarantine tank are a whole 'nuther matter . . .

Howie_W
03-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi Roberto,

I use the standard latex lab gloves...you can purchase them through any lab supplies store. The Diamond grip ones I have come a hundred pair to a box. They are the standard wrist length gloves, work fine for most applications, and one box will last a long time. The elbow length ones are a bit cumbersome and I've never had any great need for them.

Howie

korbi_doc
03-20-2005, 11:00 AM
:D I just wash my hands well between tanks, they've been long set-up. If I think there's a problem, I rinse them with either alcohol, or a virucidal solution that you can get from most fish places.. alcohol is just fine & easy. As Carol says QT is a whole other matter, everything should be isolated, JMO, Dottie :cool:

ecrew
03-20-2005, 05:47 PM
I purchased the elbow length rubber gloves in the grocery store. They come two pair to a pack. The reason I did it was because my hands were turning raw when I did w/c. They would itch and burn terribly. Nothing but Destin would sooth them. I wasn't sure what was causing the reaction. Anyway, I use the gloves to keep my hands safe.

alpine
03-20-2005, 06:43 PM
ecrew, what do you do to store them and keep them clean ?

thanks,
roberto.

jkeithh1969
03-20-2005, 07:51 PM
I purchased the elbow length rubber gloves in the grocery store. They come two pair to a pack. The reason I did it was because my hands were turning raw when I did w/c. They would itch and burn terribly. Nothing but Destin would sooth them. I wasn't sure what was causing the reaction. Anyway, I use the gloves to keep my hands safe.

I find that I am having that reaction after feeding frozen bloodworms I have been wondering what kind of gloves to get. Was not sure if I could use the regular ones from the grocery store or not, but it looks like I can if you are using them.

ecrew
03-21-2005, 10:53 AM
alpine, currently i'm not doing anything to clean them after each use. I didn't really think about it but I guess I should be doing so. I usually just lay them on a towel to dry.

jkeithh1969, I didn't know what was going on with my hands. It was horrible. They itched and burned and nothing would sooth them. I finally realized that it was from doing w/c. At first I thought it was algae. We had an algae problem in one of our tanks and I was trying to clean it. Afterward, I had the reaction. I'm not so sure it's aglae that causes my problem. We do feed frozen bloodworms too so it's possible they are the culprit. Anyway, the rubber gloves work just fine! :)

alpine
03-21-2005, 06:53 PM
I figure after use I might just rinse them and I guess place them on a towel to dry like you do.

roberto.

ecrew
03-22-2005, 09:55 AM
roberto,

I guess if you're using the same gloves for all tanks, then you may need to have a different pair for each or clean them after each use. At this time, I'm using the same pair for 2 tanks which I know is not good. I'm trying to get my 75 set up so i'll more than likely get more gloves because I really don't want to have to clean them after each use.

Carol talked about how to clean them in an earlier post. I think she was referring to when you have a sickness in one tank and prevention of spreading the sickness to other tanks.

Liz

tag
03-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Hey Alpine,

I just posted under "hand lotion" under the general section.

Check it out, I use full length sleeve gloves and love them!!!

Wouldn't be without them anymore. Don't have to worry about transfer to the fish or have to worry about transfer from the fish if I have a small cut or something.

Tina