PDA

View Full Version : Carbon OK or Not ???

cord
03-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Hello Everyone,

I currently have a fluval 404 running on my discus tank. I have peat pellets on one level, 2 levels bio porceline rings, and one level of carbon. Is it ok for me to be running carbon on the 4th level or not? I have read both ways. I plan to change the carbon every one to two months. If I should eliminate the carbon what should I replace on that level then?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Cord

sidra
03-20-2005, 01:42 PM
I no longer run carbon in my filter. (unless I'm trying to remove medications).

Someone here correct me if I'm wrong, but carbon removes trace minerals which your discus need.

If your tank is established and fully cycled, you shouldn't need the carbon.

In my filter I have the ceramic "noodles" and Ehfifix (looks like thick easter basket grass) for mechanical filtration, then substrate and then fine pads. It's working really well.

RyanH
03-20-2005, 02:24 PM
The other problem with carbon is that is tends to "dump" all of the things that it takes out of the water right back in after a certain period of time. When this is exactly is absolutely uncertain. What is certain is that your fish can be exposed to large doses of harmful products in a very short period of time.

I always recommend that you rely on your water changes and leave the carbon out of your filter. The filter space will better serve you if filled with ceramic noodles, sponges, or floss to allow for more nitrifying bacteria.

It's a good idea to keep your carbon around just in case you need to quickly remove meds.

Also, since you are running a canister, it would probably be a good idea to have a sponge filter running in your tank as well. If you lose power and your canister sits for any length of time, your bacteria will quickly die and when turned back on your fish will be poisoned.

Finally, keep that canister clean!! They hide nicely under your tank and are easily forgotten. These things get filthy in a very big hurry. I never use them anymore because they are such a nightmare to maintain. Be sure to clean it regularly or you will have problems.

hth!

-Ryan

ecrew
03-20-2005, 05:42 PM
I've read that carbon keeps the water clear. I also read that w/c will keep the water clear. Any comments?

aggie_67
03-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Reasonably sure that carbon does not dump the impurities back into the water. Not saying it's good; it probably does absorb some of the good ingredients. I don't use it but it is exceptionally hard to get activated carbon to release the impurities it has absorbed. Takes over a thousand degree F to regenerate activated carbon..

Cosmo
03-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Cord,

Hopefully you're cleaning your cannister more often than once every month or two :confused: I've read the same article Aggie did, and, I've read others that contradict it so I suspect this question will keep going around and around for awhile..

Remember too there are different types and different grades of carbon, all carbons are not created equal. Some hi end carbons claim they don't remove trace elements so quite possibly they don't. Some of the less expensive carbons leach phosphates and such the minute you put them in.. not sure what the fluval uses in their pre packed pouches.. Regardless though, I think a month or two is too long... either it will leach, or, it will be doing nothing for you after awhile - no way you'll know..

I've found a good regimen of WC's is all you need to keep the water quality where you want it.. if you want the polished look, pickup a HOT magnum with a polishing filter and you get pretty much the same effect. I used to use tons of Chemi-Pure but to be honest, don't notice much of a difference when it's in or when it's not..

Then there's the issue of Lateral Line Disease which many believe is either linked to or exaserbated ( I know I spelled that one wrong) by the use of carbon.

If you use it, replace it more often. Don't rely on it to replace WC's. You really would be better off though using that space for additional bio media..

Jim

cord
03-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks everyone for your info on carbon. I had read lots about carbon leaching into tank if not changed often. Also read about carbon pulling out beneficial trace elements of the water which can lead to lateral line disease in discus. I think I will replace my carbon with some other sort of bio media or floss for my discus.

About my fluval 404 I have been using my fluval for two years now on my 90 gallon. Have had no problem with it. My jardini arowana, green severum & datnoide (siamese tiger fish) looked excellent and water conditions always measured good. I plan to keep it in my discus tank until I find problems with it.

Thanks again everyone! I know this carbon topic can raise some controversy. But I do not want to risk giving my discus any diseases so I had to ask.

Cord

Cosmo
03-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Hey Cord.. always ask, best thing to do :)

I have a question to pose now, cause I'm thinking arowana and severums are probably not good matchups for Discus tankmates..

I'm thinking not, but I've never tried it so I'm wondering if anyone else could address that?

Jim

cord
03-21-2005, 11:39 AM
I would not reccomend mixing them. I traded in my 2 year old arowana and green severum to get into the world of discus. They were great fish! I have heard and read about many people who have mixed asian arowanas with discus. I would not suggest it though. Arowana as they get older tend to become territorial. If you have several arowanas in a community tank with discus it may work.

Cord