PDA

View Full Version : Filtration. More?

Tiptoptank
03-21-2005, 05:16 PM
I have a 55 gallon planted tank which I wouls like to have discus in. THe only thing that worrys me is the little particals in the water. It seems like there are tiny particals everywere in the water. Will the discus be ok in the tank or will more filtration be needed?

I run a 304 with bioballs, ceramic, and foam.
ammonia 0
nitarte 3
temp 82
Gh 4
Kh 4.5
CO2 15-25 thought the day
20% w/c twice a week
I add iron eveyother day
trace twice a week
1 SAE
1 otto
1 cory cat
2 culli loaches
2 gost shrimp
2 snails

plant:
Anubus, Java fern, tropical sunset, cabomba red, riccia, micro sword, amazon, onion grass..etc

I was thinking about adding a Hot magnum to the mix and or a ehiem with just blue and white filter pads. Would this be over kill or can I feel fine that my discus will be ok in the water now. THe particals are really small, I mean you have to be about a foot from the tank to seee them

Don_Lee
03-21-2005, 06:00 PM
I would not assume that the particles in the water indicate any potentially damaging water quaity issues. The parameters you give seem quite good....really I think the particles are aesthetic. If you would rather look at a very clear tank, then you might try a HOT magnum with the special clarifying filter they have available. If the 304 is not removing the particles, I doubt an Eheim would UNLESS the media are more efficient. IF this were the case, you might consider changing your media in the 304 more often and/or trying some other type of foam that would screen out the particles better. If it were me, that is the direction I would go from what you have said about your tank.

Don:)

Cosmo
03-21-2005, 07:57 PM
From my experience, the Eheims do a great job at biological filtration and keep the water relatively clean. They are not water polishers as are the magnums with the polishing filter installed..

Jim

Darrell Ward
03-22-2005, 03:40 AM
You could get some cut to fit micron rated filter pads for your filter to "polish" the water. The only thing is, they clog easily, so they must be cleaned more often.

GEM
03-22-2005, 12:21 PM
I WOULD DO MORE W/C SAY EVERY OTHER DAY

GORDON

Darrell Ward
03-23-2005, 01:15 AM
[QUOTE=GEM]I WOULD DO MORE W/C SAY EVERY OTHER DAY

Yeah, a good idea with only a 55g. planted tank. It's hard to keep "nasty" levels down anyway with discus in smaller tanks, unless you make lots of water changes. The levels seem to be pretty good though. I'm impressed. It's not that easy in a 55. :) I've read that you can have large bacteria blooms, and without enough food for the bacteria, great numbers die off, leaving them in the water column. It's said the tank clears up on its own. It's never happened to me though.

jdellman
03-23-2005, 01:32 AM
I agree with the HOT magnum suggestions. I got mine because of the small particles you mentioned, and it does a great job clearing the tank of those.

Tiptoptank
03-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Thats goods to hear. I think I will have to go get a HOT magnum. THey are only like 60 bucks here.