PDA

View Full Version : 180 plywood/glass tank

dirk50merc
03-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Allright I have researched it read some great articles and think I'm ready to do it, a fully planted 180g diy tank 18" x 24" x 96". I am planning on using fiber glass body tape and filler in all corners and edge to edge contact. I am considering 1/4 saftey glass for 18" tall or 3/8" saftey for 24" tall.

What are experiences with tanks 24" tall or should I consider 24" wide 18" tall?

Is saftey glass a better material for this than plate glass?

I have reda that stands need to have solid bottoms can you use insulation board or styrofoam between tank and stand?

How far appart should cross members of stand be (support beam under the solid surface of stand)?

Any other thought or experiences that can be shared is appriciated

Thanks for any help or advice, :confused: Dirk

Moon
03-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Mine is a 100g, 48X24X18 high. I used Epoxy paint about 5 coats. The tank is supported on a 2X4 frame on concrete blocks. I have a centre braise on the frame. I used solid styrofoam in between the tank and frame. No solid support. It's been up for about 18 months and holding firm.
I used 1/4 plate glass. The glass sits inside the opening I made on one of the sides. I used silicone on the inside only and did not realise wood tends to flex a little under pressure and because of this a tiny leak developed. I drained the tank and sealed the outside as well and fixed the leak.
Good luck with your project.

fishies
03-25-2005, 10:47 PM
I built a 180 2 years ago. I used 1/2" tempered glass just to play it safe. worked great. My stand that i built was made out of 2x4s with 2 center suports to spread the weight. i put 1/4' sill seal to albsorb the pressure points between the tank and the stand. i made it the standard size. I believe it is 6'x2'x25". I know the 6'x2' is wright but i am guessing on the heigth. I modeled it off of an all-glass tank. Sence then i bought a all-glass tank just for the overflowes. wish i would have been thinking when i had the botom made for the homade tank. It is so nice not seeing any of the filters or heater.

aggie_67
03-26-2005, 12:49 PM
fishies, don't understand your comment:

wish i would have been thinking when i had the botom made for the homade tank. It is so nice not seeing any of the filters or heater.

dirk50merc
03-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Yup think i'm goimg to do it overall tank cost $250 vs $587 for a store bought.

*Moon- thanks, do you think two thick beads of silicone .5"+ with an outer bead (glass to edge of wood) would do the trick? I think I will do 18" tall 24" wide 96" long to keep cost in check

I plan on making my light out of 2 flourex 65 w compact flourecents has anyone used these lights? they have great luminens per watt ratio burn way cooler than HIDs and would be easy to house in a small hood w/o a fan

Can anyone email some pictures of their DIY tanks?

Thanks for all the help, Dirk

Moon
03-28-2005, 11:22 PM
My silicone beads are about an inch thick. Half inch on each side. On the out side it is only about half inch. This will ensure that any flexing of the wood is taken care of.

dirk50merc
03-29-2005, 04:34 PM
WOW that's alot of screws! Started today, this project has taken on alife of it's own: 96" long (actually 84" interior with a foot cabinet on end for my canister, hoses, and cords) x24" x24". this is going to be one big bad aquarium. Actual gallons are going to be 210 gallons.

Ill keep everyone updated,
Dirk

Moon
03-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Did you use stainless steel screws and waterproof wood glue?

dirk50merc
03-30-2005, 03:19 PM
used heavy duty water proof liquid nails, exterior grade wood screws (rust proof) and today I am using fiber glass ribon and body filler/sealler to seal all corners and edges with, maybe overkill but thats the way I typically do things. If you want I can email some pictures of my progress

Thanks for your advice, Dirk

Moon
04-01-2005, 01:25 PM
How about posting some pics here of your work in progress?

dirk50merc
04-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Moon, I'm guessing I'm more technically challanged than I thought. I have tried a couple of times to post with out any success. I wasn't shure if jr. members can post pictures? If so I could really use some help.

Thanks, Dirk

Moon
04-01-2005, 05:17 PM
I am the same. I am photographically challenged. So I don't even try.

dirk50merc
04-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Moon I got it finally, here is where the project is at know :o [IMG]

dirk50merc
04-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Still need to finish the exterior and add glass :o [IMG]

Moon
04-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Nice work Dirk. Just need a nice finish on the outside.
A few questions
What type of paint did you use on the inside?
Did you silicone the joints?
What type of filtration? If it is wet/dry you might need to drill holes.
Joe

wall_o_fish
04-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Nice looking tank! I like the curved corners on the window.

You know, this is funny, but i once wrote a quite detailed article for Simply about plywood tank construction. I wonder what happened to it. Any ideas, Al?

In response to the questions just asked, I'll say what I did for my 150 gal plywood tank:

What type of paint did you use on the inside?

I've had good success with a two-part epoxy paint from aquaticeco.com. It's expensive and requires extensive ventilation, but it's good stuff.

I used silicone on only the glass seal. The joints on my tank were sealed with waterproof Liquid Nails, screws, and then once the joint set up I fiberglassed it with two layers of fiberglass strips. Watertight!

What type of filtration? If it is wet/dry you might need to drill holes.

Just like the tank pictured above, I worked a wet/dry into mine at one end. i used an overflow device to move the water so I wouldn't have to drill the plywood.

Hope that helps. If anyone wants a copy of the Word document I wrote the article as originally, drop me an email: sdtaylor@141.com.

scott

wall_o_fish
04-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Yup think i'm goimg to do it overall tank cost $250 vs $587 for a store bought.

*Moon- thanks, do you think two thick beads of silicone .5"+ with an outer bead (glass to edge of wood) would do the trick? I think I will do 18" tall 24" wide 96" long to keep cost in check

I plan on making my light out of 2 flourex 65 w compact flourecents has anyone used these lights? they have great luminens per watt ratio burn way cooler than HIDs and would be easy to house in a small hood w/o a fan

Can anyone email some pictures of their DIY tanks?

Thanks for all the help, Dirk

Here's a pic of my tank. Drop me a message if you want a Word doc on how I made it.

JeffreyRichard
04-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Nice looking tank! I like the curved corners on the window.

You know, this is funny, but i once wrote a quite detailed article for Simply about plywood tank construction. I wonder what happened to it. Any ideas, Al?

I used silicone on only the glass seal. The joints on my tank were sealed with waterproof Liquid Nails, screws, and then once the joint set up I fiberglassed it with two layers of fiberglass strips. Watertight!

Hope that helps. If anyone wants a copy of the Word document I wrote the article as originally, drop me an email: sdtaylor@141.com.

scott

I have built plywood tanks twice ... once (1st) a 240 gallon (96x24x24) and the second 120 gallon (48x24x24). Each time the seams along the bottom separated so water seaped out and eventually caused the wood to rot. I too used epoxy paint, screws to connect the plywood pieces, but regular wood glue (not liquid nails) to glue the seams. I even added some bracing on the bottom seam (2x2 wood stripping screwed into both sides of the seam), but it appears the water pressure was enough to cause a split in the epoxt paint at the bottom seam. Will fiberglass along the seam fix that?

Also, does anyone know how thick a piece of acrylic I need to support 240 gallons (24 inches in hieght)?

Thanks

Moon
04-28-2005, 12:01 PM
I too used two part epoxy to seal the inside of the tank. I also siliconed all the joints. I am sure fibreglass will provide added strength to the joints. My tank also sprung a small leak from the glass wood interphase. This is because wood tends to flex under pressure. I applied a bead of silicone to the outside of the glass joint and cured the problem.The plywood used was exterior grade and waterproof glue. The tank has been in service for about 18 months with no problems.
I do have a question. Is it safe to add a large Pleco to this tank? I have some concerns about the scratching ability of the Pleco and it's effect on the epoxy paint.

dirk50merc
04-28-2005, 07:21 PM
OK OK OK,

Moon- no holes, if you notice to the left of the tank,m 1' cabinet section, has a 2" relief (hidden see pictures to follow) this section is wide enough to accomidate 2 hot mag along with a large canister filter. Kind of unorthodox it's an easy way for to use two established filters from start up, and I had always planned on a big ehiem canister.

Scott thanks not done yet though. And no it's not actually that funny my kudos to you as I have based my tank on your article if it was a term paper I would site you and GARF as my sources but mostly yours ideas, including the fiber glassed joints, thats alot of messy work glad its done.

I have also used the same paint scott used from AES good stuff in addition I have clear to coat the out side and overcoat all the blue so the wood will be completely coated with Epoxy.

The other point scott made abudantly clear is the top bracing I have tied all but one into the tank in the same manner as the all the other joints, the last goes in after the glass 3/8" saftey glass

Scott curious to hear your thoughts on the top braces, think they will be sufficant each is 12" wide see pictures

Thanks for all the input,
Dirk

Detail of relief[IMG]

dirk50merc
04-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Detail of cabinet[IMG]

dirk50merc
04-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Top detail[IMG]

dirk50merc
04-28-2005, 07:28 PM
top detail overveiw[IMG]

wall_o_fish
04-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Dirk --

the braces look pretty sturdy to me. I think the main thing is that they're fixed and that they're frequent (not much free plywood between them. It looks like both are present in your tank. :-)

I found that earlier article. I couldn't find it at simplydiscus, but it was still at simply cichlids.

http://www.simplycichlids.com/forum/index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=236

Good luck ya'll.

top detail overveiw[IMG]