PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me on peat moss or ro

nimo69
03-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Is it better to buy a RO System ? Why? Which one and how much is it? I want to make sure my ph is always the same ? Discus buffer which one is good ? Or peat moss ? Please help on these topics

New to discus :)
rookie Nimo69 :) :)

Moon
03-25-2005, 08:00 PM
RO water is needed only for breeding discus. If you are raising juvies tap water is fine as long as it is treated for Chorines and Chloramines. My water comes out of a well, rock hard. I use this water for raising my juvies and they are doing fine. Make sure that your ph is stable. The most important thing is stable clean water.
If you need a RO unit contact Randall (dirt cheap RO) He has the best prices and is very knowledgeable.
HTH

Russ
03-26-2005, 02:29 AM
Hi Nimo,
If your going to use tap water you should let it age in a storage barrel for around 24 hours with heavy airation to stablize the ph. Peat moss will usually take 3 days before you get the full benefit of lowering the ph, and it will add a brown tint to the water. You should also check your KH level, because if it is below 3 your ph will be unstable and you will have to raise the KH with a supplement.

Russ

Howie_W
03-26-2005, 09:05 AM
Hi Nimo,

When starting out with Discus, it's best to keep things as simple as possible and go from there.

If your first concern is stable pH, then Russ' recommendation is the way to go; 24 hour storage of your tap water, with aeration, and temperature kept aprox. the same as your tank temp.

The last thing you want to do is dump lots of different chemicals in your tank...a complete waste of money, and an easy way to create problems in your tank.

Howie

F8VRT-HBY
04-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I use to use peat moss in my tank. It was a psin to use and im sure i never had my "system"down right to get the water to not fluctuate between water changes.

Now i just use a python and no peat moss and i do three water changes a week and the fish look and act better than ever!! :bandana: