PDA

View Full Version : non-discus tank

Eddie
03-31-2005, 04:57 AM
I was just curious about a non-discus set-up. I've kept tropical fish for some time know but I've got some inquiries. I'm setting up a 55 gallon tank for my work. I'm not sure about the fish. I'm sure it will be a majority rules (150 people in my squadron) type thing but here is what I got so far. Need advice
Tank-55
Filtration- AC 70 (300)
Heating- 250 watt
Substrate-natural nutmeg
Plants-plastic assorted
Driftwood

Now would it benefit me to throw in some sponge filters or should I run another AC. I've always used power-filters. Just some advice would be nice. Thanks all! Your the best around! ;)

sidra
03-31-2005, 11:13 AM
My opinion would be one of two things:

A compatable mixture of African Cichlids. There are so many cool varieties. Also, one of my favorite non-discus fish are German Blue Rams. The golds are pretty too. They are really fun fish to watch. Mine spawn constantly and although they always eat the eggs, their interaction with each other through the spawning cycles is interesting.

OR...

Something like Oscars, Severum or even Pirahna. I don't know the first thing about keeping Pirahna but they are pretty cool in a tank. Oscars from what I hear are pretty rugged so they might be a good option, especially if you don't know who'll be taking care of them when you leave. Friends of mine had Oscars and when they went away the guy's dad WAY overfed the tank. Killed everything BUT the Oscar and when they came home and found the mess, the Oscar was still hungry.

My thoughts for whatever they are worth!

Kristen

nacra99
03-31-2005, 12:09 PM
Hey Bass,

Kristen gave pretty good suggestions with the Cichlids and Oscars, they would make a great non-discus display, but the dowside is that they may be a little aggressive for community tanks, especially if you plan to have smaller or schooling fish.

6 or so Altums make a good addition to most community tanks, especially if you have long tall plants like grasses or Saggitarias. Tetras, corys and plecos make a great addition to any community tank.

If you are adventurous, you may want to try a brackish type setup, with species like puffers, monos and scats.

Speaking of Monos, don't ever put monos and angels in the same tank. It seems like Monos have to tendency to give the angels a "haircut" to conform to it's own short fins.

It really depends on what kind of "Mood" you are looking for in a tank. Schooling angels tend to be a little more docile and calm gives you the soothing "lava lamp" type of effect. Brackish fish and some Chiclids tend to be quick "Darty" (Top-Gun type).

What kind of Squadron are you with? "Darty" little guys would be perfect for a fighter squadron....:D .I used to fly C130's and we had a lone Oscar called "Charlie" ...hehe.. Ok...i'm rambling... better stop now...

HTH
Marc

Eddie
03-31-2005, 12:47 PM
Actually I'm in Air Mobility squadron. We move all the Big Dog (cargo) airplanes. Our squadron mascot is a baracuda so the pirahnas might be a winner. I haven't the slightest clue about salt water so I'm not going that route. If not, the cichlids might be good also. I've had cichlids forever. Thanks for your advice all. I'll definitely have a good time putting it all together! :D
Eddie

Discus_KC
04-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Eddie,

Solicit your squadron for avid fishnuts. Should be at least a few addicts there !!!!! LOL

Jack

sidra
04-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Had another thought...how about sharks. There are some varieties of fresh-water sharks that are silver and very streamlined and quick-moving like baracuda.

Kristen

Eddie
04-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I'm sure I'll be recruiting several people. Anybody that comes to my house instantly wants to get a tank. They think Discus are too hard but I explain it all and they seem to understand.
We'll see what type of selection there is avaliable at the LFS's. It's slim pickings but we will make it work. I have to do a lot of fundraising to get the money for it all. It will be a squadron participation. I'm sure it will all turn out. ;)