PDA

View Full Version : Tronic heaters?

sidra
04-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Most of my heaters are Visitherms and they work great except I have to buy one quite a bit bigger than recommended to get the temperature I want.

I have one Tronic heater (a 75w I used to supplement the heater in my main tank). So far I really like the Tronic. It's fully submersable, has an on-light and overheat shut-off and seems to have no problem attaining the temperature. In fact, the other heater doesn't run all that much with this one in there.

However, this heater does not go on and off like other heaters do to achieve temperature. Instead it stays on continuously until desired temp is reached and then it shuts off until temp drops.

1. Is there any reason that might be a bad thing? i.e. Is a heater that works that way any more likely to overheat?

2. Does anyone else use these heaters and have any good or bad experience with them?

Thanks.

JimmyL
04-04-2005, 02:48 PM
It's a good and accurate heater. Rarely malfuction except but..... but.... They don't last long. The fail safe mechanism failed miserably. It never shut off when dry. Glass explode the moment water touches the heater. I bought them in an auction when the store went bankrupt with a block of 50 heaters and I only have a few left because they are in my sump tank and the water never dry up. I must have lost at least 40 of them for the past 3 years. Those I caught on time and were shut off before water hit are coated with melted plastic holders. It can never come off the glass. Anyone has a way to clean them off?
Jimmy

sidra
04-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the info Jimmy, that'll make me think twice. I do always unplug my heaters when doing water changes, but...

Why does every heater have an issue? The visitherms don't heat as well as they should (I don't think so anyway), their new Stealths are nice but don't have an indicator light to show when they are on. The Ebo's have questionable submersability since being purchased by Eheim, so I hear.

I think there was a thread on heaters fairly recently. I guess I gotta go back and re-read that thread if I can find it.

Kristen

dishpanhands
04-04-2005, 03:15 PM
i have a tronic i have used it for a few years no trouble yet (knocking on wood). :o

funkyfish
04-04-2005, 09:05 PM
i like the new stealth heaters got a half dozen couple of months ago true they don't have a on and off light but they have been great heaters. the one thing is i thought i had one burn out on me but it was in my storage container so no harm done i cleaned it off and pluged it back in and it hass worked fine ever since i geuss the build up of calcium or something over heated it so i keep them clean now

Tad
04-04-2005, 10:24 PM
I used the Tronic about 3 years ago and didnt have great luck with them...Maybe they improved their quality over the last few years. Im currently experimenting with the new Stealths and have had trouble free heating so far. If someone would just make a reliable heater that was accurate, dependable,durable, backed by a great manufactures warranty and fair value, they would make a Kings Ransom!!!

JME,

Tad

sidra
04-04-2005, 10:44 PM
My thoughts exactly, Tad. Wish I had that know-how.

Here's one...Anyone seen or tried the ETH In-Line Heater by Hydor? It connects to the return on your canister filter instead of going in your tank so you don't have to worry about breakage. It says it has a polymer sheet silk-screened with heating ink (like in a car's windshield) and can be run for a short time without water with no damage. They're pricey though-about double the cost of a regular submersable heater. I wonder if they're worth it.

Kristen

funkyfish
04-05-2005, 12:42 PM
i had a hydro heater it did not last long it slowly quiet heating not sure if they have improved them or not jmo

Eddie
04-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Tell you what, got the new ebo's and they are fully submersed in my storage bins. They are the best thing since sliced bread! I tried to add variety and get a visitherm for my other storage bin and I'm just waiting for it to crack. There seems to be a lot of feedback on the visitherms for cracking. I wish I would have gotten another Ebo. Damn. I'll pick another one up when I'm in the States. Ebo's for life. They are not accurate but once you get them to the right temp. They don't budge for nothing. Also, they get any temperature setting I want (92+) easy. ;)

Jeff_NZ
04-05-2005, 05:35 PM
However, this heater does not go on and off like other heaters do to achieve temperature. Instead it stays on continuously until desired temp is reached and then it shuts off until temp drops.

Arnt those the same two things? Heaters turn off when the desired temp is met, then they turn back on as soon as the sensor has sensed that the temp has dropped slightly.

IMO ive used the tronic heaters for a maybe 3 years, they have been great, very constant with maintaining a certain temperature, but I find that u need to set the temp high to achieve the desired temp. ie Heater set on 30, actuall water temp reading 27-28 celcius.

Hope that helps.
Jeff

sidra
04-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Jeff,

I could be wrong but I think most heaters cycle on and off even when bringing temperature up. Tronic heaters come on and stay on continuously until desired temp is attained. I have a Tronic and a Visitherm in the same tank. If I unplug heaters and do a w/c and the temp drops a degree or two, then plug them back in, the Tronic stays on continuously while the Visitherm cycles on and off. Again, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the info. It seems to me that most all heaters have to be set at a higher temp to get the temp you want. The ones that have to be calibrated may not do that??????

Kristen

Barb Newell
04-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Hi Sidra, I've had a couple of Tronics jam on. Luckily I caught both at around 99 degrees. I'm using visitherms also. The good thing about them is they're quickly replaced by mail by the company if they malfunction.

I have one of the new Ebos if I need to raise tank temp to 92.

Barb