PDA

View Full Version : Painted Tanks

mattm025
04-13-2005, 11:50 PM
Iv'e seen pictures with tanks that were painted but, I've also seen people use colored paper on their tanks. What kind of paper is best to do that?

Doug A
04-13-2005, 11:54 PM
I have used contact paper on my tanks. Just peel and stick. You can get it in many different colors and patterns. No fish tank designs though. :(

Doug

mattm025
04-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Anyone else? Or is contact paper the way to go?

bikhu
04-15-2005, 06:59 AM
HI,
I have used contact paper, wrapping paper, vinyl shower curtain and vinyl wallpaper. Recently I tried sponge painting a tank and I was so pleased that I am in the midst of switching all of my tanks over to sponge painted. It goes on really easy, I really like the way it looks and should I get sick of the color or whatever it is relatively easy to use a razor blade to scrape off the old latex paint. JMO....
peter

Howie_W
04-15-2005, 08:31 AM
I've experimented with a number of different background options, and am currently in favor of combining the best of both worlds.

Most of the decision comes down to personal preference. Painting a tank can be fun, but once you paint the tank it's probably going to stay that color for a long time...which is fine.

For removable backgrounds I've always used 3M vinyl...there's a huge selection of colors to pick from. The nice thing about vinyl is that it's waterproof...if it gets wet it will dry damage and wrinkle free. It can also be taped temporarily to the back of your tank and removed at anytime.

Another vinyl option is having an image digitally printed onto vinyl. This allows you to create any image you want, and print it to any size.

Lately I've become more interested in painted backgrounds. If you're going with a barebottom tank you can paint a piece of plywood and insert it under the tank. For the back or sides (and also the bottom), you can paint any one of a number of ridgid substrates such as gatorboard which is condensed foam; 3/16" is a standard size, it's easy to cut by hand, won't bow, and can be attached either with vinyl tape or velcro. In addition, foam backings also provide insulation for the tank.

Howie

alpine
04-15-2005, 09:00 AM
I got lucky,the business next to mine does kitchen cabinets and tops . So I go to the top making shop and choose any left over Formica color I like and they cut it to the dimensions I need for the tank ( FREE :D ) , then I just slide it in the back or out if I do not like it , stays put with no glue or tape. I have not yet found the color I would like to keep. Colors look totally different after you set the behind the water .

roberto.