PDA

View Full Version : What type of filter set up for a 75 gal?

tpl*co
04-17-2005, 09:58 PM
OK, someone in town has a used 75 gallon acrylic they are going to sell me and I'm dreaming of ways to set up filtration on it :o . What size acuclear and sponges do you think I need on it as well as size of heaters? Do you think two hydro IV sponges would do or should I add a acuclear 200 or 300 also? Also, I was wondering if anybody has used a power head on their sponge filters or just air stones? If you use a power head, what flow?

I'm so excited about getting a bigger tank, I haven't scoped out where to put it yet, but I'm excited about it :)

Cosmo
04-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Hey :) Don't blame you, I'd be excited too if I were you :)

On acrylic's, it can be difficult to impossible to get a power filter hanging on the back... depends on how big the cutouts are. Can't fit one on either of mine so I use cannister filters. I know they get a bum rap on the forum, but so long as you keep them clean the do a great job... bummed me out when I first found this out after buying an acrylic cause I had powerfilters left over from previous tanks but had to buy new filtration.

I would think 2 Hydro V's should be good, and if you have a good air pump, that should be all you need to power them. If you go powerhead, keep it tiny. I'd try to add something more though if I were you. See what the tank will accommodate and take it from there.

Heaters? Depends on the temp of the room you're keeping the tank in. Rule of thumb is 5 watts per gallon but you'd probably be fine with a 250 or 300 watt heater.. especially with acrylic, they have much better thermal properties than glass..

Have fun
Jim

Howie_W
04-18-2005, 08:31 AM
You don't need to use a power head for your sponges. A quality air pump, and some air stones will do the trick. I keep a pair of Hydro V's running in my 75 gallon. If you are going to add an Aqua clear, go with the large size one.

Howie

funkyfish
04-18-2005, 09:11 AM
i use 2 hydro 5' on my 75 and a 350 watt heater
good luck with the new tank

tpl*co
04-18-2005, 10:49 AM
A couple of hydro IV would be too small then? :(. (this is what I have going and seeding on my other tanks, I was hoping to get this guy set up for my babies before I go on that week trip the beginning of next month and I have a couple of hydro IVs in the works) The fish are in a 30 gallon now with an Aquaclear 170, a hydro IV, and another smaller sponge. I have another Hydro IV going in my main tank that I could move. I also have a Magnum HOT that I found could fit on the 40 acrylic I have sitting waiting to be set up (But hey, bigger is better on tanks, especially since they'll be going about a week without me watching them or doing their water changes :(). Do you think I should keep them in the 30 for the week with the auto feeder set at 1x a day light feeding, or move them up to the larger tank? I hopefully will be inspecting the tank (and getting it) on Wens.

ricmod
04-18-2005, 11:41 AM
I have a 55 acrylic and Aquaclear 110 fits the back fine.
Rich

Carol_Roberts
04-18-2005, 05:07 PM
The largest size aqua clear is the 110 now. That is a good size for a 75 gallon tank. Your two hydro IV will probably do the job for now - especially if the fish are small. 300 or 350 watt heater or two 200 - 250 watt heaters will work

tpl*co
04-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Well called them back to see when I can come get the tank and they said it had a crack in it so I guess I don't get a bigger tank after all. :(

Don_Lee
04-20-2005, 02:37 PM
That is a bummer!:(
If you ever do consider a larger tank, I would think about a wet/dry sump system.

Don

jimmyhat
04-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Well i got a very deep and tall 65gallon and i use a japanese heater (can host pictures later if you wanna see it) But this heater beats the shat out of anything i ever used. Its like radiant heating you can see the heat come off it and it heats fast to the exact degree you want. External thermostat and you can piggyback 2 silica sticks which are the heaters to make the thermostat not work so hard, I love them... Work wonders.

Filtration that is a personal topic not going anywhere near that! :bandana:

tpl*co
04-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Well, not quite a 75 gallon I was hoping for, but I got a new 60 gallon, hood and stand waiting for me to pick up! Mentioned to the manager I was looking for a big acrylic tank and she said that she had one in the back that was new but a return and would let me have that for an additional $20 (also came with a hood) so ends up I got a new 60 with a wrought iron stand and a 40 for $200! :). Trying to break it to DH though. My oh my how they multiply.

Willie
04-25-2005, 07:41 PM
I run a double stacked Hydro V off a powerhead in the 75, along with a biowheel type filter. Let the powerhead blast away, your fish will love it.

Willie

henryD
04-25-2005, 07:43 PM
That is awesome awesome pricing...

I would go with 2 AC500.

Well because i have some spare around. But they are good filters.

Henry

alpine
04-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Henry, I put two aquaclear 110 and two hydro IV on my 55 tank(Got really worry with my new babies and nitrite readings) and though it might be too much current from the aquaclears, but I do not think the fish mind. Have you found to be too much current ?
I just set up two 75 gallon tanks and though of putting two 110 aquaclears on each one but was worried about the electrical extra usage .
roberto.

tpl*co
04-25-2005, 10:47 PM
I found one of the older penguins without the biowheels (though I have the conversion kit to put the wheels on) that is equal to a 330 in great shape. One thing I don't like about Aquaclears is that they don't restart after a power outage, penguins usually do. (another thing to worry about, we had a power outage last week and the aquaclear was running dry, but my penguin and of course sponges were going. I was also going to put a couple of sponges on the tank. I like this new tank (though dh had a fit when he offered to pick it up, and not knowing how much the hobby costs, had a fit with the $200 spent since I already have other tanks going). Now you guys with multiple tanks going. What do you do about enough plugs and outlets? I don't want to blow a fuse!

henryD
04-26-2005, 06:24 AM
Alpine,

It really depends on how often you change water. I think if you were doing it daily then you can get away with the sponges alone. I was running 55 with just 2 hydro 5. Did water changes daily or every other day. Never had a problem in the 15 odd 55 gallons I had going.

I have to look it up but I don't think AC110 take up too much electricity.

TPL,

I have both AC500 and the marineland 300(old school). I like them both. When I am putting up new tanks I basically use all the old equipment i have sitting around. If you get into a multitank situation and they are all around each other. I would consider running just sponges and an air system. It is the cheapest method by far. Then you don't have to worry about outlets and blowing fuses.

Henry

Howie_W
04-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Sponges are the least expensive way to go. As long as you keep up your daily maintenance they work just fine. In addition, the more sponges you have running, the easier it is to keep setting up new tanks. :)

Howie

alpine
04-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Thank you. I think I will just use one 110 and one Hydro IV on each 75 gallon. Change water everyday .

roberto.