PDA

View Full Version : filter advice for 150gal

simon.browm403
04-18-2005, 05:33 PM
hi there, i'm in the planning stage, for setting up a 150gal discus planted tank, (a total diy job, tank, filter, cabinet, hood and lights)

I'm looking for some advice on the best filter system, i was thinking of a overflow through a polywool pre filter, set in a coloum, and was wondering about the size of pipe and the size of return pump needed.

Any advice , links and pics would be really helpfull :D :D

Tiptoptank
04-18-2005, 05:45 PM
I would not, and this is just my opinion, make my own filter. Many will disagree but, once again this is JMO. I would go with a big Ehiem. They are just so good. THere quite, they last forever, the don't release much needed Co2 (plantedtank), and they work so well. For around 250$ I think you can get a really big one.

Marinedepot has pretty good prices on filters.
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_filters_eheim_classic_canister_external.a sp?CartId=

A 2250 classic should do the job for around 200$. If I was you and I'm not 8) this is the filter I would buy. Either a 2250 or 2217.

One more question? If this is gunna be planted, do you have a presurized Co2 setup. You will need it. Also I would go with PPMD ferts for a tank that big. Useing commerial ferts like kent will definatly add up alot.

Cosmo
04-18-2005, 06:18 PM
I'd get one 2229 Eheim wet/dry and one 2217 Can. Can't go wrong like TipTop said, and, very low electrical usage..
Jim