PDA

View Full Version : co 2 and plants

nimo69
04-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Setting up planted 150 for discus and want advice on which co 2 unit is best---fosters has co2 reactor 1000 --any comments on this one or others that you like?

briankgarrison79
04-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Well, you can spend lots of money on gas co2 or for a fraction of the cost, you can make your own. All it takes on a 150 gal you will need 3 2 litter pop bottles, 1' foot of ridged tubing and some flexable tubing. Next question to you is are you using a canister filter or not??? If you are direct the outlet of the co2 into the intake of you canster filter, that way the co2 has plent of time to be absorbed into the water. If not, I recommened getting a Rio power head and hook up the flex tube into the air diffuser. That way it will be injected into your tank. The items to make your co2 are cheap!!! #1 sugar #2 baking yeast #3 baking soda. A 2 litter should last about a month and takes about 12 to 14 hours to start producing co2, so it would be adviseable to have 3 back up 2 litter's prepared a day before you change bottles, that way you don't shock your plants. Hope this helps... :angel:

aquaticplantman
04-19-2005, 03:22 PM
I've done CO2 both ways -- the 2 liter bottles, and now I have that same system from Fosters that you mentioned. If you have the money, go with the fully automated, pH controlled, pressurized tank system. Yes, it's a much larger initial investment, but way, way easier to use and maintain. I also run mine on a 150 gallon tank, and I only have to change the CO2 tank every 4 to six months. Then it's only $15 per refill. The sugar and yeast is measy and bothersome.

On a side note, I bought mine when Fosters had just put that model out. It had some bugs as far as not having some of the right parts with it, and I had to wait for them to come in, but they did a great job of making it right and I'd recomend buying from them again.

-- Matt H.

Tiptoptank
04-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Never use DIY in a tank that big. That is almost impossible to keep steady and acurate. Go get a JBJ regulator and a 5 to 10 pound Co2 from a local welding store and send the output into a canister filter. THe PH monitor isn't needed unless you want peace of mind. I never had one and will never own one. I just played with the bubble per sec for a week or two intill the PH stayed at 6.5 and I have not changed it since. NP

shalu
04-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Most algae related issues are due to insufficient/inconsistent CO2 levels. Pressurized is the way to go.

Wahter
04-19-2005, 11:22 PM
pressurized is the way to go - set it and forget it (at least for a year or so until the CO2 tank/ cylinder runs out).

JeffreyRichard
04-20-2005, 08:13 AM
I believe you can do better than Dr Fosters ... try looking here ...

http://www.aquarium-plant-store.com/