PDA

View Full Version : 2005 APRIL MEMBER SPOTLIGHT - MARIO/TURKIS

DarkDiscus
04-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Hello everyone and welcome to our first new spotlight in quite some time! Owning a home has been more demanding than I anticipated and I've been very busy. Depending on the reaction here, I'd like to get back into the monthly trend. Anyway, our victim this month is Turkis. Everyone thank him warmly for his time and effort!

Q - Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions today. Let's start with a little bit about you. Please tell us your real name and what you did for a living prior to your retirement.

A - My name is Mario Carvalho, prior to my retirement I used to work in the Nuclear Generating Station: water treatment plant, the water intake channels, zebra mussells control, heavy water distillation process here in Toronto. Since retired I do a lot of steelhead fishing, golfing and I have returned to the aquarium discus hobby.

Q - Please also feel free to let us anything you want to about your family and / or your life in Canada.

A - As for my familty, I have two kids still living at home, one graduated from University last year and the other has two more years to finish her degree.

Q - So how did you first get into discus all those years ago?

A - I first started with angelfish and got into breeding them. I had always heard that discus were a special kind of ornamental fish and was told by many people that is it was a big challenge to raise them, and breed them due to water chemistry and they were prone to get sick easily. One day when I was trying to sell angel fry at the LFS, I saw some discus that were reddish in colour and bought 6 of them. Unfortunately I later found out that they were colour fed and they turned out to be browns.

Q - And what did you do then, after you were hooked?

A - A friend in Ontario introduced me to certain German breeders from whom I did obtain some good stock - specially from Manfred Gobel.

I found out the hard way that it wasn't easy and it took me a few months to find the proper water chemistry to breed them. The majority of discus came from either Dirk Schlingmann, Schmidt Focke and Manfred Gobel.

Q - Please tell us about your set-up back then. How many tanks did you have? How many fish? Were you able to breed the wilds? What kind of filtration did you have?

A - My fishroom is 12'X 12' and it consists of 500 gallons of water and runs on two centralized system. Two different feeds in the central system with either low conductivity or high conductivity water.
I have the aerobic and anaerobic filtration system using Siporax as a filter media plus a UV sterilizer.

When the Siporax was developed by a German breeder, Manfred Gobel was in charge of the testing and he found out that it contained a lot of surface area for bacteria to colonize and he taught me how to set it up.

The tank's overflow goes into a sump which contains filter floss to remove the waste food and fish waste then it goes through the sponge filter and then to the Siporax filter media. A submersible is used to pump the water through a 5 micron Ocean Filter then it is "T"ed off to a fluidized filter media which contains Siporax at a very low flow. It then goes through a UV sterilizer and back to the tank.

Q - What made you quit raising discus back then? It sounds like your set up was running well.

A - The load was too much at work, I was working as a night shift manager and when I was transferred back to day shift it was impossible. I was looking after three times the amount of personnel and on call for 24/7.

Q - Did you miss keeping discus during the time you were away? Did you keep any other fish during that time?

A - I really missed the hobby, but I made my decision and the system was drained and boxed up.

Q - What made you get back into discus recently?

A - I retired and decided to get back into discus to keep busy and to keep myself sane during the winter months. And I do like the hobby. I just fired up the old system, made a few changes and it is running smoothly.

Q - Where do you get your fish now?

A - Some of the fish came from a Penang breeder about 19 months ago. The rest came from Wayne Ng Discus Centre.

Q - Please tell us about the fish you have now.

A - I have Red Melons (Bunga Raya), Mandarin Red Passion, Super Red Melons, Spotted Eruptions, White Eruptions (red spotted white), Golden Albinos and San Merah.

Q - Do you have any plans for breeding the fish? It sounds like you have an impressive collection.

A - I am planning to breed them this fall as a hobby. Right now the males are not ready. I did breed some of the Penang Eruptions and Ruby LSS a few months back.

Q - Can you think of anything that was done when you first started that would help discus keepers today?

A - Definitely do not buy any discus that are fully spotted at 2". They are either hormone fed or colour fed with synthethic carophyll or the use of CR6. This will cause some problems.

Q - Do you have any tips for the Simply Discus readers?

A - I have no tips right now, but if they do need help they should just send me a PM and I'll try my best to answer their questions.

Q - Do you have anyone that you would like to thank with regard to your discus keeping?

A - The list is too long, Al, Barb, Cosmo, Tag, Jason of Thunder Bay, Dkarc. I am sure I'm forgetting someone!

Q - Is there anything else you would like to add about discus, the website or anything else?

A - I just want to say that the website is fine and runs like a charm.

Okay Mario! It has been great to meet you and thank you so much for your time and wisdom! Please feel free to post all of the pics you can and comment on them for us. The few ones you posted after you got voted in were great!

turkis
04-19-2005, 03:26 PM
More discus pictures for your enjoyment.

turkis
04-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Golden albino's.

turkis
04-19-2005, 03:30 PM
White Eruptions or Red Spotted White.

turkis
04-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Spotted Eruptions.

turkis
04-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Spotted Eruptions.

turkis
04-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Spotted Eruption.

oodi
04-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Great interview and even better pics!!! Thanks John and Mario!!

Judi
:)

Barb Newell
04-19-2005, 04:56 PM
John and Mario, great interview!!! Thanks. Nice fish Mario.

Barb :)

bmrin1
04-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Great job John.
Mario very nice interview and have really appreciated your knowledge.
Brian

Discus_KC
04-19-2005, 05:18 PM
Mario,

Nice getting to know you better !!! You have some really "Sweet" stock !!!!

Jack

John,

Thank you !!!

turkis
04-19-2005, 05:19 PM
My special thanks to everybody and specially to John for the wonderful interview.
Mario

Cosmo
04-19-2005, 07:01 PM
no no no... thank YOU Mario :) Fascinating reading and beautiful pics.. :)

Jim

allan_mark76
04-19-2005, 07:19 PM
MARIO I am so happy you are out SPOTLIGHT of the MONTH ! ! ! Congrats and nice looking DISCUS.

ping
04-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Great interview :).
Very nice discus Mario :thumbsup: .
More pics please :D

Regards,
Ronny :)

ShinShin
04-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Good to hear more about you, Mario. You had some great teachers and fine discus way back in the day. Hope your new stock serves you well.

Mat

turkis
04-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Cosmo, Allan Mark & Ronny,
Thank you very much.
Ronny my hands are getting sore from taking pictures, Ha!Ha!
Mario

Sindhu
04-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Hey Mario,
Kong Hei, Kong Hei. Good rave and of course fantastic collection as usual.

turkis
04-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi Sindhu,
Thank you very much, just very lucky to have some good stock for my collection.
Mario

Jason
04-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Hi Mario,

great interview, and its nice to see you can now enjoy discus and retirement!!
your fish look great and set-up sounds awesome! do you prefer the newer type spotted strains etc. compared to the classic german lines you've kept in the past?

Dkarc@Aol.com
04-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Awesome interview Mario....and even better pictures!! :D

-Ryan

turkis
04-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Hi Jason,
I do prefer the newer spotted strains better, the spots on the older strain are not as nice, newer strain spotted fish have spots all over the body.
Mario

Hi Ryan,
Thank you very much.

jeep
04-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Great interview John and Mario!!!

Sweet fish as well! I'd like to see more photo's and good luck with the breeding program!!!

April
04-19-2005, 11:12 PM
nice to hear more about a nice guy who has extremely nice fish. thanks for giving the time to get to know you a bit more. that wasnt that hard was it?
can you come and build me a system like that? lol.

Doug A
04-19-2005, 11:25 PM
Love those spotted eruptions :thumbsup:
It was nice to get to know more about you!

Doug

turkis
04-20-2005, 12:20 AM
Hi Jeep, April and clownfish 20
Thank you very much.
I'll try and post more pictures later on.
Mario

zoids
04-20-2005, 12:51 AM
Mario,

Nice to know more about you and your setup.

Like everyone here "I WANT MORE PICS"!!!!!

All the best.

Roy

ed8t
04-20-2005, 01:15 AM
John...thanks for taking the time to set up the interview!!

Mario, thanks for sharing your set-up with us. Nice pics of some beautiful fish. I can only hope I can get a hold of some spotted fish as nice as yours!!

Sindhu
04-20-2005, 04:53 AM
Hi Mario,
how about some photos of your setup you mentioned about in your interview eg filteration system.

Spices
04-20-2005, 07:15 AM
Nice article! Congratulations again, Mario. Those discus sure do look sweet. I'm also interested in seeing more of your tanks' connections. :thumbsup:
**Angie

mench
04-20-2005, 07:20 AM
Another great job!! Mario,now that the weather is getting better we will have to plan a "road trip" to come up for a visit....

Mench

DarkDiscus
04-20-2005, 07:28 AM
Hey Mario,

When you get a chance can you post some pics of your filter system. I'm most interested to see it. It sounds most functional!

Thanks!

John

turkis
04-20-2005, 11:14 AM
This is the old centralized system that was built 20 years ago, it is a double feed and double drain system using either low or high conductivity water, it is confusing by looking at the pictures and too many PVC piping, what it does by opening and closing some valves, the overflow water from the tanks could be redirected to two different sumps, each sump contains a 5 gallons pail that is drilled at the bottom that has filter floss, sponge filter and 3/4 full of Siporax filter media (aerobic part of the filtration system). Simple water change is by opening and closing the drain valve to the pail, water will be redirected into the sink drain.

turkis
04-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Overflow line from tank to either the sump or sink drain.

turkis
04-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Anaerobic filter media in acrylic column.

turkis
04-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Another centralized system is being built, top tier waiting for parts and the lower tier is operational for grow outs.

turkis
04-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Aerobic filter columns.

turkis
04-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Pressurized anaerobic column with low flow.

ping
04-20-2005, 11:34 AM
:shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked: Mario, i am lost :D. :crazy: :rolleyes2 :thumbsup:

Ronny :)

turkis
04-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Hi Ronny,
It is not easy to trace the flowpath for this dual system, just think about it as a single feed & drain system, just add more valves and piping to incorporate two system together.
Mario

kjmillerfw
04-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Whew! I'm lost too...but Mario, you know I stay lost...hehe

Great interview guys and Mario, you are getting better and better at that picture taking *wink*

P.S. I need to find out how to make smileys work here...I can't hardly post without them.

Kathy

turkis
04-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi Kathy,
Thank you very much and I don't know how to use the smileys either, maybe one of the Mod. will be kind enough to give a slight explanation.
Mario

CliffsDiscus
04-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Mario,
Great interview and nice picture with great looking Discus. I remember see
a filtering system similar to yours at Golbel's Hatchery many years especially with
the Siproax stacks.

Cliff

Discusgeo2
04-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Great job on the interwiew Mario. Thanks for the pictures and keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing your Eruptions spawn for you. I would like to see your Ruby LSS.

1MACK1
04-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Great!
Any more pictures PLEASE!

babyjess210
04-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Hey Mario

It's nice to hear about your setup and your family....always good to see your awesome fish.
Kenny

turkis
04-20-2005, 05:23 PM
CliffsDiscus,
Thanks, those stacks of Siporax will last forever and the surface area is about 300sq. ft. per 1 liter of Siporax.

Thank you all
Mario

Carol_Roberts
04-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Gorgeous discus :thumbsup:

Sindhu
04-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Hey Mario,
thanks for the photo of the filter setup. I think I roughly got the drift but would be better to get a full transmission from you when we meet next. BTW, where did you get the "Pressurized anaerobic column with low flow" from?

Rgds
Sindhu

turkis
04-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Thank you very much Carol.

Sindhu,
The filtration system is a little bit complicated, too many valves and PVC piping around.
The pressurized column was made by a friend of mine, picture of the golden albino with rabbit eyes.
Mario

Sindhu
04-22-2005, 12:52 AM
G'day Mario,
yes i can see that it's a complicated setup but if it works... it's worth it. I have filter sytems for my house (well water), pond and to the fish room. And fish room to a underground tank for the garden etc. PVC rules!!!! and they all have many valves to turn on and off, so in a way I am getting used to it. Takes a while to figure but hey, it saves so much time. Since I have quite a few tanks, I am still trying to figure a way to simplify my daily routine with WCs. Since I guess you don't have time to draw it out as requested sometime back, do take more photos of it and we can wrap our brains around it when we meet next.

Awesome Golden Albinos. And As I've mentioned before; the eyes are really freaky and as usual thanks for sharing your addiction, hee, hee. Makes everyone drool like hungry ghosts, hee, hee. More please....

tcfish
04-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Nice write up,BUT Mario you cant leave just yet you have got to show off your perfect Mandarin passion, Red melons and san merah's ,Just simply beautiful fish

turkis
04-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Hi tcfish,
PIctures of the fish as requested.

turkis
04-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Mandarin Red Passion.

turkis
04-30-2005, 01:00 PM
San Merah's.

turkis
04-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Red Melon's.

turkis
04-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Another picture of Red Melon's.

turkis
04-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Another picture of San Merah's.

ping
04-30-2005, 01:07 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :)

turkis
04-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Community tank.

Barb Newell
04-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Love those Mandarin Passions :thumbsup: and Red Melons. Spectacular looking fish Mario!!!!

Barb :)

turkis
04-30-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi Ping & Barb,
Thank you very much.
Mario

Spices
04-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Simply the best Mandarin Passions and San Merahs and Red Melons ever! Again Mario, they are absolutely fabulous!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

*Angie*

turkis
04-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Angie,
Thank you very much.
Mario

Tad
05-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Mario,
Great interview, Awesome filtration setup, and Outstanding discus...what more could a person ask for.. Thanks for sharing your hobby with all of us!

Best of luck,
Tad

turkis
05-07-2005, 01:58 AM
Hi Tad,
Thank you very much and it is my pleasure.
Mario

raglanroad
05-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Mario,
Thank you, I learned again from you.
No wonder the dye jobs are not your cup of tea !
After you have tons of fry, perhaps you might be able to sell me a few tinies ( my daughter wants some of those "pancake fish, Daddy! "). Of course, as for myself, for my first "pancakes", I will do what you did, buy and learn from the best! (now that I know you are in my neighbourhood!)
Dave

turkis
05-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Hi Dave,
Thank you very much and whenever you are around in the neighbourhood, feel free to drop in anytime.
Mario

jimmyhat
05-13-2005, 07:15 PM
i LOVE your spotted eruptions :o

turkis
05-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Hi jimmyhat,
Thank you very much, the spotted eruptions came from Wayne Discus Centre in Hong Kong.
Mario

korbi_doc
05-14-2005, 04:39 PM
:bouncegre :bouncegre Wow!! Mario, your fish are all awesome!! Wish I could get up there to visit, would love to see'm "in the flesh"!! Gorgeous colors, the Spotted Eruptions are just magnificent as are the MPs, SMs & the RMs.. & your set-up would make any of us salivate, but waayyyy to complicated for me.. Hopefully I can set something up in Tn that'll save me work & make w/cs easy & quick..Then, I'd love to get some of those fish!!!!
Great interview! thanks for the wonderful pics, Dottie :fish:

turkis
05-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Hi Dottie,
Thank you very much.
The central system is very easy and not complicated at all, when I get down for the ACA in Texas I will explain the whole set up, it is confusing due to many PVC pipes running into the tanks and the filtration system.
You could drop in anytime and I'll even pick you at the airport.Ha!Ha!
Mario

Jdawgg
06-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Great interview. Fine looking fish Mario. Woulnd't mind finding a few eruptions like those.

turkis
06-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Great interview. Fine looking fish Mario. Woulnd't mind finding a few eruptions like those.

Jdawgg,
Just got back from my Asia trip and thank you very much for the compliment.
Sorry for the late reply and please check your PM.
Mario

Northwestcoastdisc
07-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Very nice to set up tanks and discus!!!

It’s very confused how it works from water run into your tanks and water waste!

Happy enjoy your retirement and enjoy working with your hobby beautiful discus!

Take care
Duncan

turkis
07-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Hi Duncan,
Thank you very much, the PVC piping is confusing and If you need more information just send me a PM.
Mario

Timbo
02-26-2006, 07:51 PM
is there anyone in canada who knows more about discus than Mario? unlikely :)

time for a thread update mario! it was a pleasure to spend a few hours with you at Bob's...next time i'm in toronto, the green fees are on me

dtownkennel
03-01-2006, 03:12 AM
Great interview...and Beeeeeeeeaaaauuutttiiiiful fish!!!!!!!

diskboy
03-27-2006, 10:16 PM
very nice

yeomans
05-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Mario, your fish are of outstanding quality, I especially like the melons, and the albinos. Great work, keep posting pics, I love to see good quality fish in Canada. Best of luck, josh

turkis
05-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi Timbo,
It's nice meeting you at Bob's, next time I hope your visit will be longer.

Hi dtownkennel, diskboy & yeomans,
Thank you very much.
Mario