PDA

View Full Version : so many water conditioning out on the market for discus Which one is good ????

nimo69
04-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Looking at Dr.Foster&Smith
Man they have so many products like (Immuno -Vital Fresh) Instant Amazon ,Black Water ,Discus Essential ,and Amazon Rain

Any one use these ? Which one of these should I use

Please help :) :) :) :) :)
Nimo69

NatakuTseng
04-20-2005, 06:12 PM
None of them. They aren't permenant and will cause pH fluctuations with your water in the tank. Not good at all for any fish to go through that. 99% of the time its better to leave your water alone (unless you use RO) and the fish will be perfectly happy.

GulfCoastDiscus
04-20-2005, 06:29 PM
None of them. They aren't permenant and will cause pH fluctuations with your water in the tank. Not good at all for any fish to go through that. 99% of the time its better to leave your water alone (unless you use RO) and the fish will be perfectly happy.

I agree

korbi_doc
04-20-2005, 06:42 PM

:D I agree also!! The less you have to do to your water the better! If you have decent water to start with, these fish will adapt to it! The major thing to remember is "CONSISTENCY"!! Keep your temps & ph the same all the time, age the water IF its necessary & to use R/O, there's lotsa help there too, IF necessary for breeding!! Lotsa luck, as the older legends in this hobby recommend, "keep it simple"!!! Dottie :sun:

Carol_Roberts
04-20-2005, 07:12 PM
I don't use anything in my tanks. Clean, warm, fresh water is all they need.

nimo69
04-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Thank You
everyone
nimo69

Cosmo
04-20-2005, 07:28 PM
I use RO, so I always add Discus Essentials to add back the trace elements. With tap water, no need

Jim

wild_heckel
04-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Don't you need to remove chloromine from tap water? Our tap water has chlorine and chloromine. Also flourite to keep discus teeth nice and shinny. Lol. I use seachem prime, after reading this thread not sure if it's necessary now.

Carol_Roberts
04-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Yes, you need to remove chlorine and chloramine! I have a well so don't need those products.

hexed
04-21-2005, 01:16 AM
All I do is add NovAqua to my water and in the tank it goes. I use straight from tap. I do not have to age my water. I'm lucky :)
I do put my water into a 32 gallon buck before adding to the tank, this is only so I can adjust the temp to match my tank within a few degrees the I use a powerhead to pump it into the tank.
I use NovAqua because I was told it does not contain aloe which can clog your sponge filters but I do not know how true this is ;)
HTH Frank

fishfarm
04-21-2005, 08:18 AM
It's better to acclimate your fish to the water you have than mess with it every time you do a water change. If your water is to hard and you wan't to breed them RO is the way to go. Use a good de-chorinater like Prime if that is needed. I have a well so I just put the hose striaght into the tank. Ken

funkyfish
04-21-2005, 09:15 AM
i have chlorine and floride in my water i just age it for 24 hours and use it.
i dont use any water conditioner that stuff gets expencive over time
good luck

billeagan
04-30-2005, 12:12 PM
When I'm using water straight from the tap I use prime to dechlorinate and discus buffer and neutral regulator to get the ph to about 6.8 or so.

In my R/O water I just add equilibrum to adjust the GH.

Dave C
04-30-2005, 01:00 PM
You don't improve your water by adding things to it, you improve it by removing things. If you remember that one thing alone your Discus will do better and you'll save tons of ca$h.