PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever use carbo-plus system for there plants (co2)

nimo69
04-23-2005, 10:29 PM
On Dr.F&S WEBSITE THEY HAVE NEW SYSTEM IT LOOKS LIKE A WAY TO GO ?? I'm looking for a co2 system which is easy and (easy )
Thanks
Nimo696 :) :antlers: :alien: :) :) :) :)

Anonapersona
04-24-2005, 10:00 PM
I hate mine. I find it is a pain to clean, the springs rust and then I can't get the pin out to repalce it. Parts are expensive. Got a new bar and holder for $40 or so but the rusted pin to the spring is corroded and wont' clean up so the new stuff doesn't work....grrr.

OTOH, I spent about the same amount for a 10 gallon Co2 tank, all-on-one regulator/soleniod/bublecounter, and Eheim diffuser and it is totally problem free.

peteypob
04-25-2005, 01:59 AM
I have also heard that these things were a pain. Never experimented with one, but would definately reccomend pressurized co2 is the way to go. It may cost some to start off but after the initial investment it is really cheap to maintain. I find it quite easy as well. I have a friend of mine that does the DIY co2 system and says it does him well. All depends on your choice of doing things.HTH
-Pete

lesley
04-25-2005, 03:02 AM
Mine is sitting with various other useless things - ready to go to the tip!!

It worked okay for six months, but as Anonapersona said various bits rusted out as well, so as well as paying for a new carbon block ($100) I needed to spend more and that was only after six months.

Decided to cut my losses.

Don_Lee
04-25-2005, 02:46 PM
I have never heard a good word about them.....

NatakuTseng
04-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Something you guys may also want to consider is getting a bulk co2 tank, 50lbs, and then fill the smaller tanks off that rather than taking them back down and trading them out. Its much cheaper that way. Thats how we do it at my family's paintball store and every other paintball store that I've heard of. Many people use small CO2 tanks between 9oz and 20oz as a propellant for many of the guns, and we fill those off a larger bulk tank. Costs like $20 to switch out the big tanks, and about the same for a yearly rental fee. Basically all you need to fill them (and I'm sure you could get a 20oz CO2 tank and adapt it to using it for CO2 fertilization, the tanks themselves cost about $16.) So you'd just need a fill station, and a digital scale. As CO2 is stored in the tanks as a liquid under about 1200 psi, its also weighed rather than filled by a certain pressure. You don't need a special lisence to do any of this, just use precaution and don't let the tanks sit near anything hot, in direct sunlight, or in a spot where they may fall over. If any of you have any questions about this stuff, don't be afraid to ask me, I'm very familiar with the mechanics of filling tanks and such and would be glad to help you guys out.

Brian

shalu
04-26-2005, 04:22 AM
I'd rather refill my 10lb couple of times a year at a bevarage supplies place, rather than having to mess with a 50lb one. :) Typically a 20lb one is the max size people use for planted tanks.

NatakuTseng
04-26-2005, 08:47 AM
I'm not saying that you'd want to use the 50lb bulk tank as your primary source. Its just a lot cheaper to be able to fill your own tanks from that cylinder. I'm not sure what your paying for a 10lb tank to be filled so I can't say for sure, just saying what I know from my experience dealing with filling paintball tanks and such, I know people like to draw distinctions between things but in all reality it doesn't matter what kind of thing the tank is being used for, its still a CO2 cylinder and they still fill the same way. Its quite similar to the High Pressure Air cylinders that we also fill, 4500-5000 psi depending on the tanks we're filling and a 6000psi bulk tank, but I can also use Scuba tanks to fill the smaller cylinders, or just take them to the fire station (where we get the bulk tanks filled) and fill them there just like the SCBA tanks that the fire fighters use.

suisoman2
04-29-2005, 09:50 AM
FWIW
My beginner tank buddy bought one a year ago and tossed it after 6 months. Since he replaced the carbo plus system with a pressured gas system he is much happier , gets daily pearling and decent plant growth. As a beginner he found gas much better even though the electrical system looks simple and easy. same comnment as above, expensive, the ankers rust , also eats your KH , watch out with low natural KH. ( always the case, but this is an additional consumer )
Dirk

I run gas CO2 on my 75G with sump and trickle. Since |I sealed the sump I consume 5 times less CO2 , a 2 liter bottle lasts 4 months now ( my KH is 8)