PDA

View Full Version : what media do you use?

SmellsFishy0
04-27-2005, 12:23 PM
hey folks ...just got my first canister for my 75g(rena xp3). its planted a little, slowly gettin more planted with a few discus along with some cory's n loaches. just curious what u all use in your baskets. in my power filters i always just used floss and sponges. i know theres alot of medias out there but there mainly for raising or lowering this or that.just wanna know what you all use mostly/all the time. thanks in advanced

Tiptoptank
04-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Bioballs and ceramic tubelets

nimo69
04-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Hey dumb question ??? What is a ceramic tubelets?? What do they do ?
Thanks
Nimo69

Tiptoptank
04-27-2005, 01:39 PM
They are little 1/2in by 1/2in tubelets made of ceramic for bactria colonys.

They came with my fluval.

O, one more thing. Go buy alot of plants. Enough to cover at least 75% of the ground of your tank. Or, eles you will soon be fighting all kinds of algea. This is according to Amano and he knows his s**t

sidra
04-27-2005, 02:05 PM
I modified what came with my Eheim canister.

I use the ceramic tubes, then I put in some stuff called "grob" or "Ehfifix" from Eheim. It's like thick, course Easter Basket grass. Then I have a course pad, then substrate, then two fine pads on top of that. I added the second fine pad because too much little particles were making their way back out of the filter. I removed the carbon pad that came with the filter. I'm happy with it.

I agree on the plants helping keep the algae down. Since my plants have taken hold well, my algae is minimal and. However, it is just a pain to clean around those plants! Especially grassy ones like Sagittaria.

There's my 2 cents.

Kristen.

Don_Lee
04-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Low growing plants can be tough to clean around, it is part of the price to pay for such plant selections. They are beautiful, but if one is not ready to do the work, can be difficult.
Amano is a true artist, no question about that in my mind. But, there is a difference between maintaining a tank long term and devising a beautiful tank to photograph.....one has to find a balance.

Don

frenchdiscus
04-27-2005, 10:33 PM
In my Fluval 404, I use 2 layers of filter floss and 2 layers of BioMax, I also have 2 sponge filters in the tank