PDA

View Full Version : Variety of Discus in one tank

ryanchristopher_6
04-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Does anyone have advice on buying discus? I have owned just about every freshwater fish except discus. I have recently purchased a 60 wide and I am planning on populating it with a wide variety, vs all the same variety. I have read that different discus like slightly different conditions. any suggestions?

Howie_W
04-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi Ryan,

You can mix any strains you like together in one tank, it really just comes down to personal preference. The important thing to keep in mind is that it helps if you buy your fish at the same time from a single source to help minimize and health issues.

Down the road, you'll want to keep a maximum of aprox. 6-8 adults Discus in that size tank.

HTH

Howie

Carol_Roberts
04-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Yes, get the discus from one source at one time. Most domestic juveniles do fine in tap water. Read through the beginner index for tips on how to set up yoru tank and do water changes.

ryanchristopher_6
04-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the advice! I am in touch with Jeff Young from the discus farm in LA and I am going to buy my fish from him, all at the same time. I eventually want multiple tanks and I also want something like a 300 gallon with ton of discus in it.
My tap water has a pH of about 8.5 and the GH is about 1500 ppm, mostly calcium and magneium carbonate. I think I have some work to do before I can even think about populating my tank!

billeagan
04-30-2005, 12:08 PM
If you are keeping a show tank you don't need to worry about the hardness of the water.

You'll need to get the PH down to neutral.

Barrons put a nice book for about $5. I would buy that in addition to utilizing this site.

Good luck
Bill

Howie_W
05-01-2005, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the advice! I am in touch with Jeff Young from the discus farm in LA and I am going to buy my fish from him, all at the same time. I eventually want multiple tanks and I also want something like a 300 gallon with ton of discus in it.
My tap water has a pH of about 8.5 and the GH is about 1500 ppm, mostly calcium and magneium carbonate. I think I have some work to do before I can even think about populating my tank!

Ryan,

Your water is fine for growing out Discus, there's no need to adjust the pH. Again, it's best to start out small, gain some experience, and go from there. A good first step is beginning with healthy fish, and I'm sure Jeff will be able to help you there. :)

Howie