PDA

View Full Version : Aged Water Container Bubbles ??

alpine
04-30-2005, 06:13 PM
I have been using this container for water changes for three weeks, now it is showing some bubbles in the top of the water and I am getting concern ....I put my fingers on the side walls and they feel a little slimy...should I clean the aged water container that often ?
What do you all think ?

thanks,
roberto.

funkyfish
04-30-2005, 07:59 PM
that don't sound right
did u clean it when u first got it?
do u add anything to ur water?
drink some and see what it tastes lik
was it new when u got it?
ihave not cleaned my storage in a long time they have never been slimy
just a little calcium biuld up
do ur fish act alright?

inkfam
04-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Do you have any aeration such as an airstone in your container? Sometimes when I let the water in my container sit Without a airstone I get that same slime.

Ardan
05-01-2005, 06:08 AM
Hi,
When I use water aging barrels , I wipe them out on the inside every week.
Then rinse well with hot water.

hth
Ardan

alpine
05-01-2005, 07:24 AM
I do not have areation. I replenish the water, add prime and then agitate with a pond pump(which I use to fill tank) for maybe an hour and agitate again before I use on tanks.
I drained the water yesterday and cleaned the sides and bottom , the Viva towel came with a lot of redish residue and took the slime off the heater wiring. The water looks very clear this morning and no bubbles are present.
Do you all think I need to areate ?

thanks for the replies .
roberto.

walk23
05-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Have you used any other product other than Prime. The Amquel apppears to foster slime growth.
Kevin :angel:

alpine
05-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Only Prime.

roberto.

Greg Richardson
05-01-2005, 11:28 AM
I think if you put a six inch spray bar in on the bottom and run it all the time you won't see this problem and your water be in better shape to go into tank.

Carol_Roberts
05-01-2005, 06:08 PM
My aging barrels get a little build-up overtime. Every few months I rinse them out and wipe them down.

alpine
05-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Carol, do you areate your aged water containers ?

roberto.

Carol_Roberts
05-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Yep :)

Howie_W
05-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Hi Roberto,

The slime is bacteria build-up. The residue is probably minor algae build-up.

As mentioned, aerate your container and wipe down the insides once a week. It helps if you treat your storage container the same as you would your tanks; make sure all lines, cords, equipment, surfaces are kept clean.

Howie

alpine
05-02-2005, 06:13 AM
Well, I will add areation to the container and pay more attention to the cleansing of cords and walls.
How people that have 350 to 500 gallon containers keep them clean ??they only have a small opening on the top and a drain >
Thanks,
roberto.

Eddie
05-02-2005, 08:04 AM
Hey there Roberto. I use large rubbermaid containers to age my water and it has the same stuff. I use Prime for a water conditioner and my containers get alot of build up in them if I don't wipe them completely out every two weeks or so. I hate that stuff, it's so annoying. My issue is worse because I use a submesible pump with 3/4" tubing to circulate and fil my tank. The tubing gets alot build up also and it flakes off into my tanks. Not very attractive. So, I would just say to break down the container every week or two and give it a good wipe down. Works for me ;)

alpine
05-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks Basshead. I will have a weekly tear down cleansing.....

roberto.

tag
05-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Hi,

I guess I'm about to throw a winger into the suggestions made here already. I too get a heavy (reddish) buildup. I run 2 large powerheads and 2 smaller ones in a 150 gallon tank.Initially I thought it was red algae in the tap water but apparently I don't live in an area where that's possible. I've since found out that the reddish slime is rust and corrosion from the inside of city piping. I run my water through a three stage filter now before it ever sees the aging barrel where it sits for 24 hours treated with prime. Two carbon blocks and a 5 micron sediment filter (sometimes 1 micron) if it's really bad. It's the only thing that I've found to help. I still get some but it's weeks or longer before I ever have to clean it from the aging tank. Even then it's a quick wipe and I'm done.

Maybe you have a need to filter your water as well?

Hope you get it straightened out.

Tina