PDA

View Full Version : 2 new discus are black

franvell
05-01-2005, 11:10 PM
I have a 55 gallon with 6 mediun regular discuss and 4 small one 2 of them are very black. the eat and they are not beiing chase out by the other I feed them with a very variety of food incluiding beaf hart PH is 6.4 Temp 85 what it can be? They do not hide and swimm well around the tank Some time i see tem in the back of the tank looking to the back of the tank like hiding please any help I will apreciate
thank you

Howie_W
05-02-2005, 08:20 AM
Hi franvell,

A bit more info about your set-up will help;

Is your tank planted or barebottom?
How much water are you changing and how often?
Ammonia and nitrate readings?

Did you quarantine your new fish before adding them to your existing tank? In general, 10 Discus are too many for a 55 gallon tank. Turning black is a sign of parasite infection. The bioload in the tank may have caused any number of problems. Fish should be removed to a quarantine tank where you can observe their feces and apply daily 50% water changes. If feces is white/stringy you can treat with metro.

Howie

JimmyL
05-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Separate them in their own hospital tank. Apply salt 1tablespoon per 10 gallon every 4 hours time 3 while raising the temperature to 90 degree. Just observe. Do not feed them to keep the water clean. Wait till they come to the front of the tank before feeding a bit of blood worms. Do 50% W/C daily and replenish the same amount of salt. Do it for 3 days, then drop temp. slowly and W/C without adding salt for the next 4 days.
HTH
Jimmy

franvell
05-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Hi franvell,

A bit more info about your set-up will help;

Is your tank planted or barebottom?
How much water are you changing and how often?
Ammonia and nitrate readings?

Did you quarantine your new fish before adding them to your existing tank? In general, 10 Discus are too many for a 55 gallon tank. Turning black is a sign of parasite infection. The bioload in the tank may have caused any number of problems. Fish should be removed to a quarantine tank where you can observe their feces and apply daily 50% water changes. If feces is white/stringy you can treat with metro.

HowieIt is a planted tank and I do Water changes 30% every other day some time 25% only

franvell
05-02-2005, 12:29 PM
I did not quarantine the fish my mistake but they were doing ok for more a a month. today I went to see them and the color is ok They may be stress today the color of the body is ok