PDA

View Full Version : Yes, it can be done

suisoman2
05-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Here is a sample.

discus were grown out BB, then transferred to an established planted tank. The current set-up is now 1 year old , with the discus in there for about 6 months now. They were never sick so far and recently even eat out of the hand .

If interest in spec I will add this later.

I'm proud but if any comment, please vent ( the comment )

Spices
05-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Yeah... I'm venting... IT'S GORGEOUS! Nice job done. I love them Cobalts. Looking sweet. Please give details to your setup...Thanks!! :D

Angie

ricmod
05-03-2005, 11:48 AM
VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the forground is that chain sword? What is the type to the left that is really short? What size tank and how long set up? Co2 Injected?

Details Please!

Rich :D :D

Don_Lee
05-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Great looking tank! I would be very interested in reading more details about the tank, it looks very well thought out.....:)

Don

suisoman2
05-03-2005, 02:34 PM
here you go:
Tank : 75 G glass ( in metric: 155cm X 60cm X 55cm(H) )
Light: 4X 58 W T8 on electronic ballasts ( mixed bulbs, 50% cheap ones, 2 "plant" bulbs)
Heat: 2 X 150 W in sump. ( one is back-up set at slightly lower temp)
Filter: prefiltered overflow to sealed 35G sump with bioballs and sponge only.
( the sealing was necessary to prevent CO2 loss )
fertiliser: pressurised CO2 via controller and solenoid + KNO3, K2SO4 , Tropica Mastergrow, phosphate when necessary . everything dosed twice a week.
Water values ( basically tap ) : KH=8,GH=11, Temp 27-29C, NO3 about 10-15 ppm, PO4 about 0.1-0.2 ppm, conductivity: kept between 600-800 mS via WS. Ph set at 6.95 ( switching hysteresis at 0.05)
Water changes: 30% every 10-14 days.( just hose it from tap )
substrate: gravel with clay and soil addition, + 2 playsand corners for feeding

The plant on the left is a small variety of Echinodorus tenellus that I picked up in a store in Japan. the taller variety on the right is also a chain sword but I found no key to identify it yet. Anubias is attached to the backwall made out of polyurethane foam .

Tank was first set up 4 years ago, for 3 years I learned how to grow plants and little algae, experimented with extra additions of food (with previous fish population ) to understand how much the tank cycle could bear in tems of food additions, meaty foods etc...
Then restarted the tank a year ago poviding more open space, carpet plants etc...
All 5 Discus were added 6 months ago ( 14 months adults ) . after some initial darkening ( about 3 weeks ) they adjusted well and now spawn every week ( they are wo couples and a bachelor )

I will post some more pic later, but processing them to only 85k is time consuming , it is difficult to keep quality with 85k only . Can we get a forum corner for high res pics too please, admin?? Some of us just can't get enough ( bandwith , ouch ) .

Dirk

Doug A
05-03-2005, 05:11 PM
VERY VERY NICE!!!!! :thumbsup:

Thats the kind of setup I hope to have one day.

Doug

David_Hui
05-04-2005, 01:34 AM
Beautiful tank.

peteypob
05-05-2005, 01:20 AM
Beautiful tank and fish!
-Pete