PDA

View Full Version : Tank Weight?

BELLUR
05-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering at what size tank would you need to be concerned about the weight of the set up being upstairs? Would a 60 gal tabk be fine on modern day building standard floors? Perhaps I am being a little too unrealistic and the floors are capable of supporting huge weights? The last thing anyone wud wnat would to be collapse a floor .. I am totally unsure of the topic and any help or info is much appreciated, Thanks.

Anonapersona
05-06-2005, 02:27 PM
You can guess-timate at 10 lbs per gallon.

They say to set a tank so that it is across beams not in between support beams. I'm not sure how one can know the direction and spacing of supports.

sidra
05-06-2005, 02:40 PM
There was a post on this topic 3/11/05 started by Tag in the Do-it-yourself section. Check it out, several people responded and gave some good info.

Hope this helps,

Kristen

(For anyone interested..........check out your homeowners insurance policy. If it's not an "all-risk" policy you may not be covered for damage from a leaking or ruptured tank. Sorry, I'm an insurance person and we just had a claim from someone who's 55 gal drained and damaged his carpet and floor.)

mench
05-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Water weighs 8 lb per gal....try to put tank across floor joists instead of running with the joists..Across evens out the weight.

Mench

hexed
05-06-2005, 11:05 PM
We are rewiring our house and I took a picture of the way the floor supports go. I also showed what everyone's trying to say. The weight of the tank is evenly supported when it goes across the beams and when it goes with the beams the weight is all on only the one beam. Hope the pic helps.

ricmod
05-06-2005, 11:28 PM
You can try a stud finder to deturmine which direction the floor beams run.
Rich

funkyfish
05-07-2005, 09:13 AM
i have been framing houses for bout 10 years and the standard 2x12 pine floor joist are run the shortes distance if a room is 10' x 15' the floor joist
will run the 10' span . if u have the new silent floor system which is the I beam joists if ur house is longer than it is wider they will run front to back
the full lenth and not buy room.I have seen the demo tape on the silent floor
and one truss can hold the weight of a car at a 10' span. i;m not sure about the weight limits of pine but they will hold a lot of weight. we have set a buck of 250 8' 2x4 stud on a regular floor with no probs not sure how heavy that is but it's pretty dam heavy.just run it across the joist like everyone
has sead and u will be kool
good luck

Cosmo
06-02-2005, 09:53 PM
I have a 180 gal on the second floor of a 100yr old house... no problems. The tank is acrylic though, and that makes a several hundred pound difference in overall weight. You should have no problems with a correctly positioned 60gal.
Jim

jaydoc
06-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Agree with all of the above
a 75 gallon tank set near the wall is rarely a problem in a modern contruction house.

BELLUR
06-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, I had to get a new socket ran in the new house and one of the sections of chipboard floor had to be lifteed so I got a peak of what way the beams run. Its good news, the tank would be going with its back to a load bearing wall and also perpendicular to the floor beams. He he, now just to convince the parents into letting me get a tank and some discus!