PDA

View Full Version : Quater-sized Discus.... wat to feed them...

hao910
05-07-2005, 05:44 PM
what should I feed discus that is quater-sized??? worm??
thanks

Willie
05-07-2005, 06:07 PM
They'll eat anything at that age. Best food for putting on size, IMO, is beefheart.

Willie

Anonapersona
05-07-2005, 06:19 PM
When I got my fish at that size, I fed them homemade beefheart/shrimp and also new Life Spectrum Growth formula. The pellets are very small and are mostly krill. Wehn I babysat Aggie_67's fish I fed them that also, for the ColorBits he had were a bit too large and hard for the smaller fish and I was tired of shredding the beefheart everyday.

IMO, the way to get them to eat something new is to only feed a tiny bit. maybe 5 bits of food. One curious fish will come up and taste it, spit it out, taste again, spit it out. Then someone will get jealous and rush up to steal what he has. Then the rush is on, they all fight for it. Make them fight for it a few days before you give them enough to count as a meal.

If you can get them used to some sort of pellet food, then you can get an automatic feeder to give them more meals during the day when you are gone. You'll still want to vac the tank twice a day and change water twice a day.

Barb Newell
05-07-2005, 07:16 PM
I feed home made beefheart with banana and Kent Zoe vitamins, a variety of crushed flake (earthworm, brine shrimp, plankton, green, vitamin) and Omega Cichlid, and soaked tetra bits, shaved Hikari bloodworms, live white worms once or twice a week. I agree with Willie, best food for good growth is the beefheart.

Small frequent feedings and lots of water changes.

Barb