PDA

View Full Version : specks

du ma
05-14-2005, 12:09 AM
hi, im new in this forum and hobby so i dont know anything about discus. i recently aquired 8 discuses and 3 out of the 8 has speks on their body. can someone give me some info on what it is and how can i get rid of it? i would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

sidra
05-14-2005, 06:34 AM
Can you give more information? Are there any other symptoms? Are the specks white? What is the temperature of your tank?

korbi_doc
05-14-2005, 08:16 AM
:D :D Yes, we need more info! The 3 you speak of, what color are they? If they are red/orange type, they are called pigeons, & the black specks are normal, called peppering, & the result of (genetically) splitting up of the black bars that are normal in discus.. many red/orange discus have black spots, "pepper", but the ones that do not are called "clean" & preferred for breeding, JMO, Dottie :fish:

oodi
05-14-2005, 09:09 AM
du ma,

If you could post a pic, that would be great! It would help identify the problem, if there is one.

Judi
:)

du ma
05-15-2005, 12:51 AM
ok...i think its peppering as some of you guys stated. i got a red dragon, tangerine pearl and and another red type that had the peppering. but when i check tonight, its not as visible as yesterday. stress was the cause? i just got them yesterday

du ma
05-15-2005, 01:02 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/dumaaa/P1010103.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/dumaaa/P1010104.jpg

it may be a bit hard to see, but these guys are the ones with the peppering.

how are they as quality wise?

these are 2 inches by the way. the person who sold it to me said the peppering comes and go as they grow....is this true?

Carol_Roberts
05-15-2005, 10:47 PM
They don't have too much pepper. Color and markings are fine. The eye size is big in proportion to the body - this is most apparent in the first picture. Large eye size on two inch discus means they are older and have not grown well. They do look healthy and like they have been eating now

RyanH
05-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Hi Du Ma,

You will be doing your fish (and yourself) a huge favor by getting rid of the gravel and growing out your babies barebottom. This is especially true since they appear to be a bit behind on their growth already.

Baby Discus are much easier to take care of when you are able to keep your tank clean. Lose that gravel until they are adults and change lots of water.Your fish will thank you. :)

BTW, peppering does not "come and go as they grow". It does fade some with lighter colored backgrounds and minimized stress levels. It will always be there though. Somebody was pulling your leg. ;)

hth!
-Ryan