PDA

View Full Version : discus in a community tank?

bussardnr
05-14-2005, 04:39 PM
anyone have any info about keeping them in a community tank?

RedScorpion21
05-14-2005, 05:28 PM
What do you want to know?

Are you talking about a discus only tank or a tank with other species?

bussardnr
05-14-2005, 11:32 PM
in a tank with other species. mainly looking for general info on how to do it

Alight
05-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Only some fish are compatible with Discus. Discus are very non-aggressive for cichlids, and not compatible with any other cichlids, althought I've heard that some have had success with rams.

I keep my Discus with Siamese Algae Eaters, Otos, and Cardinal Tetras (large ones!) and all seem to be very happy. Others also keep loaches and bristle nose plecos with Discus (I'm about to add loaches myself to help keep the snails down).

The bigger problem is with planted tanks, since it's hard to keep one clean enough to keep Discus happy. I do it, but it's lots of work!

liz
05-21-2005, 01:42 PM
I have had a Discus only tank with the exception of a B/ nose Plec recently I have added two Rams which are doing very well.

Willie
05-21-2005, 03:01 PM
You can do this with adult discus. IME, young discus will not grow well in a planted community tank. Jeff Richards will disagree, of course.

Willie

KIWI13
05-22-2005, 05:13 AM
Hey there,
I have my discus in with angels, rams and cories
I have had them with the common ancistrus, cardinal tetras and neons.
I love them with angels, they make a really nice combo, check out some pics in the photo gallery by species and her tank is cool..

shaunn
05-22-2005, 08:34 AM
In my planted tank my Discus bunk up with a few Angels, Cories, Plecos, zebra danios, silver fin tetras.... I think 17 fish or more.

The only thing I would advise about keeping Angels and Discus (which are fine) is that Angels are more aggressive at grabbing food during dinner time. The Discus are very slow eaters in comparison to Angel. I rectify this by feeding twice in ten minutes.... Angels clean up faster and are full and satisfied by the second round, and the Discus get their fill eventually.

KIWI13
05-23-2005, 09:17 AM
Funny you mentioned that, I have the angels who eat at one end and the discus at the other. So it tends to be ok, I hang out with em for a good 10 to 15 mins and make sure the discus get their fair share.But that sure is a valid point you brought up.

shaunn
05-24-2005, 01:54 AM
When I feed them freeze dried tubifex cubes, I first have to put two of them and press them against the wall at one side of my tank. I wait for my plecos to find them, so while their occupied, I put three more up on the wall for the rest of the fish.

If I just put them up at them at the same time, the plecos will knock them off, and the way the water flows in my tank, they settle in (well, float to) the same place, a pocket of calm water. When this happens, the angels pig out and the Discus have a hard time getting to the food.

tpl*co
05-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Mine are bunk mates with a 5+" redline shark, longfin bristlenoses, angelious (Burmese border) loaches, von rio and yellow tail congo tetras. I have another tank with grow outs only though. I have plants in the community and they are growing fine. (though I grow in pots now and have anubias on wood, maybe that's not considered a "planted" tank to some? LOL)